mscl goes on book

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
ssc
Tino

mscl goes on book

Post by ssc » May 4th 2000, 7:45 pm

Has anyone read or in the process of reading " mscl goes on" book by Catherine Clarke? I am currently reading it and would be interested to know what other fans of the show think of it.
Also does anyone know the best days and times to go to the chatroom as I am a new member and seem to go when nobody is there!

worldsapart
Between Names

Re: mscl goes on book

Post by worldsapart » May 4th 2000, 9:04 pm

It sucks, plain and simple.

Tracey =)

ataris
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ataris » May 4th 2000, 9:08 pm

Yeah I hated it too, it's like they had completely new characters, they act nothing like they do in the show. If you want to read more about what people thought there is a thread about it in General Discussion. No one is ever in the chat rooms, you can try and set up a time to get everyone to come though...

Jack
Yearbook Team

Post by Jack » May 4th 2000, 11:21 pm

Don't hold back, Tracey, tell us what you really think.

Jack

ssc
Tino

Post by ssc » May 5th 2000, 5:58 pm

Thanks for your views guys and gals.I can tell I haven't got much to look forward to then, being a quarter way through!
Does anyone want to go to the chatroom (if it's not used very often we might as well get it running again. What do you think? ) Anyone wish to set a date and time? (UK time)

lizardcub
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lizardcub » Jun 17th 2003, 1:09 am

I am amazed (every time I think of it) that a book like MSCL...Goes On was ever published. The 'ship Catherine Clark devised is like the textbook example of bad fan fic.

Not to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it...but if you think of just about the unlikeliest character pairing imaginable, you got it.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 17th 2003, 8:25 am

but if you think of just about the unlikeliest character pairing imaginable, you got it.
Danielle and Rickie??? That would border on illegal wouldn't it? :splat:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 17th 2003, 9:44 am

mglenn wrote:
but if you think of just about the unlikeliest character pairing imaginable, you got it.
Danielle and Rickie??? That would border on illegal wouldn't it? :splat:
Hee. Gross.

:puke:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 17th 2003, 10:30 am

I haven't read this book. So, I can't really comment on it. However, I can say that I've tried to be true to the show in my fan fiction stories. It's harder to do this than you might think. I get many ideas, but I throw most of them out. That's one of the reasons why I'm down to about 2-3 scenes a week. Things sound good, but they don't work. Of course, my chronic laziness is probably a bigger factor. :wink: Writing things which are based on other people's work is both liberating and confining. It's liberating in that you aren't starting from scratch. It's confining in that you aren't starting from scratch. Does this make sense?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

larrymcg
Tino

Post by larrymcg » Jun 21st 2003, 9:55 pm

I haven't read the book either, but I read some of the original book she wrote and I hated it. I thought it was very convenient for her to stop the story before In Dreams, when there's the possibility that Brian might win Angela. Let's not complicate things. It was like a bad young adult novel.

As for the most unlikely pairing ever, I'm not sure where you're going with that. I've seen some pretty unlikely pairings in fanfics and they have worked. If Brian is involved, I think a strong case could be made for him to be involved with any of the girls; even Danielle, but that would have to be a story set a few years into the future. Bill Blais' essays interestingly seem to make a stronger argument for Brian ending up with Sharon or Rayanne than Angela. At least in the immediate future. I can see where he's going with that. I'm not saying I agree, but any of those pairings are plausible. I haven't seen Brian and Sharon together in a fanfic yet, but that would be interesting. There's at least one with Brian and Rayanne. (Cars and Kisses)

I doubt she put Jordan with Sharon or Rayanne, so I'm at a loss as to what this unlikely couple could be.

Anyways, I'm not saying the book is good. In fact, I'm sure it's awful. I just wanted to add my two cents in for some potential relationships.

Larry McGillicuddy
Larry McGillicuddy
Author of Three Days in Three Rivers

"It does better than make sense. It makes you feel. It wakes you up."

lizardcub
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lizardcub » Jun 22nd 2003, 12:07 am

larrymcg wrote:As for the most unlikely pairing ever, I'm not sure where you're going with that. I've seen some pretty unlikely pairings in fanfics and they have worked. If Brian is involved, I think a strong case could be made for him to be involved with any of the girls; even Danielle, but that would have to be a story set a few years into the future.
You want to stick with that? Brian can be involved with anyone? You sure?

[spoiler]...Her pairing is Brian and Amber.[/spoiler]

larrymcg
Tino

Post by larrymcg » Jun 22nd 2003, 12:22 am

Whoa.

I said one of the girls. I never thought they'd do a [spoiler]May-December [/spoiler] pairing and even if they were, that one doesn't make sense at all. That is just ridiculous.

Larry McGillicuddy
Larry McGillicuddy
Author of Three Days in Three Rivers

"It does better than make sense. It makes you feel. It wakes you up."

Cocolina
Tino

Post by Cocolina » Jun 22nd 2003, 1:51 pm

my so called life goesw on is book 2..no?

whats the name of the first book my so called life ??

can i read them on line

thanks

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 22nd 2003, 5:14 pm

The first book is called My So-Called Life and is a rehash of what happened in the series.

The second book is called My So-Called Life Goes On and is a sub-par fan fic kind of book that somehow managed to get published in spite of the horrid drivel that passes for a plot.

You can read the first two chapters of MSCL Goes On at Amazon
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nik
Liberty High Student

Post by Nik » Aug 15th 2003, 6:02 pm

Okay--I just read the 23 sample pages on Amazon. All I have to say is--DREK!!! She doesn't know the characters at all. Nor even all of the names correctly!

Like said before--If continuation is what you desire--definately check out the FanFic. I have read all of Shannon Bryan's and Shobi's entries. I love them. I am now deciding who's I want to read next. It is great to have so many different ideas and views about where these characters go.
Nik

“Well, I guess it depends on how-- badly you need wallpaper”
“I would say pretty badly”