Who knows? Maybe one of you guys buy this idea...

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
Fernando Lima
Frozen Embryo

Who knows? Maybe one of you guys buy this idea...

Post by Fernando Lima » May 13th 2008, 4:55 pm

Although I am quite sure you must have had an infinite amount of posts about MSCL, I am also certain that this is the first one you get from a 50 years old, male, married, Brazilian. So, before you start reading the following few poorly written sentences, I would really like to apologize for my awkward, really bad, English…

The reason I am doing this is, actually, incredibly simple! I have just recently bought MSCL complete series from the Amazon.com online store. After watching all 19 episodes and interviews, I realized the show is still as fantastic now as it was when it was released and, despite last decade's abrupt changes (9/11, the internet and etc.), everyone in my family could relate to the characters and their stories in the same way I did, back in the 90s.

But… We feel the show –desperately- must go on!! We were left in a kind of twilight zone. Anything might/could have happened. I know this will sound pathetically strange, but after finding this website, I realized that we (my family and I) are not the only souls orphaned by MSCL.

I believe it would be impossible to “restart” the series from where it stopped. The teenagers are young adults now, and that alone is a huge problem. The other worrying issue would be the cast... Maybe some of them would not even want to get back and continue their roles in MSCL...

Nevertheless, I suggest the wonderful writers here, in the fanfiction section, should try to work together on a plot that could be useful for a movie or a new season, just to let MSCL, finally, rest in peace. I am quite sure, most networks would kill for a sequence of MSCL… I read some of the episodes and I think someone should try to write a story placing the action 15 years later, on our times! I know this might sound a little awkward, but everytime I think abouy it, I have some really crazy ideas.

So, before I go on and on on this subject, I would really like to know what you guys think about it. Can you image MSCL being aired again? The gang in their mid-20s - fresh and new??
... I love to hear her speak, yet well I know/That music hath a
far more pleasing sound/I grant I never saw a goddess go/My
mistress when she walks treads on the ground/And yet, by heaven, I
think my love as rare/As any she belied with false compare.

His_Girl_Red
Jody Barsh

Re: Who knows? Maybe one of you guys buy this idea...

Post by His_Girl_Red » May 14th 2008, 2:53 pm

That sounds like it would be a dream, but I don't think any of the cast would be up for it. Jared is busy with his band (30 Seconds To Mars) and they've gotten HUGE over the last few years and with movie roles, Claire's busy doing movies/modeling, and the rest of the cast seem to have just moved on. I'm not bashing your ideas by any means because I seriously wish it could happen, but unless there's some SERIOUS divine intervention, I don't see it ever happening. But hey, we can dream, right? :D
"I was goin' nowhere,
goin' nowhere fast.
Drownin' in my memories,
livin' in the past.
Everythin' looked black 'til I found her.
She's all I need, and that's what I said.
Oooh, oooh, oooh, I call her `Red'."

Fernando Lima
Frozen Embryo

Post by Fernando Lima » May 15th 2008, 10:49 am

Hi HGRed!!

Well, I reckon it would not be an easy task to get the cast back together. But, apart from Claire and Jared, at least down here in South America, we have not seen the rest of the cast playing significant roles, either on a motion picture or on TV. It is really funny though, but yesterday (05-14-2008) was the first time I saw Jared´s 30s to Mars... I was watching TV and they showed the group singing on an ice barrier of some sort. One hell of a coincidence!

Anyway, after watching the interviews on the DVD collection, specially those with Claire and Winnie, I got the impression they actually know this was their best work ever, and it seemed they would willingly go back to the past.

I do not know how many of us, MSCL orphans, are still around... But I really believe it would not be an incredible hazard to convince most of those guys and a network to make some kind of a come back. Pressure and money!! This is how this industry moves.

The thing is, I agree with you that maybe it would be very hard to actually restart MSCL as a normal TV series. But there is always the possibility of a special sort of program, maybe a movie or a small series with 1, 2 or 3 episodes. Of course we would need a perfect script, but Mrs Holzman is a bloody genius and I am sure she could pull a few more tricks out of her hat.

Nevertheless, we can dream, right? So, I decided to post my story here just in case...

Well, here it comes…

It would begin on the day Angela asks Brian who really wrote the letter and Jordan Catalano picks her up in front of Brian’s house and they leave. This is the very last scene we had of MSCL. So it is quite interesting to start the new plot from there.

On the sequence, their car gets hit by a bus that could not manage to stop at a red light. Angela falls into a deep coma for the next 12 years. She wakes up on our days, to find out that Jordan survived the accident, completely unharmed, and although he is not at all responsible for the unfortunate accident, he leaves town.

(I really think that putting Angela in a coma for ten years (!) is a rather bold move, and maybe a little painful. But I can not see another solution for freezing the plot. In order to have some kind of continuity, and because we all are deeply involved with Angeli-ka, I think most people would hate (I know I would!) to miss Angela’s post teenager’s years. So, despite the fact that life went on for the rest of her friends and relatives, she is still the same person she used to be. Of course she will have some problems to ajust herself to this new reality. But we all know that Angela was really very bright and mature. Her thoughts and concerns were actually clearer and made a lot more sense than most of mine - although at the time I was already in my mid-30s… )

Sharon is a psychiatrist and, currentely, works as an intern on the same Hospital Angela is a patient. She is single, still very beautiful, popular and independent but, mostly due to her demanding job, she does not have a “life”. However, despite the hard work she usually has to put up every day, throughout these past years Sharon has been very concerned about Angela's health and has been a constant presence by her bed.

Brian Kracow becomes one of those internet genius of the early 90’s, and is very rich, but he is still an “outsider”, a kind of isolated nerd, always immersed on some nonsense scientific/mechanical experiment. Of course he is also single and unhappy. His mother has breast cancer and insists on being treated at the same hospital Angela is staying. Nevertheless, he has paid a few visits to Angela over the past ten years, but has never bumped into Sharon.

Patty and Graham are no longer together. After the accident things got really out of control, but he went on and opened the restaurant with Hallie Lowenthal. The restaurant lasted only for a couple of years, mostly because Graham lacked a formal chef education and he could not manage the kitchen and his employees accordingly. The food was great, though. He is currently the owner of a small café-bistro, and this time things are working out perfectly well. He is dating a young african american waitress, who is as old Angela. He is in therapy, and despite his successful business, he misses Patty, the girls, the house and his former life as a family man.

Patty stills runs the printing business and Ricky, now an accomplished designer, has become her partner in the firm. They are specialized in creating marketing campaigns for cultural events and for the theater industry. Ricky actually dated that boy in high-school and found out that he could draw and paint too. He has a boyfriend, an actor, and he is the only one really happy. Patty is still very much like what she used to be, but not quite as pragmatic. She is thrilled by Angela’s somewhat fast recovery ( the thing is: at the time the show was aired in Brazil, I simple could not comprehend Patty’s parental neurosis… but, nowadays, I have become really fond of her character and, because I am a parent myself I truly understand her worries and ways… ) So, I think we should get Patty and Graham back together, but not without leaving some hints about the few boyfriends she has had after the separation from Graham. Ah!! Of course, mostly due to Angela’s accident, they never bothered to get divorced...This might spice things up.

And last, but not least, Rayanne is in prison, because she was caught armed, robbing a gas station with Tino. She should leave prison at the same time Angela leaves the hospital.

(Angela and Rayanne are my favorite characters, and Brian comes in as a close 3rd. So by doing this -the coma and the imprisionement- the action has been stalled for both characters and, best of all, we did not miss anything really important since the 90s...)

From this point onwards, I really do not care how the plot develops.

BUT… Eventually…

Well, Catalano reappears on the scene, and I thought that maybe he could be a partner/employee/designer of a fairly successful Chopper Garage. He could be a poorer but happier version of those sad guys in American Chopper. ( I thought that becoming a mechanic was the easiest way to assure Jordan a kind future. After all, the only glimpse we ever caught of his house was that of a somewhat shabby garage – but I definitely spotted a few organized tools hanging from a wall and, in this particular scene, he was doing something on the car's engine. Anyway, he was a terrible student, not stupid though...). Or maybe he could have become an airplane pilot, and is a sort of an acrobatic ace, although he makes his living spraying insecticides over plantations… I do not want him to become a musician for this might raise the show’s budget to an impossible figure. But the drawback is that he is a single father – he always was a rightful type of guy – and has a beautiful red headed 4 years old girl, named Angela! The mother fled, or is on a re-hab clinic but they are not together, in fact, they NEVER were! He really loves his daughter and does his best to be a good father.

Angela would be devastated by her long period in coma, but she is healthy again. She is still a VIRGIN at the age of 28, and is very eager to carry on with her life. She would immediately bond with Sharon and Brian, but would be a little suspicious about Ricky and his friendship with her mother. Patty and Ricky find out that, somehow, they are soul mates! Rayanne, unaware of Angela’s recovery, would knock on Patty’s front door, looking for Ricky. Whatever happens from here does not matter... as long as they reunite their friendship.

Angela decides to take a degree in literature. (I loved the "oak" poem...)

On a rainy day, Angela and Sharon are on their way to the Hospital – Angela has to attend these physiotherapy sessions - and Sharon’s car’s engine dies. She cannot get it to start. Catalano, riding a classic Harley, is passing by and he sees Angela and Sharon. He stops, thinking he is probably living one of those twilight zone experiences, and so that is how the “meet cute” happens (I got that from a Cameron Diaz movie .......... )

And this is it so far...

I would probably start something between Sharon and Brian. But it would have to begin before Angela wakes up.

Anyway... Just really dreaming and looking foward to hearing some contributions from you guys... :mrgreen:

And HGRed, thanks!!
... I love to hear her speak, yet well I know/That music hath a
far more pleasing sound/I grant I never saw a goddess go/My
mistress when she walks treads on the ground/And yet, by heaven, I
think my love as rare/As any she belied with false compare.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 16th 2008, 2:45 am

There are several existing discussions about ideas for MSCL reunion shows. Just a few you might be interested in:
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3807
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2151
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2776
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=834
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2526
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1476

If you are interested in Winnie Holzman's ideas for a second season, you can read about them here.

We prefer not to have tons of duplicate threads about the same topics, so in the future please use the search function.

If you would like to expand your story into a fan fiction, feel free to post it here in the Fan Fiction Forum.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?