Help developing certain character storylines

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 24th 2004, 6:04 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:Well, I actually ended up writing in a pregancy in for Sharon. :? I never wanted to do this, it just seemed so expected, and it seemed like it would make MSCL a little too like an after-school-special. .... I wrote the pregnancy in after reading someone's post about having Winnie come in to speak to her class at Berkely and saying that she saw it happening.
Okay, I'm thinking of cutting the pregnancy. I like the actual scenes I've written, but I just don't see it being very likely that Sharon would end up getting pregnant. I would really like to avoid the predictable didactic storyline of "oh, you have sex in high school, then you'll end up pregnant". I'm just uncomfortable with it at as a MSCL storyline because it just seems so contrived for drama rather than what would actually happen in Sharon's life. Yes, people do get pregnant by mistake, even responsible people who are very conscientous about birth control sometimes do get pregnant, but many more do not. Any thoughts? (See this thread for Winnie Holzman's ideas for future storylines.)
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Aug 25th 2004, 10:55 am

Well, my stories, for the most part, take place well into the future, 10 years or so after the series ended. However, I deal with the typical Episode 20 issues. I decided not to have any of the characters get pregnant in their teens. The writers of MSCL take a strong stand, through Sharon, by advocating birth control. So, I think it would be unlikely that they would allow one of the characters to become pregnant. Their message seems to be "safe sex," not "no sex." Additionally, I take the part of the plot that deals with Patty's possible pregnancy in "The Zit" and apply it to Sharon, who is married when it happens to her. Of course, she actually becomes pregnant. Rayanne also becomes pregnant. She is unmarried, but she is an adult. So, I guess that my theme is that adults make mistakes. They forget and/or become careless. Today's teenagers, on the other hand, are more careful (or they should be with AIDS, etc.). I knew girls who got pregnant in high school. I'd like to think that it's less likely to happen now. I'd also like to think that more teenagers use protection. Maybe they don't, but they would probably be more likely to use protection if the people on TV did. MSCL preaches, and the message makes sense. Of course, a teen pregnancy can lead to sensational plot lines. Maybe the writers would have tried to boost ratings by going that route.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Dec 12th 2004, 5:04 pm

I have been home sick all weekend and decided to dedicate the time to some good reading and working on my fanfictions. Aaahh, it is so frustrating. Piecing together bits and pieces of dialogue into cohesive, and hopefully somewhat authentic, episodes is doing nothing to help my pounding head. And I'm still having a tough time with storylines for Rickie and Rayanne. They're in the episodes, but more to facilitate other characters' scenes. Also, every time I try to eliminate Kyle from the story, he keeps wedging himself back in. (No, I'm not trying to "off" him.) And I'm finding it hard to write dialogue for Hallie. I love her, but I find it difficult to write her. I mean, really, how do you top "Well -- this utterly sucks"? There's also the age old problem of just rehashing scenes we've already seen. Like, how many time can Graham make a joke about Angela's personal life with Jordan before it just becomes a bit? Maybe it's time to return to my reading.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 21st 2005, 2:41 am

Wow! I just went through and read every word in this forum (fighting a neck-ache throughout 8) ). I am through fully impressed. I love the relationship you have "brewed" up for Angela and Jordan, and would like to be sent anything and everything you have written for your 10 year, and present fan-fics. I will be happy to give you plenty of feed-back
Thank you, and once again, wonderfully written.

fernando1658@aol.com

(I really mean anything and everything!)

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 26th 2005, 4:40 pm

Jody... where are you????!!!! :(

I'm still dying to read these!!!!!
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Space Goast- (Turns to Thom Yorke) Is that right?
Thom- ...No.
Space Goast- Cuz it sounds like a good idea... so do it.

-Space Goast With Thom Yorke

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 27th 2005, 2:58 pm

okay... it appears that Jody has left... does anyone have a copy of her stories that can send them to me? Would that be wrong??? :wink:

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Feb 4th 2005, 11:50 pm

Hey, I'm here. I'm sorry to have left you hanging. Life and work, well mainly work, since that's just about all the life I have these days, have been consuming me, and I havn't been around the forum for weeks and weeks. Anyway, my computer is down right now -- it won't turn on, even though I JUST had that fixed -- but when it does get fixed, I would be more that happy to send you what I have, although it is really, really rough for the most part. But I sincerely appreciate your interest, and look forward to any feed back you have. I'll get it to you as soon as work and the Mac people allow!

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Feb 5th 2005, 4:05 pm

Thanks for responding :eggface: . I hope I didn't come off as a nag, I just really like your stories so far.

Thanks again- and sorry to hear about your computer. It must be frustrating. :x
Moltar- Well hey, Thom asked me if he could see my knife, and Thom's doing a song about knife, and he wanted to see what one looked like. Isn't that right Thom? (Pulls out knife again)
Thom- ...No.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 9th 2005, 5:33 am

I sent you like 13 documents. Be forewarned, they are really rough. Sorry it took so long.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Mar 10th 2005, 1:46 pm

Just in case you didn't get my e-mail, thanks again! :P
Thom- ...No.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 10th 2005, 8:44 pm

I did, thank you. Hope they prove to be at least mildly entertaining while you're stuck in bed. Feel better soon.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 20th 2005, 8:45 pm

Thank you so for reading all that stuff TC4S, I totally appreciate it.

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Mar 21st 2005, 10:15 pm

No problem! I just hope I can find some time this week to look deep into your other stories-- Spring break is coming up, so there is a good chance I will get back to you with the rest. Thanks for commenting back-- helps a lot, and I enjoy hearing what you have to say, as well as your stories.

Keep writing, Love them!
:D

P.S> I will try to think of some over-all storylines, or missing scene ideas for you... Right now, I'm not much help-- my mind is totally blocked from any amount of long term thinking... Spring break has that affect! :P
Thom- ...No.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 21st 2005, 11:25 pm

Dude, I totally hear that! I am counting the seconds until spring break, alas, it's still two weeks away! :x :cry:

Gilly
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Gilly » Mar 22nd 2005, 2:55 am

Hey Jodi Barsch, I have read some of your stories. I love the ones that are already here. If you have any other stories I would love to read them!