Future Fan Fic Project?

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 24th 2003, 1:29 am

Just when you thought it was safe to read the forum, here's another scene. This scene doesn't so much bring the story closer to a conclusion as muddy the waters. But the images seemed so strong, I had to write them.

Part Thirty – Lost and Found

Location: Auditorium at the university, Chase house, the campus grounds, early morning. Angela is finishing teaching a class. Danielle, who spent the night at her parents’ house, is making coffee.

[Auditorium]

Angela – Okay, that’s all for today. Remember that your term papers are due next week. There are no excuses for late papers.

Angela VO* -- I feel sort of creepy when I speak like a teacher. No excuses for late papers -- give me a break.

(Angela walks up the steps towards the exit. Students gather their belongings. An older man emerges from the crowd. Angela stops walking. All of the students exit.)

Angela – Why, it’s Shelby Preston Garrett – I’m not sure if I should curtsy or not.

(Shelby bows.)

Shelby – A curtsy isn’t necessary.

Angela – What brings you to this side of the campus? Slumming?

Shelby – I came to speak to you. I obviously don’t need a refresher on Nathaniel Hawthorne. You are wasting your time teaching freshman survey courses. You should be writing full time.

Angela – Let’s talk while walking, shall we? I have to get back to my apartment and finish packing.

[Chase house]

[Someone knocks on the front door.]

Danielle – I’ll get it!

(Danielle leaves the kitchen and walks to the living room.)

Patty (walking downstairs) – Ask who it is first.

Danielle – Mom, I’m not eleven.

Patty – Humor me.

(Danielle rolls her eyes and stops at the door.)

Danielle – Who is it?

Peter [from outside] – Peter Ellis.

(Danielle looks at Patty, who shrugs. Danielle opens the door.)

Peter – Hi.

Danielle – Hi.

Peter – Is this the Chase house?

Patty – Yes, it is.

Peter – Well, of course it is. What a silly question to ask. You are Mrs. Patricia Chase. And you are Miss Danielle Chase.

(Danielle looks at Patty.)

Danielle – Mom?

[The campus grounds]

(Shelby, who is behind Angela by several paces, starts to run. He runs past Angela and sits on a bench. Angela laughs. She stops at the bench.)

Shelby – I could never keep up with you when you have to be somewhere. Please have a seat. I’ll tell you why I’m here.

(Angela sits on the bench. She turns toward Shelby.)

Angela – Okay, why are you here?

Shelby – I need to get the ring back.

Angela – The ring?

Shelby – Come on. The engagement ring I gave you, my grandmother’s ring.

Angela – I’m not wearing it.

Shelby – Of course not. But can you give it back to me?

Angela VO* -- It’s at this moment when I realize that I don’t have any idea where the ring could be.

[Chase house, kitchen]

(Peter finishes his orange juice. He puts the glass on the table.)

Peter – Angela had your pictures on her desk in her dorm room. You guys haven’t changed hardly at all.

Patty (blushing) – More juice, Peter?

Peter – Sure. [to Danielle] Well, that’s not totally true. You’ve changed a little bit.

Danielle – I have?

Peter – Oh, yes. You’ve changed just enough to notice.

Danielle – Notice what?

Peter – Umm…Now that I’m pinned down. You’ve grown up.

(Danielle blushes. Patty hands Peter a glass of juice.)

Peter – Thanks.

[The bench]

(Angela stands.)

Angela – So, I’ll get the ring back to you just as soon as I get back from home.

(Shelby stands.)

Shelby – That sounds good to me.

Angela – You know, this is kind of an ironic situation.

Shelby – Is it?

Angela – Yes, it is. It’s ironic that the woman who you were seeing while you were dating me will be wearing my ring.

Shelby – Well, you can keep it if you want. I just thought it might be good to keep it in the family.

Angela – No, I don’t want it. I’ll get it back to you first thing.

Shelby – See you Monday.

Angela – See you Monday.

(Angela starts to walk away.)

Shelby – Angela! (Angela stops and turns to face him.) The hammer was a nice touch in your story. I guess I deserved it.

Angela – You deserved it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/