Huge (2010)

Discuss former or new projects of Winnie Holzman (creator of "My So-Called Life") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

ABC Family cancels "Huge"

Post by Sascha » Oct 5th 2010, 5:35 am

Bad news once again: ABC Family will not renew "Huge" for a second season.

In a statement to EW, the show’s creators, mother-daughter team Winnie Holzman and Savannah Dooley, said: “First and foremost, we want to thank everyone who embraced Huge and supported it. While it’s disappointing not to be able to go forward with the characters we love so much and had so many plans for, we’re deeply grateful to have had this opportunity. Our goal was and is to create TV of depth and complexity that inspires people to think and feel. We believe we accomplished that with Huge and we can’t wait to do it again.”

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Winnie Holzman: New TV project for ABC Family ("Huge")

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2010, 3:29 am

Noooooooo! What a bummer because it was such a good show.

:(
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Oct 6th 2010, 1:42 pm

Goodness, networks are stupid. I get a feeling I'm going to start watching only stuff that was canceled in its first season ;)

I checked out the other recent cancelations in the link you posted, Sasha, and there are two shows that were canceled after TWO episodes. I wasn't particularly interested in these two, but seriously, why can't networks but just a bit more reasonable and patient? And, you know, in the case of Huge, interested in quality in addition to profit?
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2010, 3:22 am

I watched Lone Star and My Generation (both of which were canceled after two episodes) and while they weren't necessarily The Best Shows Ever, it annoys me that the networks spend millions of dollars on writers, actors, crew, and then cancel a show before it has a chance to find an audience. Usually at the beginning of the fall season, I'm still trying to figure out which show is on what network on which night because there's so much going on. I'm open to trying new shows, but that means I end up recording or watching online.

At least in this day and age when a show is cut early in the season, there is hope that the remaining episodes will be available online but back in the olden days, the audience was just left hanging.

I'm more upset about Huge because I had time to get to know these characters and care about them. It's hard for me to care too much about a show I've only seen twice. Although when I put it that way, Huge had only ten episodes but I grew to love the characters!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Oct 11th 2010, 1:55 am

So I decided to watch Huge this weekend (instead of doing all the work I should be doing), and I just finished watching episode 8. At first, I didn't really enjoy watching it cause I couldn't relate to the characters. I was seeing their fatness as a big part of the theme(s) of the show. But now, I really started liking it, and I'm seeing all this other stuff beyond the fatness theme (which, I'm starting to think, isn't really a theme at all, but more like a McGuffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mcguffin). Winnie Holzman has done a great job once again. (And I'm going to miss the show!)

P.S. The only difference I'm finding so far is that there was seriously no character in MSCL who I disliked (except for the principal maybe), which is rare for me. And in Huge, there's a few people I don't quite like.
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Oct 11th 2010, 9:22 pm

I've only seen the first four episodes and I thought they were very well done. I can see why the show didn't immediately resonate with the broad American audience, but so much of the best television out there doesn't. TV ratings are about the lowest common denominator. I'm sure we'll see more of her work in the future!