Wilson Cruz in Joyride (1997)

Discuss former or new projects of Wilson Cruz ("Rickie Vasquez") in this forum.
Khatt
Jody Barsh

Wilson Cruz in Joyride (1997)

Post by Khatt » Jul 22nd 2002, 6:56 pm

There was a BAD BAD straight to video (I think) movie made a few years back called Joyride. Not to be confused with the new movie with Paul Walker et. al. This was one of the worst movies I've seen... It has Tobey Maguire and Benicio Del Toro in it as well. But Wilson Cruz's part is fairly major so I thought I'd mention it here, because I didn't see anyone else make any mention of it.

If you can find it, it is worth a look just to see how much of a train wreck it is. Fun for the whole family! Or at least the older members.

James.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 22nd 2002, 9:52 pm

He's doing that new movie with Macauley Culkin.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Wilson Cruz in Joyride

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 1st 2002, 8:42 am

James, I am scared very scared of this movie after reading your comments. Interestingly enough, I taped this from cable but haven't had a chance to watch it. At least I have been warned! BTW, MSCL fans, this movie should be airing again soon on cable, so I'll try to post the info when it gets closer to the air date so we can all share in the train wreck. :lol:

BTW, dTheater, I saw your post on another thread and it awakened me to post again. Actually, I had a multitude of things happen that kept me away for a bit, including a virus that wiped my hard drive, but hopefully I'll be back in full force just in time to salivate over those DVDs. :D
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Khatt
Jody Barsh

Post by Khatt » Aug 1st 2002, 8:07 pm

Well... maybe it's not as bad as I said. That's just the way I remember it. It's a B-movie to be sure, and should be judged by those criteria. It's always a shame to see such good actors do such bad work. Take it with a grain of salt, and if anyone else agrees with me, or disagrees with me, let me know.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Wilson Cruz in Joyride airs early 8/4

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 3rd 2002, 8:00 am

This movie is slated to air early Sunday, 8/4, on Showtime from 4 to 5:45 a.m. EST.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Wilson Cruz in Joyride

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 3rd 2002, 8:49 pm

Well, Khatt, I finally got around to watching this one. You were right that it was definitely B-movie quality. Perhaps it was because I was watching it on a lazy Saturday afternoon, but I didn't find it as horrible as I thought it would be. Then again, I didn't pay to rent it so maybe that was why.

SPOILERS

It was interesting to see Wilson Cruz playing a role similar to early Rickie from MSCL. I do wonder, though, why he chose to do this movie. Was it one of many scripts he had auditioned for and landed, or was he friends with someone in the production? In any case, I don't think it would really be part of his clip file in the future.

The only thing I really liked, although it was somewhat predictable, was the twist at the end.

Khatt
Jody Barsh

Post by Khatt » Aug 8th 2002, 5:21 pm

I agree with what you said about his role. It was a bit of an awkward choice, especially if he didn't want to get type-cast. Perhaps it was just a matter of him wanting an honest portrayal of those types of roles in contrast to the Robin Williams in The Birdcage scenario...

Either way. It's an okay movie if you know what you're getting going in, but my friend and I watched it with no warning as to how awful it would be, and just watched it because we were incredibly huge MSCL fans... (we posted posters all around our high school BEGGING people to watch it)

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

I appreciated the heads up, Khatt

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 9th 2002, 3:23 am

You are totally right that not knowing what you would be getting into when watching this was definitely not an advantage. So did you have anyone wanting to beat you up after they watched the movie because of your posters around school? Or was no one willing to admit s/he checked it out?

Khatt
Jody Barsh

Post by Khatt » Aug 10th 2002, 6:14 pm

Oh no... the posters were not for the movie... that would have been cruel. I would never recommend this movie to people like that. At least not without the proper warning. The posters were actually for My So-Called Life. I realize that I'm dating myself by saying that I was in high-school when the show was still on the air, but I'm assuming that many of the people on this board most likely were.

This movie is that special kind of thing that if you haven't been properly warned about, it's really not gonna be very good. And if you HAVE been warned about it... it's still not gonna be very good, but at least you'll be expecting the B-Movie goodness that it has to offer.
"If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts."

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Khatt's MSCL posters

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 11th 2002, 6:29 pm

I have no idea what I was thinking when I wondered about your Joyride posters around school. That makes absolutely no sense in retrospect so forgive my huge brain fart.

So what were on these posters, and did you save any of them? I think it would be fun for the people here to check that out if you still have them around somewhere.

Khatt
Jody Barsh

Post by Khatt » Aug 19th 2002, 6:24 pm

Well...

What the posters were SUPPOSED to be for was the school's food drive. I went to the most apathetic high school in the history of the universe though, so there really wasn't any point in trying to do the "conventional" ways of reminding students to donate and stuff... so my friend and I just kinda went a little nuts with the posters. The front of the school's poster paper had a border going around it that said "What's on..." at the top. So we filled in under the heading on one of the posters "My So-Called Life. Thursdays at 9:00 pm on channel 5. WATCH IT!!"

This was just one of the posters that we plastered around the school... and I know there were people who would just read them to see what we put up, including the ONE time they decided that our poster, however true, could not be posted in the actual hallways. But THAT's a story for another time.
"If dreams are like movies, then memories are films about ghosts."

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

The time has come

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 21st 2002, 1:24 pm

Thanx for the details. It sounds like you were a true blue fan even back in the day.
Khatt wrote:But THAT's a story for another time.
You can't make a statement like that and then not tell us the story, so spill.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Wilson Cruz in Joyride

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Nov 5th 2002, 6:40 am

According to Zap2It.com, this movie is slated to air on The Movie Channel Tuesday, 11/5, at 4:05 p.m. EST.