Wilson Cruz in Party Monster (2003)

Discuss former or new projects of Wilson Cruz ("Rickie Vasquez") in this forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Wilson Cruz in Party Monster (2003)

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 20th 2003, 10:02 pm

Wilson's latest movie is premiering at the Sundance Film Festival as we speak. Keep your fingers crossed that it does well and finds a distributor!

The Sundance summary of the movie:
Steeping the screen in '80s music and club culture, filmmakers Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato enlist a keen and highly imaginative filmmaking style to recreate the disturbing events that led to the famed murder of Angel Melendez.

Party Monster, based on the book Disco Bloodbath, focuses on the relationship between Michael Alig and James St. James, two kids from the Midwest who found their way to New York and reinvented themselves as "fabulous" people. James initiated Michael into the New York club scene, but it was Michael who made it into the limelight. Club kids were drawn to him and became the Lost Boys to his Peter Pan. Nothing with Michael was ever done in moderation, including his initiation into the fine-tuned world of designer drugs. But his invented perfect life came spiraling down and was finally halted with an atrocious act of murder.

Macaulay Culkin, as Michael, makes a brave and miraculous transition to adult actor, adopting his real-life counterpart's extreme charisma and the telltale twinkle in his eye. Seth Green and the rest of the cast stay out of the shadows as characters necessary to the successful forging of this cautionary tale. Directors Bailey and Barbato pull out all the stops to creatively craft a veritable cinematic collage. In their version of Party Monster, hallucinations turn revelatory, overdoses serve as rights of passage, and one lost boy's tale is told without apology.
Yes, Seth Green (Oz on Buffy) and Macauley Culkin (of Home Alone fame) costar. Wilson plays Angel, Michael's roommate. Wilmer Valderrama (Fez on That 70s Show) also appears.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 4th 2003, 8:02 pm

FYI - Party Monster is opening in limited release this weekend. Funny that Wilson Cruz is playing another character named Angel who lives in New York.

:D

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 5th 2003, 12:01 am

You can read the New York Times review of this movie here (free registration required). What they had to say about Wilson Cruz:
The movie's treatment of Angel (and its waste of Mr. Cruz, who displays more subtlety of feeling than either Mr. Green or Mr. Culkin) is symptomatic of its self-serving superficiality.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 5th 2003, 1:31 am

candygirl wrote:
The movie's treatment of Angel (and its waste of Mr. Cruz, who displays more subtlety of feeling than either Mr. Green or Mr. Culkin) is symptomatic of its self-serving superficiality.
Well, knowing people who knew the people this is based on, and meeting a few of them myself, that is the closest thing to the reality of these kids. Their whole existence was a self-serving superficiality. Guess the movie is spot on ;) :lol:

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 9th 2005, 1:34 am

I just saw this movie over the christmas break. I thought that Wilson Cruz did a great job. I agree that the review of him was accurate. it was also refreshing to see him in a different role for a change. I liked him being dark and not so friendly.