Devon Gummersall on State of Mind

Discuss former or new projects of Devon Gummersall ("Brian Krakow") in this forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Devon Gummersall on State of Mind

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 20th 2007, 7:03 pm

Info from the Lifetime press release:
Lifetime Orders Production of 'State of Mind,' A New One-Hour Drama Series Starring Lili Taylor

From Shephard/Robin Productions and Warner Horizon Television to Premiere this Summer on Lifetime Television Series Executive Produced by Greer Shephard and Michael Robin, ('The Closer,' 'Nip/Tuck')

PASADENA, Calif., Jan. 11 -- Lifetime Television has ordered production of "State of Mind," a quirky and comedic new drama series starring Lili Taylor ("Six Feet Under") as a brilliant, take-charge therapist whose personal problems rival those of her eclectic and offbeat patients, it was announced today by Susanne Daniels, President, Entertainment, Lifetime Entertainment Services. "State of Mind" joins the previously announced "Army Wives" as the second new drama to be ordered for 2007.

Filmed in Los Angeles, the ensemble cast is led by Taylor and also includes Derek Riddell ("No Angels"), Mido Hamada ("The Path to 9/11"), Kevin Chamberlin (Two-time Tony(R) Award winner, Broadway's "Dirty Blond," "Seussical"), Lolita Davidovich ("The L Word"), and Devon Gummersall ("Relativity," "My So-Called Life"). Greer Shephard and Michael Robin, executive producers of "Nip/Tuck" and "The Closer," serve as executive producers of "State of Mind." The pilot, also directed by Michael Robin, was written by best-selling author and practicing psychotherapist Amy Bloom. The series is produced by Shephard/Robin Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television for Lifetime Television.

"We're thrilled to have brought the talents of Lili Taylor to Lifetime in a new drama series produced by cable hit makers Greer Shephard and Mike Robin. Lili's character is imminently relatable and we know our viewers will instantly connect with her," said Daniels in making the announcement.

"Lifetime has boldly provided us with a wonderful creative opportunity to show therapists' lives from a real therapist's point-of-view," said Executive Producer Greer Shephard. Adding, "It is this type of innovative programming that makes the cable playground a terrific place to play."

In "State of Mind," Dr. Ann Bellows (Taylor) finds her life at a crossroads after she catches her husband, Phil, a fellow psychiatrist, having sex with their own couple's counselor. As her personal life is suddenly crumbling, Ann begins to feel she might be as much in need of psychiatric help as her patients.

As Ann attempts to continue on with both her personal and professional lives, she is comforted by her colleagues at New Haven Psychiatrist Associates, a rambling Victorian house-turned-office which accommodates multiple therapists.

They include: Dr. James Le Croix (Riddell), an eccentric child psychiatrist whose unconventional treatment methods are often times considered radical by others; Dr. Cordelia Banks (Davidovich), a resourceful Southern belle who sees her clients between internet shopping sprees and a secret office romance she shares with the married and highly regarded analyst Dr. Taj Kalid (Hamada); and sarcastic and socially awkward office manager, Fred Smedresman (Chamberlin), whose job is to keep the office running at an efficient pace while being a recreational shrink and a first class snoop.

In need of a new tenant to replace her husband's office space after he unceremoniously skips out on her life and the practice, Ann meets transplanted Minnesotan Barry White (Gummersall), a sweet, sheepish young man who is a newly minted lawyer in need of an office and agrees to fill the vacancy. He soon tries to adjust to life being among four therapists, which includes constant ribbing about his famous namesake.

Warner Horizon Television was founded to produce lower-budget scripted and reality primetime series for network and cable marketplaces. This additional production entity allows the Warner Bros. Television Group to expand its programming offering and explore creative options made possible under a new business model.

Lifetime is the leader in women's television and one of the top-rated basic cable television networks. A diverse, multi-media company, Lifetime is committed to offering the highest quality entertainment and information programming, and advocating a wide range of issues affecting women and their families. Lifetime Television, LMN, Lifetime Real Women, Lifetime Home Entertainment and Lifetime Online (http://www.lifetimetv.com) are part of Lifetime Entertainment Services, a 50/50 joint venture of The Hearst Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.
Devon is playing a character named Barry White.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 10th 2007, 3:30 pm

Just to remind everyone: Devon's new show "State of Mind" starts this sunday (July 15th) at 9 pm et/pt on Lifetime.

You can watch a trailer here:
http://www.gofish.com:80/player.gfp?gfid=30-1128465

or if you're in the US, you can watch the entire pilot episode right now:
http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/stateofmind/index.php
Last edited by Sascha on Jul 16th 2007, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Interview with Devon Gummersall

Post by Sascha » Jul 13th 2007, 10:45 am

There's a new interview with Devon Gummersall over at TVGuide.com.

He talks about his new show and also "My So-Called Life".
TVGuide.com: I've actually seen a bunch of the stuff that you’ve done, but I have to say that when this interview request came through, I was like, “Brian Krakow!” Do you get that a lot still?
Gummersall: Yeah, absolutely, and it never gets old. I never get tired of talking about it or anything, because My So-called Life was such a great experience on all levels, and such a special show. And look, those episodes, they still hold up. You watch them today and they’re still just as impressive as they were back then. The writing is so fantastic. I think the fact that Winnie Holzman went on to write Wicked really shows how talented and versatile she is. I am such a huge, huge fan of My So-called Life, and I never get sick of talking about it.

TVGuide.com: Whenever somebody’s like, “What were your five favorite TV shows?” My So-called Life always comes up.
Gummersall: It’s gotta be up there, I agree. I’m glad you feel that way, too.

TVGuide.com: Well, I’ll be glad to see you now that, you know, you're grown up.
Gummersall: That was the thing about My So-called Life: It did take a long time to get people to see me in a different light, just because that character was so well drawn. But I was joking about my manager with that — we made such an effort to sort of play different kinds of roles and explore darker characters that I was going to be typecast now as the bad guy! But I’ve come full circle now, so I’m back to something in the middle.
Read the entire interview at TVGuide.com.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 21st 2007, 3:49 am

And yet another (audio) interview with Devon over at buddytv.com

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/state-o ... -8503.aspx