Jared Leto in Requiem for a Dream

Discuss former or new projects of Jared Leto ("Jordan Catalano") in this forum.
Dengar
Jody Barsh

Requiem for a Dream

Post by Dengar » May 27th 2001, 11:48 am

hey. havent seen any news about jared letos new movies, so thought id comment. probably many of you know, he is in Fight Club (for like 5 min), and American Physco (excalent performance), but there was this little publicised movie by Darin Aranofsky called Requiem for a Dream. Jared plays a heroin addict named Harry. now its not some stupid stoner "dazed and confused" type movie either. if anyone has ever seen PI, its much the same style. not being much of a fan of Clair Danes movies,(good performances, crapy movies) i have to say this movie lets jared show his true acting prowess, much the same as MSCL alowed Clair to show off hers. ok, well sorry about the novel.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Requiem for a Dream

Post by emmie » May 28th 2001, 7:57 pm

Aronovsky is a great director. I love to see movies that do something no one else has. it was extremely intense but couldn't have been done without good acting. I think all 4 actors were excellent. it always makes me happy to see one of my favorite actors get to play a role like the one Jared got. I get so frustrated when actors/actresses play the same boring roles in the big name Hollywood movies. at least Jared has tried some different things.

emmie

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Requiem for a Dream

Post by mglenn » Jun 2nd 2001, 3:40 pm

I haven't seen Requiem yet, But I loved Pi. But talkin about smaller lesser known movies got me thinking and I'd like to recommend Before Sunrise. It stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. Also I would recommend Momento... All three (Pi, BS, Monmento) are excellent movies and I highly recommend them if you enjoy movies that make you think a little bit after you've watched them.

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

momento

Post by emmie » Jun 3rd 2001, 5:26 pm

I thought Momento was incredibly unique. I don't think I"ve ever seen a movie quite like that. it was confusing at first and took some getting used to the idea that the movie was moving backwards. I loved that even though you knew the ending, it still kept you guessing. this one definitely keeps you thinking long afterwards.

emmie

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 1st 2002, 8:37 am

I know this has been discussed on the board previously, but for some reason I can't find the other threads related to this so I figured I would start a new one. Besides, I don't remember us discussing the movie in detail but I do remember countless numbers here recommending watching this one and I'm glad you did. More on that below.

MSCL's Jordan plays Harry Goldfarb, an addict, in this 2000 drama that Gist.com describes as "Brooklynites want to better their lives. Based on the book by Hubert Selby Jr."

The movie is slated to air early Saturday, 8/3, on Showtime Beyond from 1 to 2:45 a.m. EST. I will warn you that I previously watched this movie on cable, albeit a different channel, and I only got to see the "edited" version.

SPOILERS

I'm still hoping to get a chance to rent the movie so that I can see it in its entirety. It was definitely tripped out and one of Jared's best performances. He really conveyed the depths of addiction quite well. And it was great to see him in a such a different role from what he played on MSCL. Nothing against his great portrayal of Jordan Catalano, but I really enjoy when actors exhibit that they can play a wide variety of roles.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

just-likeKrakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by just-likeKrakow » Aug 2nd 2002, 11:03 am

Though all the actors did WONDERFUL jobs in this film...

No other movie has made me more depressed. Still just thinking back on the movie makes me feel down and somewhat creeped out. Now that's acting!
\"She asked me if I could come over tonight and explain congruent triangles to her.\"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Aug 2nd 2002, 7:06 pm

Jennifer Connelly's Oscar should've been for this movie.

By the way, the "edited" version only removed a few quick shots from the orgy at the end. Otherwise, it's the same.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Aug 3rd 2002, 4:04 am

Thanx for letting me know what was missing from the edited version, dTheater. I should have known it was something having to do with sex! It's good to know that I didn't miss some major portion of the movie. And ITA that Jennifer Connelly was stunning in this movie. Maybe it was too dark for the Academy to really recognize this one.
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Aug 3rd 2002, 2:27 pm

I should add that if you plan on renting the DVD, the "director's cut", while really being no different than the edited version of the movie, does contain a bunch of fancy extra features while the edited version hardly has anything.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Khatt
Jody Barsh

Post by Khatt » Aug 8th 2002, 5:31 pm

I'm not sure what features the edited DVD has... but I bought the director's cut, and loved it. I watched pretty much all the features, and loved the DVD menu screen. I agree that Jennifer Connely should have been recognized for this picture, and that Ellen Burstyn should have won the best actress and not Julia... but I digress. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with in that Oscar year, as with most.

It is a fascinating movie, although a draining one. Jared's performance is spectacular, just like everyone elses... and Darren Aronofsky is going to be a GREAT director...

Synthetic
Tino

yes

Post by Synthetic » Oct 2nd 2002, 1:42 am

I absolutly love that movie..altho I find it quite funny now for the simple fact that me and my friends have mocked Sarahs accent and recited all the lines to it about 93859 times..and the fact that I've met Jared a few times also with his new band 30 seconds to mars(http://30secondstomars.com)

ITS HARRY!
fa christ sakes lol, how many times is that said in the movie? :lol:

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Oct 3rd 2002, 8:31 pm

Jareds best role . this movie is beautiful. Darren is going to be a legend someday, IMHO of course. i agree Connelys Oscar should have come from this movie.
checked out 30 secs to mars, and must say i didnt like it. too molded from the standered rock group idea. not trying to put it down or anything, good for him yaknow.
has anyone seen Panic Room? Fincher must have a liking for Jared now. havent got around to picking this flick up.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

hmmm

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Nov 22nd 2002, 1:47 am

I am always and i mean always hearing about this movie for some reason or another...always people have good things to say...im gonna have to rent it!!!

Post by Guest » May 20th 2003, 7:50 am

His performance is brilliant, but the poor guy is so skinny in that movie