30 Seconds to Mars (Jared Leto's band)

Discuss former or new projects of Jared Leto ("Jordan Catalano") in this forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 29th 2004, 7:52 pm

They have toured with Puddle of Mudd, Trust Company, The Exies, Incubus, Edgefest, MTV Campus Invasion, and Lollapolooza. They have appeared on late night shows such as Jay Leno and Carson Daly. They are almost finished with their second album. Their single Capricorn was getting airplay on KROQ and the video was on rotation on MTV's rock (non-pop) video block.

You will be able to find a lot more information about the band at their website: http://www.thirtysecondstomars.com

FYI -there are other threads about the band and their appearances:

http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1687
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2031
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2076
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3118
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2045
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2190
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

raineedazed
Nicky Driscoll

Post by raineedazed » Aug 29th 2004, 8:12 pm

Angela_Catalano wrote:Oh, I really wish they would come on tour around here! do you like there music? Ill have to check out the website! do you know the site's name?
to put it mildly, their cd has been my air supply this summer. I'm not even joking. But if you go on the boards there, dont mention anything about mscl or being a fan of jareds work as an actor. I got verbally jumped for mentioning it, and the thread got deleted in about 2 minutes. if you wanna talk about jared, then try http://www.jaredleto.com.
"I don't like to leave the house, unless I have to. I would prefer living in a cave, with a door. Maybe a giant hobbit cave, with furry rugs. Something really cozy, with a fireplace--something you could stay in for six to 15 months at a time."
~Jared Leto

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 29th 2004, 11:30 pm

Thanks Guys, Im gonna check out some of the topics. I wish I would have seen them when they toured with some of those groups. Im gonna go check out the forum for 30 seconds to mars. Ill try not to say anything about being a Jared fan..lol

I gotta get the Cd. I cant wait to hear the music.

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Aug 29th 2004, 11:31 pm

Ohhh and Im so mad that I missed them on all the talk shows!! I even watch Jay Leno alot. I probably just wasnt interested when I heard the name before. And didnt realize it was Jared's band!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 30th 2004, 12:23 am

Earlier this year they were scheduled to do Love Line, but cancelled the day of the show, saying that Jared was concerned that the callers would all want to focus on his break-up with Cameron (at least according to my boyfriends Drew and Adam). I totally respect and empathize with Jared's right to privacy and the emphasis he places on the band's fans liking them for the music and not for his looks or acting career, but all these things he does, like not posting his name, posting false pictures of the band (the old men :lol:), canceling appointments, etc... all seems a little vain and self-involved to me.

Anyway, with a new album coming out, I'm sure they'll be touring again in the somewhat near future.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

minara
Tino

30 Seconds to Mars

Post by minara » Nov 29th 2004, 9:32 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this board but I thought it was fitting to have a thread devoted to 30STM, since Jared is the frontman and they totally rock!

Does anyone else like 30STM and wanna chat about them?

Minara

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 29th 2004, 10:35 am

Hi - there's quite a bit of discussion on the 'afterlife' forum... check out this thread

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

minara
Tino

Post by minara » Nov 29th 2004, 11:57 pm

oh hey guys, I am new to this board and I accidentally started a new thread about 30STM. =P I love the band and I was really happy to have found them. Didn't happen until this summer, but better late than never, right?

I can honestly say I didn't know that Jared was the singer/frontman until I did some research AFTER I had heard the entire album and knew all the songs, but you know what, I think it's cool that he's branching out and exploring all of his creative avenues. All of the guys are super talented and I wish them nothing but the absolute best.

Oh and as you can tell by my sigs, I adore Jared and always have (10 years and counting; it's like I'm 15 again!) I think he's absolutely brilliant and gorgeous and not at all superficial, which is great in this day and age of plastic women and uberbuff men. At least he's thoughtful and thought-provoking in his lyrics when we are bombarded with sugar-coated pop anthems about normalcy.

But I don't want anyone to confuse my admiration for Jared's apparent attractiveness as being the sole reason I like 30STM. It's just a fringe benefit!

I think all of the guys are wonderful and I can't wait to see them live when they tour next spring!

Cheers,
Min

EchelonFan
Tino

Post by EchelonFan » Dec 22nd 2004, 3:48 pm

wats up minara? how long have u likes 30stm?
You are a speck, in this vast universe, you are a dot and nobody loves you.
-30 Seconds to Mars

The Mars Amry is coming... Earth will have no chance.

[california divsion- ECHELON]

crimson-glow
Jody Barsh

Post by crimson-glow » Apr 3rd 2005, 2:55 am

I'm a fan! I love their work. Jared also adds to it of course ;)
- " It just seems like, you agree to have a certain personality or something. For no reason. Just to make things easier for everyone. But when you think about it, I mean, how do you know it's even you?" - Angela Chase

CanyonCrow
Tino

Post by CanyonCrow » Jul 1st 2005, 3:13 pm

30 Seconds To Mars
A Beautiful Lie
August 16, 2005

Join the Mars Army

BTW, a little heads-up. At a recent concert, two asshats kept shouting "My So-Called Life" and "Fight Club!" and Jared was really pissed off about it. After they got done with the set he went into the crowd and put them in their place. Heh heh, that'll teach the fanboys and girls. :D

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 10th 2005, 8:34 am

An interview with Jared Leto:

30 Seconds to Fort Wayne

By Steve Penhollow

The Journal Gazette

30 Seconds to Mars is third on a bill of three bands scheduled to play Piere’s on Thursday.

Not exactly an auspicious positioning.

But even if you don’t know the band, you know the lead singer, and it is a fair bet that any number of people (translation: young women) who aren’t so familiar with the music will be drawn to the show by the man.

The frontman of 30 Seconds to Mars is actor Jared Leto, who most recently could be seen as Colin Farrell’s special friend Hephaistion in “Alexander.”

Millions of youngish and not-so-youngish women cherish their memories of Leto as the bad boy that Claire Danes was in love with in the short-lived but long-loved TV series “My So-Called Life.”

Leto is, of course, a ridiculously good-looking young man, but he has not coasted on his comeliness. His acting choices have been bold (“Requiem For a Dream,” “American Psycho,” “The Thin Red Line”) and his band is getting unusually good notices for an actor-fronted project.

The sound of 30 Seconds to Mars is progressive rock with an occasional Korn-esque muscularity.

As a reviewer at Amazon.com put it, “After years of study, scientists were astonished to discover a new breed of entertainer: the actor turned musician that doesn’t stink to high heaven.”

In a phone interview, Leto said he sympathizes with anyone who may be tempted to take his musical aspirations with a grain of salt.

“I think people have every right to be skeptical. I am skeptical if I hear that someone else is dipping into these waters. The precedent isn’t good,” he says.

Leto bristles, though, when people suggest the band is some sort of vanity project.

“I think in a lot of ways 30 Seconds to Mars cleaned up the mess left (by other actors turned musicians) before us. We’re legitimate. We have a legitimate record deal. This isn’t a vanity project. I don’t have that sort of money even if I wanted to play that sort of game.

“If people like it, great. If they don’t, (expletive) them. I’m not running for president. I’m not trying to win over the (expletive) world.”

Leto said there may have been a time years ago when people came to shows because they were fans of his acting work, but he doesn’t think that’s true anymore.

“The only people who are obsessed with that are journalists,” he said. “My acting career is a footnote to the people who come to these shows. There are three other talented people in this band and we all have an equal hand in the music. This isn’t overproduced music written by someone else. This is entirely ourselves.”

The other members of the band are Leto’s brother Shannon on drums, Matt Wachter on bass and Tomo Milicevic on guitar.

So seriously does Leto take the band that he turned down an offer of work in Clint Eastwood’s new Iwo Jima film “Flags of our Fathers” so he could go on tour.

“It was not an easy decision to make. I have worked very hard in both worlds. To say no to him was tough. But it’s a testament to how much I believe in what we’re doing here that I would turn down Clint Eastwood for a chance to make $20 a night.”

When you are a preternaturally handsome Hollywood actor, you can follow one of two paths: the Freddie Prinze Jr. route (ultrasafe romantic comedies and thrillers) or the Johnny Depp route (movies chosen for their acting challenges rather than commercial prospects).

Leto seems to be pursuing the latter course, and he explains it this way: “I think that it’s really simple for me. I need to be proud of what I do. I need to make the people in my life proud as well. I need to get some kind of artistic reward for what I do.”

His high expectations of himself extend to his music.

“If I wasn’t so driven to make music, I wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t be on the phone with you right now. My life would be much simpler. I’m just a very driven, passionate person. It borders on obsessive-compulsive territory. It borders on out-of-my-(expletive)-mind territory.”
If you go

What: Chevelle, Taproot and 30 Seconds to Mars

Where: Piere’s Entertainment Center, 5675 St. Joe Road

When: 8:30 p.m. Thursday

Admission: Tickets, at $19.50, are available at all Ticketmaster outlets and charge-by-phone, 424-1811
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgaz ... 100178.htm

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2005, 9:23 pm

Update! The new 30STM album, A Beautiful Lie, is being released on August 30. You can read a brief review of the new album at Transform Online.

Video Premiere Monday On Fuse!

Make sure you have the video recorder set for the LIVE performance on FUSE's Daily Download. Tune and watch Aug 29, 6:00pm EDT. Not only will the 30STM be performing, but they will be presenting the WORLD PREMIERE of the video for "Attack." Don't miss this one!

And also don't miss:

* NYC: In store appearance at the Virgin Megastore Union Square Location Aug. 30th, 5:30pm EDT -- Giving Away Two Tickets to the Hammerstein Ballroom show in NYC on the 31st
* NYC: Live show at The Hammerstein Ballroom with The Used, Aug 30th, 8:00pm EDT
* Appearance on Late Night with Conan O'Brien airing Sept 6 at 12:30 EDT/PDT

Other upcoming appearances:

08/30/2005 New York City, NY Hammerstein Ballroom w/ The Used
08/31/2005 New York City, NY Hammerstein Ballroom w/ The Used
09/01/2005 Poughkeepsie, NY Mid Hudson Civic Center w/ The Used
09/03/2005 Atlantic City, NJ House of Blues w/ The Used
09/04/2005 Wilmington, DE Kahuna Summerstage w/ The Used
09/05/2005 Hartford, CT Webster Theatre w/ The Used
09/07/2005 Syracuse, NY Tundra
09/08/2005 Rochester, NY Water Street Music Hall WZNE Radio
09/09/2005 Pittsburgh, PA Post-Gazette Pavilion at Star Lake WXDX Radio Show
09/10/2005 Richmond, VA Alley Katz
09/11/2005 Charlotte, NC TBA-Charlotte WEND Radio Show
09/13/2005 Daytona Beach, FL Fuel Nightclub WJRR Radio Show
09/15/2005 Knoxville, TN Blue Cat's
09/16/2005 Cleveland, OH Scene Pavillion WXTM Radio Show
09/17/2005 Toledo, OH Headliners
09/18/2005 Dayton, OH Montgomery County Fairgrounds WXEG Radio Show
09/19/2005 St. Louis, MO Pop's KPNT Show
09/22/2005 Boulder, CO Fox Theatre
09/23/2005 Denver, CO Bluebird Theatre
09/24/2005 Salt Lake City, UT Utah State Fairgrounds X96 Radio Show
10/27/2005 Montgomery, AL Off The Wagon

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 31st 2005, 12:51 pm

From their newsletter:
We have just confirmed that 30 Seconds To Mars will be appearing on The Late Show With David Letterman TONIGHT! The show starts at 11:30pm ET/PT. Be sure to check your local listings for the exact time.
(August 31 2005)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 7th 2005, 7:59 pm

Starting on September 25, 30 Seconds To Mars will be on tour with Audioslave!

09/07/2005 Washington, DC Patriot Center w/ Audioslave
09/25/2005 San Francisco, CA Bill Grahm Civic Center w/ Audioslave
09/27/2005 Portland, OR Theatre of the Clouds W/ Audioslave
09/28/2005 Seattle, WA Everett Center w/ Audioslave
09/29/2005 Vancouver, BC GM Place w/ Audioslave
10/01/2005 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place W/ Audioslave
10/01/2005 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place W/ Audioslave
10/02/2005 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome w/ Audioslave
10/04/2005 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre w/ Audioslave
10/12/2005 Columbus, OH Veterans Memorial Auditorium w/ Audioslave
10/14/2005 , Shinerbock Festival w/ Audioslave
10/14/2005 Oklahoma City, OK Cox Arena w/ Audioslave
10/18/2005 Miami, FL Convocation Center w/ Audioslave
10/19/2005 Orlando, FL Hard Rock Live w/ Audioslave
10/22/2005 Houston, TX Minute Maid Park w/ Audioslave
10/23/2005 Dallas, TX Smirnoff Center w/ Audioslave
10/25/2005 Atlanta, GA Gwinnett Arena w/ Audioslave
10/27/2005 Montgomery, AL Off The Wagon

There will also be dates with Seether announced later this week.