Jared Leto in "Mr. Nobody"

Discuss former or new projects of Jared Leto ("Jordan Catalano") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Jared Leto in "Mr. Nobody"

Post by Sascha » Jul 17th 2007, 5:33 am

Jared Leto will star opposite Sarah Polley in the new romantic scifi-drama "Mr. Nobody" from writer-director Jaco Van Dormael.
"Nobody" is described as a multilayered love story inspired by the "butterfly effect," the chaos-theory notion that the beat of a butterfly's wings can cause a storm thousands of miles away. Set in the not-so-distant future, the story follows Nemo Nobody (Leto) who, at 120 years old, is the last mortal, surrounded by happy immortals as he relives his real and imaginary years of marriage.
More here: http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews ... 6020070717

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jul 17th 2007, 2:57 pm

That sounds interesting, but the story could go either way. I absolutely love Sarah Polley though and look forward to seeing her with Jared. :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Jared Leto in "Mr. Nobody"

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2007, 7:01 am

Pictures of Jared Leto from the set of Mr. Nobody are here!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

dudn3000
Tino

Post by dudn3000 » Sep 30th 2007, 3:27 am

I'm totally looking forward to this movie!!! Jared is such a great actor and I'm sure he'll do a great job (just as usual!). But I'm sure here in Austria fans will have to wait ages until it comes in our cinemas!!!! Is there already a release date or are they still filming???

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 2nd 2007, 3:07 am

According to IMDB, the movie is scheduled to film through October. The pictures in the previous post were just from last month. So far, the release date is only listed as 2008.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

dudn3000
Tino

Post by dudn3000 » Oct 4th 2007, 1:06 am

Okay, then here in Austria we'll have to WAIT and WAIT again because we didn't even see "Chapter 27" here! :?

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Oct 23rd 2010, 4:18 am

So I actually just saw this movie. It made my brain hurt. But it also left me with this very strange taste of something that I don't quite understand but that I am deeply fascinated with, in a rather inexplicable way. It also made me cry at times, which is always a good sign ;)

If anyone else has seen it, let's discuss it :)
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Nov 20th 2010, 10:06 pm

Here is a great summary of the love story aspect of Mr. Nobody (starring Jared Leto and Diane Kruger), which aspect is quite awesome. (Clearly, I want to make you guys see it cause it's great :))

You could say there are spoilers, but the whole movie is so confusing and what "happens" branches so much (in a sense that "A" and "not A" both happen), that spoilers aren't really spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW5cgFA_DuY

P.S. My boyfriend says that Jared's clothing here kind of reminds him of his MSCL style.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 24th 2011, 3:25 am

No word that he'll be there, but Jared's film Mr. Nobody is screening Saturday night (7/25/11) at the Disney Concert Hall as part of the 2011 LA Film Festival, under the category of "Overlooked Films".

I'll be working a different venue that night and won't be able to make it, but maybe this is the extra push I need to bump it from #300and something to #1 on my Netflix list.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 26th 2011, 7:07 pm

So, I spoke to someday today who attended the screening last night, she said director Jaco Van Dormael was there, he did a Q&A for the film etc. She said he expressed his gratitude for the audience and was really happy to be screening the film in America (this was probably it's only US public screening), and he thanked the internet for keeping his film alive. The woman I was speaking with said she loved the movie -- she said she was glad it was shown at the end of the festival because had she seen it earlier she would not have been able to enjoy all the other films as none of them compared (pretty excellent praise). Then she said it made her see Jared "Leeto" in a new light and that had she known ahead of time that he was in it she might have thought twice about attending. That's when I had to come to his defense and bring up Requiem, which she admitted she had never seen. (Then someone else said that was what gave him his big break -- I guess the legendary Jordan Catalano isn't "like, so known" in the circles of the Angelino film elite. Their loss :mrgreen: )

Anyway, now I see that Mr. Nobody is on the "unknown" waiting list on Netfiix. Was I dreaming, was it ever actually available? It wouldn't be the first time that I've waited too long to watch something and Netflix has since stopped carrying the DVD (S.E. Hinton films for example), but was it never there to begin with? Anyone know how to see the film now??? I'd be super bummed to have missed my only chance to have seen it if it's as good as everyone says, but honestly, getting to talk with Jason Schwartzman(!!!) last night more than eases that pain. Still want to see it though if I can; Bacchante, how did you manage it?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jun 30th 2011, 12:08 pm

Jody Barsch*: Actually the first time I watched it, I watched it on YouTube. This is not what I watched, but it should work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYlFfEO_qh0 (this is just part 1 but the other parts are related links).

I wish I could have gone to that screening! It's a rather awesome movie and I would have liked to talk to the director :)

Enjoy! I hope the link works. I look forward to hearing what you thought of the movie :) Currently it's competing for #3 on my list of top movies-- the clear #1 and #2 being The Fountain (another Darren Aronofsky movie) and Gegen die Wand (German movie by Fatih Akin).

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 2:36 am

I just watched it (although it might have lost some of its momentum as I had to split it between this morning and tonight). Thanks for the link Bacchante, it worked great!

Spoiler? While I don’t think anything I’ve written below would give any of the story away – it just won’t make a lot of sense, if you haven’t seen the film, you might not want to continue reading this post.

What did I think…? I think I’m still deciding. I’d definitely like to hear the director’s thoughts on his use of music (and I want that ‘flowers’ / ‘hours’ song). I know I’m going to have Buddy Holly in my head for days.

I liked it… A story of alternative realities is not new (as every Bedford Falls production reminds us; my current favorite being the party scene in 500 Days of Summer (though that’s altogether different as it has nothing to do with the results of choices)). I do like what the film did with the subject matter, and appreciated its focus on choice. At times I felt like I was watching Eternal Sunshine or The Never Ending Story.

I did not buy Jared Leto as Elise’s (Sarah Polley’s) husband. He did not seem at all like a dad to those kids, and I found his hair really distracting for that storyline – it did not seem to fit with the character at all. The girl playing the oldest of the three Elise children, while only on screen for a fraction of the film, did a great job and out acted Jared in a big way. (If I was that woman I mentioned above, coming in to the film disliking Jared Leto, I don’t know that I would have been so won over as she was.) I found myself much more drawn to performance and storylines of the adolescent Nemo than to any of the adult Nemos. (I was definitely rooting for teen Nemo and Anna.)

The butterfly effect sequences reminded me a bit of the prologue and epilogue to Magnolia. The film was shot really great, and was visually interesting. The shot of unwalking on the sand and the ocean being dropped into place was really cool. I LOVE the vertical shot of the body carried in the woods. I also LOVED how when Nemo was typing and going from one line to the next as he thought, the scene in the barbershop pauses until he catches up with it! I can’t think of ever seeing that in a film before, but when I saw it it was like, “duh, of course that should be a part of a character-narrated sequence” – so clever and natural. Still feeling like I didn’t quite get the argyle scenes…

Questions I’ve got right now: I can’t remember now the circumstances that lead to the car in the water. Did I miss something, do we know why one of the adolescent Nemo’s is in the hospital? Was the scientist/theorist/TV personality Nemo Jean’s husband, or just a thing unto himself?

Bacchante, I haven’t seen your other two contenders. I’m going to have to think some more before Mr. Nobody does or does not make it onto my list. Thanks again for the link!

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jul 19th 2011, 4:05 pm

I'm glad you liked it :) (But how can you dislike Jared? Just kidding :P)

There's lots to be said about this movie, including what it actually means, but I'll have to delay this discussion for now. But here are some answers to your questions. I'm assuming these are just questions about the plot-- sorry if I'm saying what you already know/remember.

A bird hit Nemo's car and he turned the wheel and ended up in the river. Younger Nemo had an accident with his motorcycle and that's how he ended up in the hospital. And the scientist was Elise's husband, but I'm not completely sure.

Also, I agree about the similarity to Magnolia :)

Okay, more from me later.