Jared Leto in GQ

Discuss former or new projects of Jared Leto ("Jordan Catalano") in this forum.
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 12th 2004, 7:18 am

You know, I've often wondered about the severity of "bugger". Technically it means the same as "tap" or "f***", right? But it seems to be more of a "PG-13" profanity for general use, unless I'm mistaken. Did Spike ever use it on BtVS?
Last edited by Nostradamus on Oct 12th 2004, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 12th 2004, 8:55 am

'bugger' undoubtedly had sexual connotations... you're right (although it refers exclusively to anal sex - sorry kids!). But the fact is that in modern parlance it isn't used to mean that at all. saying 'oh, bugger' is actually a really mild way of saying 'oh, s**t'. It's definitely not considered as offensive as s**t or f**k in that sense. Likewise, 'bugger off' is probably slightly less offensive than 'piss off'... it's morphed from something has its origins in something quite offensive, to something that's pretty much accepted as being very mild. possibly this parallels our acceptance of homosexual relationships...but that's pure conjecture on my part.

I'd definitely say it would be PG-13. I wouldn't want to have to explain its origins to my kids particularly, and I wouldn't expect it to pop up in a disney film. but in the adult world it's ultimately very mild.

Now I have totally hijacked this thread. sorry![/i]

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 12th 2004, 11:10 am

When I use the expression, "I'd tap that", I am meaning it in the sense it was originally intended, not a subdued version. But I don't believe that most teenagers are, they may say they are because they want to give that impression to their friends but when it comes down to it very few are sexually mature enough to be able handle the full inplications of the situation. What it really reminds me of is when I was in about 6th grade, the term "that sucks" became popular. My mother found this very inappropriate at first. Now we use it without thinking, but it has the same vulgar beginnings if you take by it's orginally meaning.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 12th 2004, 3:01 pm

One of my least favorite slang words is "hella" - I hated it from the first time I heard it and hoped it was a regional/trendy thing that would die out quickly but here we are over a decade later. Even funnier is its corresponding adolescent mutation "hecka" which is now bandied about by middle school students left and right because their parents won't let them say a word with "hell" in it.

:lol:

Eric Cartman said it best, "I'm hella cool and you're just hella jealous."

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

cworky
Nicky Driscoll

Post by cworky » Oct 12th 2004, 3:09 pm

ummm...i would tap that...and by tap i do mean the sexual meaning...umm yeah...
You're an angel from God up above, and I'm thankful for you understanding love.

cworky
Nicky Driscoll

Post by cworky » Oct 12th 2004, 3:19 pm

Nostradamus wrote:You, I've often wondered about the severity of "bugger". Technically it means the same as "tap" or "f***", right? But it seems to be more of a "PG-13" profanity for general use, unless I'm mistaken. Did Spike ever use it on BtVS?
bugger can also mean, gay sex...its a slang term for that,

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 12th 2004, 4:08 pm

Side note on the heck/hell. The college hockey team I coach is named the Hellcats. When we travel to BYU in Provo, Utah we are announced as the Heckcats on the PA before the game. Makes us laugh everytime.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

cworky
Nicky Driscoll

Post by cworky » Oct 12th 2004, 5:12 pm

ok thats halarious!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 12th 2004, 5:14 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Did Spike ever use it on BtVS?
How did I miss this reference to myboyfriendSpike earlier?

:wink:

Yes, he does say bugger, as do some of the other British characters on the show (Giles, Gwendolyn Post, Ethan Rayne). Several times on BtVS/AtS, the characters refer to annoying creatures as buggers too.

Interestingly, I remember when the first Austin Powers movie was released and some British people were upset by the use of the word "shag" because it's the equivalent of the F word in America. I remember seeing letters complaining that they didn't want to see a foul word like "shag" splashed on the covers of magazines.
Nothingman wrote:Side note on the heck/hell. The college hockey team I coach is named the Hellcats. When we travel to BYU in Provo, Utah we are announced as the Heckcats on the PA before the game. Makes us laugh everytime.
Give 'em heck! Goooooo Heckcats!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

cworky
Nicky Driscoll

Post by cworky » Oct 12th 2004, 5:29 pm

Yes, he does say bugger, as do some of the other British characters on the show (Giles, Gwendolyn Post, Ethan Rayne). Several times on BtVS/AtS, the characters refer to annoying creatures as buggers too.
wat is this BtVS/AtS you guys speak of...

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 12th 2004, 5:59 pm

cworky wrote:
wat is this BtVS/AtS you guys speak of...
Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. I think the second one is Angel, but I am positive that the first is Buffy.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

cworky
Nicky Driscoll

Post by cworky » Oct 12th 2004, 6:54 pm

thank ya!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 12th 2004, 9:27 pm

starbug wrote:Now I have totally hijacked this thread. sorry!
But what a fascinating digression!

:lol:

Another development has been the use of "gay" as a synonym for "lame" or "uncool". It has stirred some controversy due to its sexual alignment connotations, but I think most of the (young) people who use it in this sense don't have any hatred or bigotry in mind. Like "hella", it has seen a lot of use on South Park.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain