Claire Danes as Lois Lane?

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Claire Danes as Lois Lane?

Post by whitespy12 » Nov 29th 2004, 5:41 pm

The latest rumor on the upcoming Superman film (tentitively named "Superman Returns") is that Claire is in the running to play the role of Lois Lane. It's reported that former candiates, Natalie Portman, and Lost's Evangeline Lilly are out, and the ones to watch are Claire Danes, Kate Bosworth, and Elisha Cuthbert. There are various sources claiming this, although it is, of course, still a rumor at this point. An article on this can be found here:

http://filmforce.ign.com/superman/artic ... 079p1.html

Any thoughts? I think, out of that list, Claire is the best candiate. Lois Lane is a smart woman with a natural attractiveness to her, and I think Claire fits that description quite well. Kate Bosworth would probably make a pretty good Lois as well, but I feel she looks more like a "Supergirl" than a Lois Lane. As for Elisha Cuthbert, I personally think she is a terrible choice, but that could be just me.

Apparently, director Bryan Singer (who also directed X-Men and X2, which by the way is not only one of the best super hero movies of all time, but one of the best action movies period) is having a hard time finding an actress for the part because of a fear of typecasting, but I don't think Claire has this problem. Of course that could just be me, since I tend to remember actors/actresses from less mainstream roles. For instance, if I said Laurence Fishburne, most people whould think of Morpheus from the Matrix. I think of Max from A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. And on the topic of A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, Ken Sagoes, who played Kincaid in that film, also played the Paramedic in the MSCL episode "Other People's Mothers" (The one who says "Miss Valone? There's a policeman out there who needs to speak with you). The first time I saw that it blew my mind.. of course thats entirely off-topic rambling. So any thoughts on the Claire rumor?
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Nov 29th 2004, 7:15 pm

I don't like any of those choices as Lois Lane. I am not a fan of Claire, so I don't want her to be Lois. And why are they all blonde? Wasn't Lois a brunette? I don't know who I would like to see as Lois.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Nov 29th 2004, 7:19 pm

Thats the first thing that came to my mind too Megs - she was a brunette. After thinking about all those as a possibility, I have to say that I wouldn't want to see any of them play Lois Lane.... IMO

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 29th 2004, 7:54 pm

I understand how people are probably excited about the Superman movie, but I'm not really at all. I doubt I will see it. I guess I think the comic book superhero-to-movie thing is a little tired. Maybe it's better to just let things lie. I will always think of Christopher Reeve as superman anyway. Is the new superman a new story, or just a remake of the original superman movie starring Chris Reeve? And the new Batman movie. Why? Look at what happened to the Batman movies by the last two of them. I have heard that the new Batman movie is supposed to be dark and chilly like the first two original films, but again, maybe it's better to let things lie. Can't Hollywood come up with any new characters and/or stories? Are they seriously all out of original ideas? The only reason the Xmen movies worked for me is because there are no other Xmen movies from the past that are seared into our memories as classics, like the original Superman & Batman movies. I didn't like Spiderman so much either. It was impressive to be sure, but maybe I didn't like it because I don't like Toby Maguire so much. Rant over!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 1st 2004, 6:43 am

Well, I don't know much about Kate Bosworth, but how the hell did Elisha 'the Uberblonde' Cuthbert ever get mentioned in the same sentence as Claire Danes?! Yeah, Claire has had some lame spots in her career, but I mean come on!

:roll: :lol: :lol:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Dec 2nd 2004, 11:55 pm

Those are all terrible choices. They're far too young. Lois Lane was not a college student.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 3rd 2004, 12:02 am

I agree, dtheater. What about a woman in her 30s? Maybe Kristin Davis? I haven't really seen her in a role other than Charlotte in Sex and the City, so I don't know if she could pull off Lois Lane, but she certainly looks the part.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Dec 3rd 2004, 4:58 pm

Considering Superman/Clark Kent is being played by 25 year old newcomer Brandon Routh, I'm guessing they want someone around that same age to play Lois. Claire is also 25, whereas Kate Bosworth is 21 and Elisha Cuthbert is 22. I think, of those candidates, Claire is still the best choice for Lois.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Dec 3rd 2004, 8:21 pm

what about Jennifer Garner? she can definitely play a serious reporter who also happens to be hot. but I guess she would be too old if Superman is going to be 25. are they going the same way as Batman, making the story a prequel?

also, I guess if Claire had a makeover, I wouldn't mind her as Lois Lane. I believe she can definitely play the part, she just doesn't look the part, imho.

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Dec 3rd 2004, 11:59 pm

Yep, the next Batman film, "Batman Begins" will be a prequel... well, in a sense. I believe both the new Batman and Superman movies will be more like "new beginnings" than full-fledged prequels, which would thus allow them to take more creative liberties with the characters and stories, instead of having to work with them in the confines of the existing storyline.

It may sound like I think Claire is perfect for the role from what I've previously said, but actually, I agree with emmie. Claire doesn't quite look like the Lois Lane i've known for all these years, but I definitely think she's more than capible of playing the role. The only thing that worries me is that the film will have a 5 month shoot in Austrialia early next year, which could affect Claire's involvement in Terminator 4, which is supposed to start shooting next summer. It's not that I think it'll interfere with her schedule, it's just that I don't think she'd want to do 2 big budget action movies back-to-back. Of course, that's just what I think... I clearly have no idea what Claire really thinks...

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jan 1st 2005, 12:26 am

While nothing's officially been announced, several sources are claiming the Kate Bosworth has received the role. Oh well.

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Jan 1st 2005, 4:27 am

Actually, Superman is said to pick up where Superman II left off. This according to Brian Singer himself.
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 2nd 2005, 12:16 am

I don't claim to be an expert here, but...

then why if there is already a Superman III and Superman IV?

~~Kristin~~

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Jan 2nd 2005, 2:06 am

I'll admit, this is news to me. However, after some research, it seems to be true. Apparently, Singer is going about it as if III and IV never happened. Superman II may have argueably been the best of the series, but I think this idea is flawed. Maybe that's just because I'm not a big fan of completely altering a timeline I've known for years... then again, maybe I'm over-exagerrating. I mean, if the X-Men films are any indication, Singer is more than qualified to pull this thing off... though I still wish Claire got the part...

Whatever, I'll still see the film.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 2nd 2005, 2:53 pm

Kate Bosworth? I'm not liking that at all. she's way too all american california girl. not to dis anyone that fits that desccription, it's just not what Lois Lane is supposed to be.