MY SO-CALLED LIFE GOES ON questions

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
Hyde
Frozen Embryo

MY SO-CALLED LIFE GOES ON questions

Post by Hyde » Sep 10th 2005, 5:10 pm

I watch this show, and I always wonder what happens AFTER the show is over.
Does Angela go out with Jordan or Brian?
Does she finally sleep with Jordan, or does she wait?
Do Rayanne and Angela rekindle their friendship?

Now there are SEQUEL books written called: MY SO CALLED LIFE GOES ON....but I need to know how these fit with the SHOW!

I don't want to see the show weakened by the books, but I also need to know if the books are meant for just kids or if the writing is actually as interesting as the show.

The GOOD things about the show was that it was written for people of all ages, and while I am sure the books were more apt to be popular with young readers, I wondered if MSCLGO would be worth reading in my adult life.

I mean, there were some books written right when the show was popular, and I haven't even considered looking at those because they aren't continuations of the show...they are just stories about Angela and such. (and I think the reading level is like 12 years old)
I want something more in the vien of the show continuing...in the form of a book instead of a show.

What do you guys think?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 10th 2005, 8:55 pm

There are two MSCL books - one is a mish-mash novelization of the entire series, while My So-Called Life Goes On is a short novel about what supposedly happened the summer after the series ended.

There are existing discussions about the MSCL books (some of which include plot points) here, here, and here. I prefer reading the fan fiction, most of which seem much truer to the characters than the MSCL Goes On book.

I read this book years ago, so I don't remember much about the book except that I really disliked it. The only salient plot points I remember are [spoiler]Angela was working at Graham's restaurant and met a cute waiter, Brian was working at a drive-through photo hut, Sharon was still with Kyle, and Brian slept with Amber.[/spoiler]

If you are interested in discussing what other people think happened after the finale, there are several threads in the show forum (like this one).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?