Can anyone suggest some good young adult books for me?

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Can anyone suggest some good young adult books for me?

Post by Amika » Oct 21st 2004, 12:16 pm

I just read Speak...amazing.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Oct 23rd 2004, 9:32 am

Heh, years ago I wrote a few reports for the Teenage Advisory Book Board. I don't know of many books specifically tailored to young adults though. The only one that comes to mind is Ironclaw by Sherman Baldwin. It's an autobiographical account of the author's experience as a greenhorn carrier pilot in Gulf War 1. Pretty good stuff, if you're into that genre.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 10th 2004, 3:10 am

Hey Amika, I thought of another one! Stargirl. It's not as good as Speak, in my opinion, but it's really cute. In addition to Catalyst and Tribes of PV, which I already mentioned, a lot of the girls seem to like Cut. I haven't read this one, but it's pretty clear what the content matter, and most likely the tone, is. Have you thought about going old school with some Judy Blume? Something like Forever might be fun. Another great young adult book (although nothing like Speak), is the magical realism book Holes (much much better than the movie!). What's the objective here? Easy reads, short reads, teen content, adolescent girls, etc? That might help. Post if you find any books you like.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 10th 2004, 9:30 am

How young? I love the lemony snicket books "the series of unfortunate events" It's really excellent, and written to interest all age group.What gendre do you like best..horror thriller romance comedy.
let me think a bit and I'll come back with some more. :D

doh read the profile :?

anyway I enjoyed the lemony snikket books, so have many of my over 40 friends..they are really languaged based
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Nov 11th 2004, 3:13 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Post if you find any books you like
It probably won't be for a while becuase I am swamped with work at school, but I defnintely will!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 11th 2004, 4:16 pm

I do remember a cute book about two Australian kids growing up while corresponding through a pen-pal program. It was a long distance take on the old "country mouse and the city mouse" story; one of the pair lived in the urban east coast, the other on a farm in the outback. At the outset the city kid sends some tree seeds to the country kid, who plants them; the trees function as a metaphor of their relationship.

Now I can't remember the title or the author! Anyone know?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Amika
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Amika » Nov 12th 2004, 11:55 pm

I just thought of one! The Sisterhood of the travelling Pants . Nostradamus you made me think of it when you described the book about two kid penpals. Anyway, it's about these 4 girls who share a pair of pants during the summer they believe to be magical. They write to each other because it's their first summer away from each other. Good book!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 13th 2004, 2:18 pm

Yeah, I own that one. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about it from some girls.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Teacher's Lunch
Tino

my recommendations

Post by Teacher's Lunch » Jan 7th 2005, 2:13 pm

Bridge to Teribithia, Patterson

Momo, by Ende German author of "The Neverending Story" this is the only other book of his that was translated into English, and it is excellent for readers of all ages.

Series of unfortunate events, i'm on book 8, reading them to my 8 year old son (and my 5 year old usually sits in), and I'm liking them too!

Harry Potter series

My son really likes the "Michigan Chillers" series, kinda like "Goosebumps" but more regionally flavored, obviously. He reads these on his own, so probably good for 4-6th grade age group.

Eyes of the Dragon, Stephen King (he wrote this book so his kids would finally have a book of his that they were allowed to read...heh)

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 10th 2005, 12:55 pm

The Little Prince by Antione de Saint-Exupery
I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormier
A Separate Peace by John Knowles
The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin, Jr.
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TooCool4Skool
Liberty High Student

Post by TooCool4Skool » Jan 10th 2005, 6:07 pm

An easy read that I still enjoy to this day is The Giver by Lois Lowry. It is so eye-opening and really intriguing-- A overall good book. It's about a boy named Jonas, who lives in this "perfect" world. All choices are made... [spoiler] In the so-called "perfect" world, there is no color, feelings, snow, music, etc. It is about a boy who is made to realize this by being chosen the role of "The Receiver" [/spoiler]

Awesome, awesome story.

Stuck in Neutral is also very good. It's about a boy who can't control his body movements, and everybody thinks that nothing is going on up there. But, when he was younger, his sister would play school with him, actually teaching him in the process. Basically the whole book is about his father wanting to "end his suffering", not knowing that he isn't suffering at all. Really good ending.

Another Lois Lowry book- Number the stars, or something. It takes place in the holocaust. I'm intrigued by that time so...

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 16th 2006, 12:43 am

I'm currently reading Fat Kid Rules the World, it's pretty good so far. I'm also listening to it on audio in one of my classes, and it's WAY entertaining, great production. I'll let you know if it changes, but right now, I totally recommend it.