Augusten Burroughs

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Augusten Burroughs

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 18th 2004, 1:35 am

I just finished reading his newest book, Magical Thinking, a collection of autobiographical short stories. There are some similarities between Burroughs and David Sedaris, but both are funny, insightful writers. I am waiting to receive Running with Scissors in a bookring, so hopefully I will get to read that soon. Has anyone else read this book or his other works (Sellevision, Dry, Running with Scissors)?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 22nd 2005, 4:40 am

I read Running with Scissors a few months ago, and in retrospect I should have read that BEFORE Magical Thinking as it would have made a lot more sense. RWS is a memoir, rather than a collection of short stories, so there was much more of a plot and timeline than Magical Thinking. Both are funny and disturbing. What made me remember RWS today is that I read there is a film version being planned starring Annette Bening, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Brian Cox. It will be interesting to see how much of the interesting details they can keep!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?