Philip K. Dick

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Philip K. Dick

Post by fnordboy » Jul 7th 2003, 2:34 am

So, anyone else on MSCL.com obsess...err...read the brilliant books and short stories of PKD? If you don't know who he is the writer of the stories that were turned into (fortunately or unfortunately) Blade Runner and Minority Report. Generally his books are of the Sci-fi genre, but they transcend it. The first book of his that I read was Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, and I have been hooked on him ever since. To date the best book of his that I have read was Valis, though that book may turn a new comer off. There are many other books of his that are great starting points.

Anyone else a PKD fan?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 7th 2003, 3:20 am

I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" for school. We were going to illustrate a cover for it, but the assignment changed...but I definitely didn't regret having to read it.

I've been interested in reading more of his, since they are sci-fi, without being obsessed with the trappings of sci-fi. Would you have any recommendations other than what you've noted? Does he have a good short story collection? (I know authors like him seem to...) I don't seem to have the attention span lately for a full novel. (which reminds me I have to finish that HP Lovecraft collection...)

Any good ones, or should I pick up a copy of Valis?
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jul 8th 2003, 1:19 pm

I've read a few of his short stories that were included in a copy of Minority Report I picked up after the DVD came out. I did enjoy them quite a bit. I've been meaning to read more but my reading plate is already rather full right now.

I had to laugh after reading Minority Report because the description of Anderton is nothing like Tom Cruise. More like John Madden or something.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

MadMichael
Overlooked Sibling

Post by MadMichael » Jul 9th 2003, 2:33 pm

I just finished re-reading The Man in the High Castle, and A Scanner Darkly is on my all-time best list.

http://www.philipkdick.com/
MadMichael -- '02 FXDXT
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."