Any Tom Robbins fans??

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Any Tom Robbins fans??

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 6th 2003, 11:34 pm

I love Tom Robbins, (not to be confused with the actor Tim Robbins, whom I also adore), but it seems that his writing is so quirky, that people either hate him or love him. My favorite book was Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (yea, the movie was terrible).
How about you? Do you love/like/hate his work?
What were some of your favorites? Which books did you dislike?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 7th 2003, 2:24 am

Yes, I too am a Tom Robbins fan. Someone told me about him about 7 or 8 years ago, I had a fascination with Pan and from that was told that I had to read Jitterbug Perfume. I did, and fell in love with it. I have probably only read it a handful of times since then but it is still high on my favorite list.

Off the top of my head I can not remember any of the other books I have read of his, I know there was atleast one or two more.

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Tom Robbins

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 7th 2003, 3:46 am

I loved Jitterbug Perfume! I'm a little obsessive, so I also read Skinny Legs and All, Another Roadside Attraction, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, and Still Life With Woodpecker. But my favorite is still Cowgirls, probably because it was the first one I read.

The only book that I couldn't finish reading was Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates. I got lost somewhere, and didn't find it too interesting. Must be my ADD.

I hear he has a new one out, but the name escapes me... Villa Incognito? Something like that...

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 19th 2003, 1:18 am

I love Still Life with Woodpecker! Robin's writing is incredible. A couple years ago some friends and I read an interview he gave -- very cool.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

muruch
Nicky Driscoll

Post by muruch » Apr 12th 2004, 12:19 pm

I love Tom Robbins. Especially Skinny Legs & All. I also highly recommend anything by Kurt Vonnegut for that quirky satire vibe.
Muruch 'thanks a lot, big brain' -kurt vonnegut