Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 26th 2004, 10:41 pm

FYI - amazon is now listing the hardcover version of this book for $12 if you order it online (it's still $27 in the stores). Crazy that it's only $2 more than the paperback version.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 10th 2004, 5:04 pm

okay, I just reread The Order of the Phoenix, and am rearing for a discussion!!

I have to say that I loved this book much better the second time around. the first time I read it, I was too focused on plot and then I was too depressed at the end to think about it. so here are some new thoughts about the characters:

I've heard rumors for years that Ron and Hermione were supposed to become an item in the later books. and that was sort of set up with their jealousies in Goblet of Fire. but upon rereading Phoenix, I have a different theory. first off, their bickering isn't really the kind that is flirting. not to mention, I don't think they are all that compatable. I am seriously hoping for Harry and Hermione to get together. they have great chemistry and I feel that they would simply fit better. and if you notice, in this book, they are thrown together quite often, with Ron left out or off playing Quidditch. I liked Cho the first time I read this book, but this time, she totally got on my nerves. she's way too sensitive and flies off the handle about the smallest things. however, if my theory about Harry and Hermione doesn't pan out, I could see him getting with Cho, if she would get over her jealousy. okay, enough gossip.

does anyone have any ideas on what will happen next with Voldemort? I'm hoping there will be more action where he is concerned since he's been outed. and I'm sure that the Death Eaters will soon escape from Azkaban. maybe he will be more aggressive about seeking out Harry. so far, all he's done is make his followers do his dirty work. for such a powerful wizard, he seems to be kind of a coward hiding all the time. I know he hasn't had his new body long, but still.

careers for the kids. I think that this book has set up that Ron might become a professional Quidditch player. he doesn't seem to have strengths in any of the subjects at school. I would love to see Harry as an auror. or perhaps even as the new, permanent, defense against the dark arts professor. either way, he's totally going to piss off Snape. I personally think that Hermione would also make a great auror. she is really clever and is extremely talented. she seems to do well in every class she has, so she could basically become anything she wanted. and I'm really interested to see what track Malfoy takes.

and to the British posters: I also noticed quite a few british words I wasn't sure about. and most of them seemed to be articles of clothing. like, what is a jumper? we have jumpers here in the U.S., but I don't think it's the same thing.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 11th 2004, 6:18 pm

emmie wrote:and to the British posters: I also noticed quite a few british words I wasn't sure about. and most of them seemed to be articles of clothing. like, what is a jumper? we have jumpers here in the U.S., but I don't think it's the same thing.
"Jumper" is a British term for sweater. This is a good resource for translating English to English.

:wink:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 13th 2004, 5:26 am

candygirl wrote:
emmie wrote:and to the British posters: I also noticed quite a few british words I wasn't sure about. and most of them seemed to be articles of clothing. like, what is a jumper? we have jumpers here in the U.S., but I don't think it's the same thing.
"Jumper" is a British term for sweater. This is a good resource for translating English to English.

:wink:
Heh :D that's too funny. And the horny = randy one always makes me laugh - that there are people in the world called 'Randy'. Juvenile, I know.

Anyway, if you've got other questions that aren't in that website, fire away.

My cousin read harry potter and was all disturbed because it mentioned 'taking the mickey'. the only thing she could think that was, was smoking some of the big weed, which in the context of the book didn't really make sense. I had to tell her it meant the same as 'mocking someone' mostly in a joking sense, or occasionally, taking advantage of a person/situation, which was the best I could come up with but it still doesn't seem to do the term justice.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Sep 13th 2004, 5:44 am

Randy Giles!? Why not just call me Horny Giles or Desparate-for-a-shag Giles!?
:lol:

Comedy gold!

Australian actress Portia de Rossi once said she had trouble asking for a cigarette in America, "Can I bum a fag?'

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 13th 2004, 2:31 pm

so randy=horny? really? ha ha. I didn't know that. that's a pretty common name in the states.

I had a professor from New Zealand and when she moved to the U.S., she brought her cat with her. but she had a lot of trouble getting it at the airport because she kept asking people where her pu*** was. can you imagine someone asking you that? :lol:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 13th 2004, 3:04 pm

Another one of my non-Buffy watching boyfriend's lines.

No matter how many times I see that episode, that still cracks me up.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 13th 2004, 3:27 pm

candygirl wrote:
Another one of my non-Buffy watching boyfriend's lines.

No matter how many times I see that episode, that still cracks me up.
which ep is that from? I can't place it.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 13th 2004, 5:01 pm

Tabula Rasa - with Joan and Umad.

:mrgreen:

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 16th 2004, 10:50 pm

candygirl wrote:Tabula Rasa - with Joan and Umad.

:mrgreen:
so I watched that eppy the other night and it was so much funnier with my new knowledge!

I started classes today, and we go around saying our names and what we are interested in. there was a guy from Taiwan in there with this really complicated name. when he was called, he said he goes by RANDY! I literally had to suppress a laugh!! :lol: it feels good to be juvenile every once in a while!