What's on your bookshelf?

Discuss your favorite books, stories and other literary matters here. Recommend reading material to other forum users. What's on your bookshelf?
KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » May 13th 2003, 2:30 am

My bookshelf looks like this:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (wanna read before the film)
The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding
Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde
J.R.R. Tolkien - A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter
Just For Fun by Linus Torvalds
Shakespeare's Sonnets by William Shakespeare
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank (Yes, Angela made me read it)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brónte
The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
and Anne of Ingleside.
Dave Pelzer's first two books.
Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox
The Catcher of the Ray by J.D. Salinger
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings
I love you, you idiot by Cathy East Dubowski (from the tv-series Gilmore irls)

I read The Bell Jar but I haven't bought it (yet).
----------------
Make it count.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 13th 2003, 2:54 am

One of my favorite contemporary writers is Nick Hornby, who wrote High Fidelity. I just bought his latest Songbook, which is a collection of essays about music. I haven't read it yet though, because I have a stack of library books that I have to finish reading first :D

I wanted to see the movie About a Boy when it was released because it is another Hornby book, but my boyfriend was adament about not seeing it. Why? The commercial proclaimed, "From the people who brought you Bridget Jones' Diary and Four Weddings and a Funeral." That and Hugh Grant's presence were enough to convince him that this must be a Total Chick Movie.

I put it on our Netflix list and told him that it was by Nick Hornby (my boyfriend enjoyed High Fidelity and Fever Pitch), so he acquiesced. And...he liked the movie - hee!

I also like some of the chick books that have come out in the past decade or so (Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing, Good in Bed, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Liars Club, Nanny Diaries, Going Down) but as much as I want to applaud the increase in female authors, I find that there is a lot of crap being released as well. These days it's common to find a "chick books" or "beach reading" section at bookstores, but there are a lot of meh writers in the mix.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

books

Post by lance » May 14th 2003, 9:12 am

KroKos,

Nice book shelf. I am currently doing light summer reading. Currently reading David Weber's Honor Harrington series. Also as I file paperwork for work, I have been listening to Lawrence Block's the Burlgar Who mysteries and Lindsey Davis Didus Falco series.

Great stuff, Lawrence Block uses very witty dialogue and Davis really brings ancient Rome to life.

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 14th 2003, 9:29 am

KrokRos wrote:I love you, you idiot by Cathy East Dubowski (from the tv-series Gilmore irls)
Tell me about this book. Was it mentioned in Gilmore Girls?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 15th 2003, 5:34 am

Hey everyone - just wondering something.

A couple of days ago my mum sent me a chain letter. Usually I throw these things in the bin but this was a chain for getting paperback books. It works like a normal chain letter, so you get the letter and there are 2 names on the bottom of it. Send a used paperback to the person number 1 on the list. Then take person number 1 off the list, bump person 2 up to person 1, add your name and address as person number 2.
Send the letter to 6 people.

The theory is that you'll get 36 books that you never would have bought or otherwise read, and within them there will be some gems. All about widening your horizons...

I've asked my friends whether they want to do this (I'd quite like to do it as a sort of experiment) but they all have differing reasons for not wanting to (mostly because they move house lots and by the time the books arrived they'd be at another address, also because they know they'd never get round to sending the book themselves).

Has anyone heard of/done this chain? Has it worked?

So my question is would anyone like me to send them this letter? I'd send it overseas too - we could broaden the whole thing out maybe...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

Post by pistolpeg » May 29th 2003, 3:24 pm

I just read "The Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club" by Laurie Notaro. This book is absolutely hilarious. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire book. I borrowed it from a friend and just ordered my own copy. I can definately see myself picking it up when I'm down and out and cranky. It is a very quick read. I highly recommend it.
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

books

Post by lance » Jun 19th 2003, 5:48 pm

Hey all,

I am currently reading the Passing of the Techno-Mages by Jeanne Cavelos. This is a Babylon 5 novel. Great stuff so far.

Best,

Lance Man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 19th 2003, 9:28 pm

I'm out of new books, so I'm rereading a few. My memory is so poor, these books are practically new to me anyway. I reread The Rainmaker, which is pretty close to Claire's movie. Now, I'm rereading The Runaway Jury. A little Grisham never hurt anyone.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 20th 2003, 12:24 am

Having discovered Pratchett in the mid 90's with Soul Music, I'm still playing catch-up, and he's still spitting out new books; I'm working on Reaper Man now.

Also on the top shelf is Jim Marrs' Alien Agenda. It's informative, but not as eye-opening for me as Rule By Secrecy, probably because my prior knowledge of ufology is much greater than my historical conspiricy ken.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 20th 2003, 9:18 am

I read Small Gods by Pratchett a while ago, it was hilarious!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 15th 2003, 11:39 pm

I have finally read The Sun Also Rises all of the way through. Hemingway isn't difficult to read, but I started and stopped reading the novel many times over the years. The intense way he describes the bull fights in Spain makes me want to see them. The bull fights are going on now in Pamplona. An American was killed during one run of the bulls. I don't think I want to be out there running from the bulls, but the spectacle of the bull fights would be something to see. I like the novel, but I feel for the characters. They are lonely. Nothing gets resolved. Maybe I'll make it to Spain one day.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 16th 2003, 12:40 am

I read The Sun Also Rises when I was in college and loved it (interesting because I didn't like A Farewell to Arms in high school). I still have my highlighted copy :D I remember when we discuused Jake and compared him to the steer. I'm such a sucker for unrequited love!

Megs - the book KrokRos mentioned is a novelization of Gilmore Girls told from Rory's point of view. The author has written similar books for several other movies/tv shows (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, the Wild Thornberrys, Rugrats in Paris Josie and the Pussycats, Never Been Kissed, Speed 2, Willow, An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Babar the Movie, Might Morphin Power Rangers, So Weird, Mulan, Full House, and Seventh Heaven, etc.).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 16th 2003, 10:39 am

I just finished two books from opposite sides of the spectrum. The Beach House by James Patterson and The Hours by Michael Cunnigham.

JP is a very easy read. HIs books are meant to be enjoyed on the beach. The book was nothing to write home about, but entertained me for two days.

I liked The Hours, once I got past the author's writing style. It was depressing, but at the same time uplifiting. I am curious to see how they handeled this book in the movie version.

I guess East of Eden is up next. I know, I know, it's Oprah's book club pick, but I bought it last year and never got around to reading it. Since I read The Hours, I would like to read Virginia Wolf's Mrs. Dalloway. Maybe I will read that next.

Thanks for the tip on the Gilmore Girls book, candygirl. :D
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 16th 2003, 11:01 am

Mrs. Dalloway is pretty good, in a sort of low-key way. I read it after I'd seen the film The Hours, and so I suppose that enhanced my enjoyment of it a bit. I like the sort of 'snap-shot' approach of the book, and the fact that it had some love involved, in a really understanding, subtle way.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 28th 2004, 2:09 am

After years of nagging I finally borrowed my friend's copy of The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. It was good, but not so addictive that I couldn't put it down.

New on my shelves:
  • Moving Pictues by Terry Pratchett; I'm still nowhere near catching up!

The Manchurian Candidate -- Richard Condon; in preparation for the movie.

Outrageous Fortune -- Armin Shimerman with Chelsea Quinn Yarbro; I haven't yet got around to this, the 2nd volume of The Merchant Prince.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain