Protests at soliders funerals

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Protests at soliders funerals

Post by lance » Aug 31st 2005, 10:44 pm

:shock:

Did you guys see this:

http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13928166

"Members of a church say God is punishing American soldiers for defending a country that harbours gays, and they brought their anti-gay message to the funerals Saturday of two Tennessee soldiers killed in Iraq."

:evil:

Ack! This is so wrong on so many levels. Also please note that these aren't lefties, Democrats, Liberals or peace activists doing this.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 1st 2005, 10:43 am

This just makes me sick! I'm SO NOT surprised that Fred Phelps is behind this. I live in Kansas City, which is only about an hour's drive from Topeka, KS - where Phelps lives. When I was a freshman in college here, a friend of mine invited me and a few other friends to come to his parents' house in Topeka one weekend. We went, and one of the things he showed us in his hometown was Fred Phelps' house. It had the "[spoiler]God Hates Fags[/spoiler]" sign - HUGE - like a billboard on top of his roof. Just horrible.

Another thing is that when Michael Moore spoke here in Kansas City during the election period (at the Uptown Theatre and also on my UMKC campus), Phelps' family came to protest. They are such jerks! Who is their god? Same god as GWB, perhaps? Can't be the same god as all the good people in the world. (notice I did not start the word "god" with a capital G)

:evil:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Re: Protests at soliders funerals

Post by stburr91 » Aug 20th 2006, 11:27 am

lance wrote:
Ack! This is so wrong on so many levels. Also please note that these aren't lefties, Democrats, Liberals or peace activists doing this.

-LanceMan
I've seen quite a few lefties protesting funerals on the news. I don't care what you are protesting, you shouldn't protest at a funeral. I blame the media, if they didn't show it on the news, the protesters wouldn't be there.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Protests at soliders funerals

Post by lance » Sep 13th 2006, 9:17 pm

stburr91 wrote:
lance wrote:

-LanceMan
I've seen quite a few lefties protesting funerals on the news. I don't care what you are protesting, you shouldn't protest at a funeral. I blame the media, if they didn't show it on the news, the protesters wouldn't be there.
These days I am often blaming the Media, from the left. In this case these guys are hard core and seem "hell bent" on being as obnoxious as they can. If the press wasn't there I think they still would be.

-LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 14th 2006, 4:42 pm

Same thing happened to the nephew of our Senator.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207119,00.html

(sorry, it's FOX news link, not my first choice for a source)

Protesting a funeral is simply repulsive. Yet another reason why fanatical religion is high on my list of things to avoid.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

jensonisaac
Frozen Embryo

Post by jensonisaac » May 14th 2007, 2:17 am

Also please note that these aren't lefties, Democrats, Liberals or peace activists doing this.
Actually, it is liberals who are doing this. Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church are Democrats who supported Al Gore in his 1998 Senate campaign.
Support for Al Gore

Phelps supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic Party primary election. In his 1984 Senate race, Gore opposed a "gay bill of rights" and stated that homosexuality was not something that "society should affirm". Phelps has stated that he supported Gore because of these earlier comments. According to Phelps, members of the Westboro Baptist Church helped run Gore's 1988 campaign in Kansas. Phelps' son, Fred Phelps Jr., hosted a Gore fundraiser, which Al and Tipper Gore attended, at his home in Topeka. Fred Phelps, Jr. served as a Gore delegate to the 1988 Democratic National Convention. Gore spokesman Dag Vega declined to comment; "We are not dignifying those stories with a response."

Wikipedia

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 16th 2007, 12:56 pm

jensonisaac wrote:
Also please note that these aren't lefties, Democrats, Liberals or peace activists doing this.
Actually, it is liberals who are doing this. Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church are Democrats who supported Al Gore in his 1998 Senate campaign.
That doesn't make them liberals. They supported his anti-gay stance (from 1984). And it was 1988 not '98 as your quote shows.

jensonisaac
Frozen Embryo

Post by jensonisaac » May 18th 2007, 2:22 pm

That doesn't make them liberals.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure lots of right-wing conservatives have campaigned for Democrats, held fund-raisers (in their homes, no less) for Democrats, and served as delegates to the Democratic National Convention.

In fact, I've heard that many conservatives run for political office as -- get this -- Democrats!
Democratic Party

Phelps has run in various Kansas Democratic Party primaries five times, but has never won. These included races for governor in 1990, 1994, and 1998, receiving about 15% of the vote in 1998.

Wikipedia

In 1992, he [Phelps] ran for the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senate, getting nearly 31 percent of the primary vote. He also ran for mayor of Topeka in 1997.

FrontPage Magazine
Thanks for the enlightenment, pal.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 18th 2007, 4:56 pm

No problem, sport. :roll: