Gas Prices

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 6th 2005, 5:19 pm

yeah, I was wondering how this was going to affect the rest of the world. I had no idea how many oil rigs were in the Gulf of Mexico. I wrongly thought that our oil came from Texas, Alaska and the Middle East. whoops.

I just drove from Savannah, GA to Birmingham, AL = 400miles. the gas prices were strangely exactly the same at every single station I stopped at. usually they range in difference of about 20 or 30 cents, just depending. but gas is 2.99 to 3.19, here in the southeast. it used to take $35 US dollars to fill my car up, now it's just over $50.

:evil:

I've very lucky that I don't usually drive much though.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 6th 2005, 6:21 pm

I filled my car with gas on August 31st - two days after hurricane katrina hit the gulf coast. It cost me $29.73 for 10.622 gallons of gasoline. That's $2.799 per gallon. Now, that was a week ago. I haven't really looked at the prices around here in Kansas City since, but I tell ya I am NOT looking forward to the next time I have to fill up. When I was a teenager driving my first car (late 1990s) it only cost me about $15-17 bucks to fill up. Now it is twice that.

I'm thinking that since my schedule is more open this semester, I might walk to school on the days I don't have classes (I still go over to the performing arts building to practice). The days I do have classes, I will probably drive in the morning, park, and not move it again until I am going home at night. I can't afford to be driving back and forth 3-5 times a day like I did last school year. The compromise there is then I have to BUY lunch instead of driving home to make myself lunch between classes. Anyone else have a similar issue? But I really think that would make a big difference. I wish we had better mass transit here in the US also. KC really sucks in that regard, and we ARE a major metropolis! :(
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Sep 6th 2005, 7:01 pm

I filled my car on Mon 8/29. It was $2.43 a gallon and it cost me $30 to put in 12 and a half gallons. Yesterday my tank got to the half mark so I decided I would fill up again. Gas was $2.85 and I put in 7 gallons. It cost me $20! Its just crazy. I hope something can be done soon. I also remember when gas was under a dollar in the late 90's. It cost like $13 to fill my tank. I remember when it would go up to $1.05 and we were so mad!! Now I would be so gald to have it back down to around a dollar.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 6th 2005, 9:01 pm

Gas here on Sunday 8/28 was $2.67.

By Monday afternoon before any knowledge of the damage done to Gulf refineries it went up to $2.75. By Friday it was at $3.10 for regular and there was a fist fight at a gas station in San Jose. Many gas stations had sold out of regular by Saturday morning.

My roomate said he wants to remember last week as the last time we will see gas below $3.00 in our lifetime.

Gak.

(Must find some good news, must find some good news...)

-LanceMan

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 7th 2005, 4:23 am

$6.80 for a US Gallon currently here in Germany (European Super95, which is something like 89 octane in the US).

I just bought a new (used) car, previously I used the cheaper diesel, now I have to pay for the more expensive Super95. At the current rates, I pay around $87 to fill up my car which lasts for 550 km.

At least now I have a very nice car -- it's a blue Peugeot 206 CC with 133 hp, it looks exactly like the one in this picture. Driving is now a lot of fun -- this makes up quite a bit for the high gas prices :-)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 7th 2005, 5:53 am

Sascha (sab) wrote:$6.80 for a US Gallon currently here in Germany.
Wow.
Sacha (sab) wrote:At least now I have a very nice car
Yes, you do! That's a fabulous looking vehicle. :D
Kristin wrote:The compromise there is then I have to BUY lunch instead of driving home to make myself lunch between classes. Anyone else have a similar issue? But I really think that would make a big difference.
I'm sorry, I spluttered when I read this... which makes me think I must be missing something. You DRIVE home between classes to make yourself lunch? To a Brit, that sounds incredibly extravagant. I make my lunch every morning and take it with me when I go to work. The simplest thing I can see would be to make your lunch in the morning, carry it with you while you walk to college, eat it at college, and then walk home. Money saved all round! If you're worried about it going off during the day, I'm pretty sure you can buy an insulated lunch-bag and an ice-pack to stop that happening. You'd be saving yourself a small fortune. Sorry if there's some factor that I don't know about which prevents you doing this; it just all seems way too easy for me.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 7th 2005, 9:11 am

starbug, you are right, it IS extravagent. I just don't really have anywhere to put the lunch - I don't have a backpack or locker or anything. Plus I used to have 2-3 hours for lunch, which allows plenty of time to get home (I'm only a 5 min drive from campus, 30 min walk) and get some homework done while I'm at it. This year I found that I don't have nearly the amount of homework. Well, I'll probably end up buying lunch. Or mooching off my boyfriend (he lives on campus).

My brother predicted that the US will become like Europe - walking/biking everywhere instead of driving. That sounds incredibly nice, but I doubt that will happen. Maybe in Madison, WI (where my family lives) it is not out of the question, but for a lot of places - like Kansas City - people are way too lazy and attached to their vehicles to do that. For example: when I was a sophomore I lived in the on-campus univ. apartments. One day, I was leaving one of the music buildings and a friend of mine (lived in the same building as me) asked if I wanted a ride:

Him: Are you going to the apartments?
Me: Yes.
Him: Need a ride?
Me: No thanks, it's just a block.

People around here are so lazy that they drive across campus to their next class. Our campus is only a 10 min walk from one end to the other - about two regular-sized city blocks. SUPER LAZY.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 7th 2005, 12:38 pm

well, it's not always lazy, just not possible in some cases. downtown Birmingham is in a valley surrounded by hills and mountains. not many people actually live there because there are so many businesses, hospitals, and the university. not to mention that the surrounding cities are so spread out. people in suits are certainly not going to walk hours to work, especially in the south where the summer is still full blown. you'd have thousands of people passed out from the heat along the roads.

a metro was actually proposed in our city, but we simply could not afford it. the only mass transit we have is the bus system. and it's pretty crappy. and yes, Americans are attached to their cars and the freedom that comes with it. why waste 2 hours in the morning on a bus when you can spend only 30 min driving yourself? I'm sure things will change and people will be more thrifty with their driving, even carpooling. I honestly don't know how things could be resolved as far as mass transit goes. we're just too spread out!! sucks, but true.

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Re: Gas Prices

Post by RCBS » Jul 13th 2011, 9:58 pm

Pudding.