FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26 2004 IS BUY NOTHING DAY

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 24th 2004, 5:05 pm

perhaps idealistic more than naive.

anyway The whole point is NOT that it's going to change the whole system , but that it MIGHT get people thinking.
But Adbusters has a history of railing against the corporate grafitti and logos and slogans that are everywhere now.
fighting fire with fire perhaps, beating them at their own game? Not really such a bad idea, again the idea being it might get some people THINKING about how they are "branded".

Personally for me it's all about shaking up the way people think.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 28th 2004, 4:52 pm

wicked wrote:perhaps idealistic more than naive.

anyway The whole point is NOT that it's going to change the whole system , but that it MIGHT get people thinking.
But Adbusters has a history of railing against the corporate grafitti and logos and slogans that are everywhere now.
fighting fire with fire perhaps, beating them at their own game? Not really such a bad idea, again the idea being it might get some people THINKING about how they are "branded".

Personally for me it's all about shaking up the way people think.
Idealism is what gets me up in the morning, certainly isn't reality.

-LanceMan

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 28th 2004, 7:38 pm

I don't know, I'm of the mind frame that every little bit helps. instead of contributing to the pollution or corporate growth, why not take a step back? no, they probably won't notice and wave their arms in the air shouting, "those damn Buy Nothing Day people!" but it's enough for me to know that I didn't add my $300 or however much. I think it's the same sort of principle as voting or not using gas as much. I think you can be optimistic but not naive at the same time.