Our Grand Protectors

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Our Grand Protectors

Post by andrewgd » Dec 3rd 2003, 5:42 pm

This struck me as a little wrong:

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/120303/ ... ters.shtml
I am a United States sailor. I have chosen to defend my country and the freedom some take for granted.

I love my country, my family, my freedom. Only by the blood which was shed by the service members before me did we receive this freedom.

There are some, though, who do not appreciate this freedom. I call these people traitors; they call themselves protesters. They are nothing more than an infectious disease that infests the minds and hearts of the Americans we are defending. It consumes the honor and courage within its host until it kills the very patriotism that made this country.

There is no cure for this disease. Never will everyone be satisfied. But let it be known what this guardian of America's freedom thinks of these protesters: Traitors should be hanged. I hold our enemies in higher standing. At least they are willing to fight for their beliefs and the country they love.

Sonar Technician
Derik L.Jobe
U.S. Navy
Amarillo
I decided to write the paper quick, just to see what they'd have to see (didn't put too much thought into it):
Don't you think it is wrong to post death threats in your editorials? I do. Whats even more chilling is the fact that Mr. Jobe wants to kill the very citizens he is supposed to protect. Do we really want these types of people protecting us? Do you want to be responsible for spreading their hate?
The paper's response:
When we decided to go ahead and publish Jobe's letter, we did it in the spirit of allowing a diversity of opinion in our letters forum -- regardless of how vehemently we might disagree with an opinion. I don't see it as spreading hate but "outing" hate -- if there are people supposedly "protecting us" who hold such views, I'd rather be aware of it than in the dark. Besides, judging from some of the responses we've been getting, Mr. Jobe may not be protecting us for long.
Now, who knows what the real reasons were behind printing this letter, but their given reason for printing it makes me a little less bothered by the fact that they printed it.

Plus, everyone has a right to speak out. I just wonder how accepting people would be if it was a protestor who wrote to the paper saying the soldiers should be hung. Hmm.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Our Grand Protectors

Post by lance » Dec 4th 2003, 4:05 pm

andrewgd wrote:
Now, who knows what the real reasons were behind printing this letter, but their given reason for printing it makes me a little less bothered by the fact that they printed it.

Plus, everyone has a right to speak out. I just wonder how accepting people would be if it was a protestor who wrote to the paper saying the soldiers should be hung. Hmm.
You raise a good question, depends on the paper in question and what their audience is and what political bent they may have.

-LanceMan