168-4 (What are we going to do with these Republicans?)

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

168-4 (What are we going to do with these Republicans?)

Post by andrewgd » Nov 13th 2003, 1:56 am

So the Republicans are holding a 30 hour marathon, trying to bully the Democrats into letting them vote the 4 ultra conservative judges into the nations courts.

I think I heard they are doing it to make a point on how the democrats are using filibusters to block these nominations. Boo Hoo. I'm watching some of it on CSPAN now, and the Democrats are wiping the floor with them. Really showing how absolutely childish the R's are being. The Democrats have allowed votes on 168 other judges, but won't allow these 4. 98%. 98%. And its not enough for the R's. They're pitching a fit. And spending 30 hours (using our $$$) pitching this fit.

They forget they only hold 51% of the congress. They really really need to remember that those 49% have a voice too. And that voice is mopping the floor with them tonight. How childish of the R's. Shame on them.

Majority rule, Minority rights. The majority needs to remember the minority has rights. And the fact that they don't hold the majority by much, so they better f##kin act like it! :P
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 13th 2003, 10:43 am

LOL!

&

:cry:

Andrewgd,

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. The GOP already controls all three branches of government! What more do they want?

The GOP blocked 60, count them, sixty of Clinton nominees. So far as you point out the Dems have blocked 4 or 2% of the Bush's total nominees. The sheer hubris of the GOP right now is simply staggering. The role of the Senate is to advise and consent, not rubber stamp, otherwise why go through this process. Bush can declare himself dictator for life and just pack the courts with whoever he or Karl Rove wants.

:roll:

I have a very, very hard time feeling sorry for them at this moment in time. Bravo to the Senate Dems for sticking to their guns on this issue.

-LanceMan

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Nov 13th 2003, 11:09 am

Just a thought-

SOME Democrats can be childish too. If you don't know what I am talking about look up what happened this summer in Texas in the state legislatue. I think the Democrats were being just as childish, not mention how much of the taxpayers money they wasted.

Another thought-

I also think think SOME OF the republicans are being a little childish here not all.
democrats are using filibusters to block these nominations
Don't forget this is also a little childish.

I hope both groups of people quit there childish behavior and try to come to a decision.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Nov 13th 2003, 11:59 am

There's one thing that needs to be kept in mind. There has never before in history been a case when the Senate Justice committee approves a judge/justice for a vote by the entire Senate and that vote has been blocked. Throughout time, if the committee allows a full vote, the vote is done. In these cases, the committee has approved the judges. These judges can still be voted down by the Senate, but the Dems know that because the Reps have a majority, these judges will probably be approved.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Nov 13th 2003, 2:35 pm

Sammi wrote:
democrats are using filibusters to block these nominations
Don't forget this is also a little childish.
Actually its not. Its a very good tool that the minority uses to make sure the majority doesn't run rampaging across the agenda, basically throwing the minority out of congress. Minority right, majority rule. Thats how our government runs.

This even counts in the Texas thing. From what I understand the R's were trying to run away with the state, so the Dem's left so they couldn't.

I've watched a few hours of this on CSPAN. My only question now is how these nominations got out of committee. I'm assuming it is because the R's have a majority there as well. (But I don't know how the committee voting goes, so...)

My thoughts on what I've seen on CSPAN: Rick Santorum is a loon. He went through and said, "98%? What if we said we'd uphold the constitution 98% of the time? " And then got really furious and went through each part of the constitution, outlining what would happen. Talk about a horrible metaphor. Doesn't even come close to applying.

There were some reasonable R's speaking...I wish I could remember his name now, but I can't. He almost said that the Dem's have a right to do what they did, but not quite. He at least admitted they have a right to think what they want about the nominee's, which was a bold step.

But it seemed to all come down to this: During Clinton, he was only able to fill 75% of the judicial seats he wanted to because the republican held congress let so few out of committee. Now, 95% of the seats are filled. From what I saw, this is the highest its ever been! Whats wrong with that?

The dems are just using their power in congress to block them, instead of using their power in committee (which they either don't have, or don't use).
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."