2004 election

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 4th 2004, 10:02 pm

starbug wrote:Check out Michael Moore's website... it just has that picture of Bush made up of all the small photos of the dead soldiers. everything else on the site has been taken down. It's full of impact in a depressingly profound way.

I feel for Michael Moore, I really do. You can agree or disagree with what he says, whatever. But he put more energy into mobilising democracy in the USA than Bush (pah!) and Kerry put together.

Lance, you should take pride in what you've achieved. You helped so many people to exerciset their rights. That's no small thing. Not many people have your tenacity and commitment, that's for sure.
Thanks all for your words of support. At this time it really does mean a great deal to me. Thank you all very much.

The fact was that Democrats were more united and more motivated than ever before. In Nevada a record 830,000 people voted (11/4 KNPR). In Ohio Democrats, Move On.Org and America Coming Together rallied 18% higher turnout than in 2000.

Who knew that Republicans in Ohio would increase their turnout by 21% over 2000 (NPR- All Things Considered 11/4/04)? Aren't those in power supposed to grow complacent? Obviously this is a year when "conventional wisdom" has gone out the window.

I have been talking to my friends of late. All are stunned and shocked. Like crashing computers they are all struggling to reboot. My friends and mom in Ohio are now seriously comtemplating moving to blue states.

Now that I find myself in yet another red state I am seriously contemplating my options. Everything costs money, including getting a Canadian work permit as it turns out. So for the moment I will simply try and save as much as I can before moving to either a Blue state or another country.

On a lighter note, my mom sent me an e-mail advertising this site:
http://www.marryanamerican.ca/

-LanceMan

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Nov 5th 2004, 3:54 am

lance wrote:Thanks all for your words of support. At this time it really does mean a great deal to me. Thank you all very much.

-LanceMan
You are a remarkable man, Lance. Thank you for inspiring me, among other things. Wo de ke ai, wo de peng yo...

((((((Lance))))))

~K
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 5th 2004, 2:24 pm

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2004, 2:40 pm

Thanks for that website, Sascha. I've been to MM's site before, but I just forget to go there until someone reminds me. Very powerful stuff, especially the photo collage at the end. Thanks again.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Nov 5th 2004, 4:10 pm

I love MM.
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 5th 2004, 4:18 pm

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 5th 2004, 5:12 pm

I got an email with the "Jesusland" thing on it. Also on that email I got was a faux TIME magazine cover: completely black, a small banner reading "Black Tuesday", a centered picture of Bush making his "face" (lips pursed, furrowed brow, generally confused), and large white letters saying WE ARE F**KED surrounding the picture, like:

We are

(pic of Bush)

F**KED

I still have the email, if anyone wants me to send it to them let me know
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Nov 5th 2004, 5:16 pm

"Jesus died for you, will you vote for him." :scratchinghead:
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 6th 2004, 1:21 pm

LOL ... "Baja Canada" :-)

A few more links:

Politics and IQ: http://attenuation.net/files/iq.htm

And this is just too cute:

http://sorryeverybody.com/

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 6th 2004, 3:03 pm

This Stevie Wonder song really got to me on September 11, 2001. I'm not religious, but after the election it's hitting me again, especially one line:

Heaven Help Us All

Heaven help the child who never had a home
Heaven help the girl who walks the streets alone
Heaven help the roses if the bombs begin to fall
Heaven help us all

Heaven help the black man if he struggles one more day
Heaven help the white man if he turns his back away
Heaven help the man who kicks the man who has to crawl
Heaven help us all

Heaven help us all, heaven help us all, heaven help us all
Heaven help us, lord, hear our call when we call

Heaven help the boy who won't reach twenty-one
Heaven help the man who gave that boy a gun
Heaven help the people with their backs against the wall
Lord, heaven help us all

Heaven help us all, heaven help us all, heaven help us all
Heaven help us, lord hear our call when we call

Now I lay me down, before I go to sleep
In a troubled world I pray the lord to keep
Keep hatred from the mighty, and the mighty from the small
Heaven help us all.

~~Kristin~~

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Nov 6th 2004, 8:29 pm

I've been pretty down since the farce that was Tuesday last's alleged election, but, after talking with a friend last night, feel immeasurably better. I mean, it's not over yet. We need time to heal, regroup, and retaliate (sorry, the Amazon's would say that!). The latter for me is looking very much like citizen action groups and some blogging...though I'm not sure of it's potential as a tool for change. There is a lot of work ahead of us and we need to start somewhere. I've family here and can't really contemplate relocation to Canada or a blue state...that narrows things somewhat. This is where it starts. But, let us heal first. God know's, I need to. I've never felt this wounded, betrayed, or violated on a deeply spiritual level in my life. 2000 pales in comparison.
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 7th 2004, 11:00 pm

special_k wrote:I've been pretty down since the farce that was Tuesday last's alleged election, but, after talking with a friend last night, feel immeasurably better. I mean, it's not over yet. We need time to heal, regroup, and retaliate (sorry, the Amazon's would say that!). The latter for me is looking very much like citizen action groups and some blogging...though I'm not sure of it's potential as a tool for change. There is a lot of work ahead of us and we need to start somewhere. I've family here and can't really contemplate relocation to Canada or a blue state...that narrows things somewhat. This is where it starts. But, let us heal first. God know's, I need to. I've never felt this wounded, betrayed, or violated on a deeply spiritual level in my life. 2000 pales in comparison.
I think the key will be the 2006 elections. If the Dems gain gain some seats back, who knows?

Certainly the deficit and the war aren't going anywhere.

Fnordboy thanks for the maps, I had heard of them but not actually seen them.

-LanceMan