Men of Honor

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Men of Honor

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 23rd 2003, 2:02 am

The important business of state had to take a back seat the other day as members of the US Congress were too busy calling each other names and getting kicked out of the Capitol.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92667,00.html
The uproar has to do with the blowout on Friday in the House Ways and Means committee room. At issue were both the acerbic leadership style of Committee Chairman Bill Thomas (search) and inflammatory remarks made by California Democrat Pete Stark (search) to some of his Republican colleagues.

Democrats are fuming because Thomas ordered Capitol police to kick out Dems who had retired to a nearby library in protest of the bill approval proceedings. They were angry Thomas got verbal approval for a bill the Democrats said they hadn't even seen.

Republicans justified the police involvement by saying they felt physically threatened. And they remained furious over Stark's outburst in reaction to the meeting, during which he called Thomas a "****sucker" and Republican Scott McInnis (search) a "wimp" and a "fruitcake." Some characterized the slurs as "anti-gay," though McInnis is married and, by all accounts, not gay.
Personally, I am nostalgic for the days when open brawling was common on the floor of the Congress and duels were an acceptable method of dispute resolution. At least when politicians are fighting each other, it is harder for them to screw the taxpayers.

:roll:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Men of Honor

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2003, 2:22 am

Nostradamus wrote:Personally, I am nostalgic for the days when open brawling was common on the floor of the Congress and duels were an acceptable method of dispute resolution. At least when politicians are fighting each other, it is harder for them to screw the taxpayers.
Kinda makes you yearn for the fisticuffs in the Taiwanese and Korean government, eh?

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 23rd 2003, 2:28 am

Or the Paliamentary riots of India, yes. Nothing like a good riot to break up a boring filibuster.

:D
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 23rd 2003, 5:11 am

In the House of Commons (I'm sure you've seen this on TV) the two opposing sides sit in rows facing each other, with the cabinet on the front bench of each side.

There are two lines drawn on the floor, which the politicians are not meant to cross. The distance from one line to the other? The length of two swords... it was impossible for them to stab each other with their swords while arguing.

The tradition endures (not the swords, the rule that you don't cross the line towards the other side during a debate).

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 27th 2003, 6:09 am

Heh, I can totally see swordfighting in the Commons! I've often enjoyed the debates on BBC. British politics seem a bit more lively than most other nations.

...Meanwhile, the fun continues, this time in Japan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 097947.stm

The story has a really cool picture, which almost looks like a scene out of a Kung Fu action movie!

:shock:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Jul 28th 2003, 10:02 am

If you go visit Capitol Hill, there is actually a tile that has been preserved (I forget exactly where.) because someone was beaten with a cane. The blood is there and everything. The tour guides even move to let you take a good pic.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 28th 2003, 10:15 am

I remember seeing a fight in Japan where the guy takes off his shoe and hits another guy before an all out riot ensues. All I could think of when I watched it was the original Austin Powers.

"Ouch, that really hurt! Who throws a shoe? Honestly?"
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 29th 2003, 4:14 pm

ducksqueak wrote:If you go visit Capitol Hill, there is actually a tile that has been preserved (I forget exactly where.) because someone was beaten with a cane. The blood is there and everything. The tour guides even move to let you take a good pic.
That sounded familiar, so I did a quick search, and found two canings:

http://womhist.binghamton.edu/mcw/doc11.htm
In May 1856, Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts was severely beaten on the Senate floor with a cane by Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina, who had been offended by Sumner’s remarks during a debate on the Kansas-Nebraska Act.
http://www.swt.edu/cpm/hobbyscorner/sam_houston.html
The defendant was Sam Houston. The President was Andrew Jackson. The lawyer was Francis Scott Key.

The episode began on March 31, 1832, when Congressman William Stanbery of Ohio asked on the floor of the House "Was not the late Secretary of War removed because of his attempt fraudulently to give Governor Houston the contract for Indian rations?"

On the evening of April 13 Houston beat Stanbery with a hickory cane on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington. Stanbery drew his pistol and tried to shoot Houston. The pistol misfired. Had Stanbery known how to use a gun we might be living in northern Coahuila.
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain