Haliburton News

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

stuff

Post by lance » Jun 10th 2003, 3:28 pm

Thought some of you might want to see this.

The following is a link to an Associated Press article about Iraqi civilian casualties:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/s ... 19,00.html

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: stuff

Post by fnordboy » Jun 10th 2003, 3:33 pm

lance wrote:Thought some of you might want to see this.

The following is a link to an Associated Press article about Iraqi civilian casualties:

Believe me, I know that we killed a lot of civilians over there, but I have to question are these the numbers of real civilians or non-,ilitary fighters?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: stuff

Post by lance » Jun 11th 2003, 11:02 am

fnordboy wrote:
lance wrote:Thought some of you might want to see this.

Believe me, I know that we killed a lot of civilians over there, but I have to question are these the numbers of real civilians or non-,ilitary fighters?
Don't know, AP claimed they were civilian casuality figures.

Best,

Lance Man

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Aug 28th 2003, 12:40 pm

Update - AP reports today that the Haliburton Iraq contracts were worth far more than previously reported.

The Buch Cheney Cabal's corporate takeover of Iraq has paid off nicely.

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Aug 28th 2003, 1:13 pm

I have a feeling that some of the reasons why Haliburton is getting the money is because they may be the only company that can do some of the required tasks. But that doesn't explain all of it.
Halliburton, the company formerly headed by Vice President Cheney, has won contracts worth more than $1.7 billion under Operation Iraqi Freedom and stands to make hundreds of millions more dollars under a no-bid contract awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, according to newly available documents.

The size and scope of the government contracts awarded to Halliburton in connection with the war in Iraq are significantly greater than was previously disclosed and demonstrate the U.S. military's increasing reliance on for-profit corporations to run its logistical operations. Independent experts estimate that as much as one-third of the monthly $3.9 billion cost of keeping U.S. troops in Iraq is going to independent contractors.

Services performed by Halliburton, through its Brown and Root subsidiary, include building and managing military bases, logistical support for the 1,200 intelligence officers hunting Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, delivering mail and producing millions of hot meals. Often dressed in Army fatigues with civilian patches on their shoulders, Halliburton employees and contract personnel have become an integral part of Army life in Iraq.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Aug 28th 2003, 1:15 pm

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/bodycount.htm

There's the answers for the civilian casualties.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Sep 2nd 2003, 12:42 am

More $$$$$$$$$ for Bush buddies:
The Observer: An American law firm with ties to the Bush administration has been hired to help set up a legal system in Iraq.

The firm, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, has been drafted in by USAID to advise on privatising former government-held industries, structuring government economic and regulatory agencies, and developing a tax structure.

The legal deal is part of a larger package worth up to $79.6 million taken on by Bearingpoint, formerly called KPMG consultants, to advise on the restructuring of Iraq. The deal is expected to lead to several million dollars of work for Squire, Sanders, effectively as sub-contractor.

The number of contracts awarded to companies with close connections to the Bush administration is increased by the Squire, Sanders' deal. The firm donated $41,350 to George W Bush's election campaign in 2000, and earlier this year a Sanders partner, Ronald James, was made personnel chief of the new Department of Homeland Security.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 17th 2003, 1:30 pm

I still don't understand. Why is this a surprize to you? People in power have always and will always give preference to their friends. This isn't limited to Bush or the Republicans. Ask Tyson Foods. You would do it too if you were President. You don't get to those positions without owning people. Its the way the world works. I don't see how you or I can change that. But I'll be happy to discuss it, but pointing out a government contract being granted to a friend of a friend is like pointing out that cats chase mice.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 17th 2003, 4:17 pm

mglenn wrote:I still don't understand. Why is this a surprize to you? People in power have always and will always give preference to their friends. This isn't limited to Bush or the Republicans. Ask Tyson Foods. You would do it too if you were President. You don't get to those positions without owning people. Its the way the world works. I don't see how you or I can change that. But I'll be happy to discuss it, but pointing out a government contract being granted to a friend of a friend is like pointing out that cats chase mice.
Amen.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/