High School Memories.

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
elsie
Frozen Embryo

High School Memories.

Post by elsie » Aug 18th 2008, 2:43 am

Pretty much interested on the worst or best memories of other people.
I'm in Year Ten, otherwise known as grade 10.
Each year has had there ups and downs, pretty much just interested.

:)

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Re: High School Memories.

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 18th 2008, 5:41 am

Elsie,
I have many fond memories of High School. We don't call it that in the UK but I know what you mean. We leave school at 16 and I was in my final year when I first saw MSCL. It was so relevant as like Brian Krakow I was in love with somebody but I couldn't find the courage to tell them. That person ended up with someone else and well I was heart broken. Those days are the best days and I was always tell the children I work with (I Work with kids in school) to enjoy them because if you don't then you will regret it.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Aug 18th 2008, 9:30 pm

Ah its only been 3 years since I left high school but its already becoming fuzzy!
All I know is the funnest year was junior year because I had my first relationship, and while it went in the gutter after a little over a year, the first few months were so exciting, especially because I didn't have to hide with him in the boiler room (not that my school had one--I live in California)...but then senior year sucked because we had to do all this crazy college application stuff and keep our grades up when we were restless to be out of there. I think i felt and looked best physically in Freshman Year (9th grade), and Sophomore year was a blast because I had a free period right after lunch and a cool group of friend that I would talk with, go out to lunch with, and play cards with etc. Thats when I met my true love--my unrequitted love, we were good friends but never got to be anything more...I'd say he was my Jordan (but I wasn't like scared to talk to him or ask him anything because we were friends too)....I wish I could go back to high school. It was the best time of my life. Haha, maybe i should wait till I'm older than 20 to say that??

Monny, really you are done with school at 16?
How do they teach you anything over there?? :P
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 19th 2008, 5:56 am

Cami,
We do finish at 16. The kids here sit something called GCSE exams at 16. When you reach 16 you can leave school. Many kids go on to college and do something called A'levels and they sit the exams for that at 18. So most kids stay on until 18 but some do choose to go in to work and do training and more vocational qualifications. If you go to university after your A' levels then most finish at 21.When do you finish in the USA?

Your time at school sounds really cool. Is it like them other teenage shows we get here from the US? Shows like O.C.? Or is it more down to earth than that. One of the reasons I loved MSCL because it was more true to life with believeable characters and not filled with people who had just come off the set of Baywatch.

My time at College was fun because we met lots of new people and people I still know now. There was lots of learning but also lots of fun including many long nights out. I remember at one night club they had a student night on a Thursday and although we were underage we would still get in (Unlike Angela, Rayanne and Ricky in 'The Pilot').
It was so much fun and I used to get in at 3am and had to be at college for 9am. Those who used to go used to look like zombies in the morning.lol!

I wonder what it would have been like had we seen Rayanne, Ricky and Angela in Let's Bolt because Angela still looked really young. It would have been good to see some of the other characters including Brian, lol! I would pay to see that. I think maybe in later episodes if the show had carried on we would have seen it. I think Raynanne and Ricky would have been crazy on the dancefloor, especially with Ricky's dancing skills. I suppose we do get little tasters at parties and 'World Happiness Dances' a long the way.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Aug 19th 2008, 4:16 pm

In the US we finish at age 17 or 18, depending on what time of year you were born. But basically it's from Kindergarten to 12th grade (senior year) so 13 years of school total. And I live in Northern Cali, so no my high school was most definitely NOT like the O.C. or any other high school on TV, much more like MSCL, I have a feeling even schools in Orange County and LA are not like on TV. The largest ethnic groups were White, Asian, and Mexican so it was very diverse--both racially and economically. Some kids drove sports cars, but some got govt subsidized lunch and bus passes lol.

I've never been to a college party. I'm still underage. Besides, I enjoy partying with close friends and people I know much better. Sounds like fun though!

I don't think they would've liked Let's Bolt. They were still kids. That's too grown up an environment. Although I did know people who were drinking and druggin' and clubbing at age 15-16. I just don't think Rickie, Angela, or Brian would really enjoy the club.

stburr91
Liberty High Student

Post by stburr91 » Aug 19th 2008, 9:26 pm

My fondest memory of high school was the day I finished my last final exam, I walked out the door skipping my last class. I walk out of the school, and in the parking lot, I turned back and looked at the school. That moment, the moment I looked back, was my favorite moment of high school. The school looked different. Ok, it didn't... I just saw it differently. Knowing I would never have to go back, changed how I saw that school.

High school kinda sucked for me, but it wasn't all bad. I meet some really cool people, people that are still my friends today.

High school is full of firsts, and last times you do things, some good, some bad. As the years pass, and the memories fade, (it's been many years for me since high school) you mostly remember the good times.
What's amazing is when you can feel your life going somewhere. Like your life just figured out how to get good. Like, that second."

ikilledkennyandjr
Three Rivers Resident

Post by ikilledkennyandjr » Aug 20th 2008, 12:16 am

I never really was in high school, due to some personal problems, and watching MSCL makes me ache for it. Swimming in the sea that is a hallway between periods, bonding and applying make-up in the girls' bathroom, exploring the unknown but exciting realm of the boiler room... I know it was painful, but even the angst of the show is something I'm sad I partly missed out on.
"You know, the karma in this house is like ridiculous. It's really low... or dark... whatever it is that happens to karma."

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Aug 21st 2008, 9:41 am

I agree with you Kenny. I really miss school days. Everything was less complicated and we had no cares in the world. I think that is why MSCL is so good because it could be any high school anywhere. We had a boiler room but it wasn't used for extra-curricular activities,lol! I think our school was so big that there were lots of places you could go.

One part of our school was very old and there were rumours it was haunted. When the halloween episode came on it reminded me of my own school. The good old days I really miss them.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Aug 21st 2008, 8:52 pm

Yeah. High school days were the best. No responsibilities except for well, showing up, basically. And while we didn't have a boiler room (in Cali the classrooms are all outdoors and you walk outside back and forth across the campus to get from class to class) there were plenty of deserted hallways in the back of the school near the sports fields where I used to go to make out with my boyfriend. LOL

One time the principal caught us and said to us--"Cool it! This is school!"--I guess we were going at it pretty hard (but hey it was the first week or two we were together so kissing was new ;) )

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 3rd 2008, 12:39 pm

I remember my last year in high school being the best. Changes in my physical appearance -- I put on a little weight so that I wasn't such a stick figure; I changed my hair style a little from the boy-standard haircut I had sported for around 10 years; I got a little more in-style glasses; my face finally stopped breaking out with pimples so much -- made big differences in how I felt and how others approached me. People like to say that it doesn't matter too much how you look, but how you look matters a lot in high school. Girls finally started to notice me. Don't get me wrong. I was still painfully shy and ended up not going to the Senior prom due to an inability to find enough courage to ask someone other than a close friend to go with me. But, I did develop a swagger. My last day of classes was pretty good. We had Senior Skip Week. I had enough days left so that I could cut classes. Of course, the administration admonished us that there no such thing as Senior Skip Week as a matter of course, but they also gave us our attendance cards telling us how many allowed absences we could have and still graduate. Kids being kids, Senior Skip Week began the Friday before. All of us went to school on that last day and each one of us left during one period or another. I think by fourth period, I was the only one who showed up to class. My teacher asked me why I was there. I left. My high school time was up.

The graduation ceremony was pretty good. A drama chick whom I was into but couldn't approach talked to me. I got her phone number. We called and wrote each other a few times. I went to college in another state. Then, we lost touch. I haven't seen her since.

The worst memories of high school include failing a class for the first time and hiding from an upper-classmen who liked to bully me. Looking back, I should have taken a swing at him. But, who knows what would have happened if I did?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 5th 2008, 3:59 am

For me, high school was like any other period in my life: good times mixed with bad (although of course everything seemed SO much more dramatic at the time). I liked high school, but I definitely don't look back on it and think it was the best time of my life and wish I could go back. College was lots of fun and where I made some lifelong friends, but I'm also happy with my life now.

I don't idealize any particular part of my life and think it was the be-all, end-all but I do have fond memories of high school. I thought middle school was a bit more tumultuous than high school. High school had its fair share of dramatics, but there were so many more options available for me in high school than in middle school: more activities, more people (the middle school was medium sized but my high school was pretty big so it was entirely possible to go from one group of friends to another without missing a beat), and people with cars (meaning I wasn't 100% dependent on my parents to get places).

I liked high school because I liked my friends and I found stuff to do that I liked. In middle school, the extracurricular activities were mostly sports (which I suck at) and student government (which I had no interest in). In high school, there was a club for just about everything as well as school sponsored groups. I joined the dance team (and quit going to studio dance classes) - interestingly there was no dance option when I was in middle school, but thanks to the success of the dance program at our high school, all the middle schools in our district now have dance programs which I think is a great opportunity, especially for people who can't afford to take a lot of dance classes at studios. Because I joined several activities, I had a bunch of different groups of friends with almost no overlap between them so I didn't feel as hemmed in as I did in middle school where I was mostly friends with whoever was in my classes or on my bus.

High school brought my first serious relationship as well as my Jordan Catalano, so I definitely had some emotional highs and lows but it was good for me to learn a lot of that stuff when I was young.

I don't know that there was one specific day that I would say was my best day in high school. I know some people say graduation, but by that point I was so ready to move on that actually going to graduation was just kind of an obligation so that I could fulfill the rite of passage, have my family see me in my cap and gown, and then start the next part of my life. It's weird that I remember it that way because the video footage of me at Grad Nite shows me happy and having a good time, not scratching at the walls trying to get away.

:mrgreen:

I think that might be why I enjoyed high school, college, and my adult life - whether it's an hour, a day, or a year, I always figure if I'm here (wherever here may be), I might as well have fun, so let's find something interesting to do!

The weird thing is that because my high school was so big, there were lots of people who I never met. My entire senior year, most of my classes were full of people I didn't know. Aside from dance and choir (where people tended to stay once they got in), my academic classes usually had one person who I already knew beforehand. I think in my physics class, there were all of three people I knew before the class. Previous to that, I usually had a handful of friends in each class. Some people I actually met AT graduation because we were seated in alphabetical order. When I was in college, I came back for the holidays and was surprised when I ran into some classmates at the mall. When I say classmates, I mean that we graduated the same year but had never been friends or even spoken five words to each other. I was shocked that they even knew my name. Some of them I ended up being friends with briefly and then drifted out of touch after a few years, but it was so surreal to me to think that after four years of attending the same school, we didn't have a conversation or call each other on the phone until AFTER graduation.

Some of my favorite memories revolve around the shows we did for choir, dance, and drama. As much work as rehearsals could be (and they were a lot of work - rehearsals started months ahead of time and steadily increased in length and frequency until just before the shows so that the week before, we were usually practicing every day after school until late into the night), it was fun to see a group come together with a common purpose and create something together. As with any group of people, there were squabbles, drama, people who didn't get along, etc. but when it was showtime, everyone had the same goal: put on a good show and have fun doing it. We all wanted to make our friends, families, and each other proud of what we had done so all that petty crap got put aside for a few hours.

Aside from that, my favorite high school memories were all hanging out with my friends doing stupid stuff like ditching school to go to Denny's or the beach or making up silly lyrics while we were driving around. Even though my boyfriends were important in the grand scheme of Life Lessons, most of my best memories were with my friends just goofing off.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?