Summer Travel

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Summer Travel

Post by emmie » Jul 29th 2010, 7:00 pm

I just realized today that it's been months and months since I've visited the site :( this post piqued my interest because it brings back memories of travelling. plus, ever since the Ken Burns documentary on the national parks, I've been dying to go visit one of them on the west coast. I don't really know much about them, but any suggestions on where to go? Yosemite? Yellow Stone? my boyfriend and I are trying to plan something for next year.

Jody, Australia sounds awesome! can't wait to see some pics!!

PS, I missed you guys!!! how is everyone doing?!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2010, 9:16 am

emmie, it's so good to see you here again! I haven't seen the Ken Burns documentary on national parks, but I've been watching the one on baseball!

How far are you willing to travel to hit these parks? Yosemite and Yellowstone are always the two big ones. I have a weird bias both for and against Denali (in Alaska). I had to show 40 minutes of a documentary on Denali as part of my job, so I saw the same thing approximately 43892074239078 times. When my sister told me that she and her husband were going to visit Denali while they were in Alaska, I started remembering all the things I had learned from repeated viewings of that documentary and sure enough, they saw the sled dogs and everything.

I went to Hong Kong in April and North Carolina last month. Both trips were really fun. I had been to Hong Kong once when I was about two years old, so I have exactly two memories of the entire trip. This time around, it was much more memorable!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 14th 2010, 5:09 pm

Hey Emmie! Australia was great! I loved Sydney, and am addicted to the salt water pools along the beaches, particularly the one in Bronte (if anyone has a hook-up for a Bronte splashers swim cap let me know :mrgreen:), and if i could transpalnt Green's Cafe form Bondi to my back yard I would be sublimely happy and well fed. I saw Macbeth (or a silly version of it) performed for maybe my 8th time, but this time at th sydney Opera House, or a theater within it rather. I loved tromping around the rianforrests (on the paths) but would have enoyed something beyond daytrips in, but it wasn't that kind of real backpacking trip. Weather wasn't great for snorkeling when we were at the great Barrier reef -- all boats out the outer reef were cancelled due to wind, so we went out to an island, but b/c of low tide, we wew only maybe a foot over the coral which was kind of stressful. If I ever get computer savy enough to do anything with my pics still stored in my camera I'll post some. I most recently returned from sailing to Catalina Island (~ 5/6 hours out form LA). We really lucked out with the weather since mosty this summer has been really mild and sometimes cold.

I've seen the parks documentary too, but it's hard to watch if I dodn't have aa camping trip in the near future. I haven't been to Yellowstone since high school, but I did love it, and really enjoyed taking a drift boat down Yellowstone River (outside of the park in Paradise Valley) to fly fish. I'm a big fan of Yosemite, it's gorgeous. I haven't been to the West Valley (the big attractions) for years, but I love hiking and river romping and jumping in waterfalls in the east part of the park in Tuolomme etc. I'd like to backpack the whole John Muir trail one summer if I could get people to go along.

CG, I think I'm going to the Carolinas next summer, anything I should know or do, or definitely not do? (Did you go to Raleigh - did you have a drink with Lou and the Rooster :mrgreen:)

Aahh! Two weeks left of summer, got to make it count!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Aug 18th 2010, 2:55 pm

Wow, Australia sounds like a lot of fun. It's definitely on my ever-expanding list of places to visit. My wife and I recently returned from the Grand Canyon. Hint: visit the North Rim! It's so much less crowded on that side; 90% of all Canyon visitors head to the South Rim. Yosemite is in my future for sure. You really can't go wrong with the Utah parks. Zion (majestic), Bryce (otherworldly), Arches (Huh, how?). They're all worth the trip!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 12th 2010, 9:59 am

Hong Kong and Australia, you guys have been exotic! haha. we just went up to Montreal for labor day weekend. man, it's so clean up there! but yeah, that was really nice to get the French culture and not have to to go France. next month we are visiting New Orleans because I've never been and have been obsessed since I was 15 and read Anne Rice. such a cliche, but true. :)

I'm roughly planning a 2 week long road trip for next year. starting in Texas and ending in Colorado with a big loop through Arizona, Cali and Utah. Not sure if we'll make it to Yellowstone, because it's a bit out of the way, but definitely Yosemite.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 14th 2010, 4:23 am

I was surprised at how much I liked Hong Kong. I was going more out of obligation than any real desire to go for the sake of going, but it was very clean, efficient, and full of stuff to do. The difference in customs and airport security there and back in the U.S. was amazing. Here it's a slow, long, torturous process and there it's totally organized, moves quickly, and is almost completely painless.

Jody, this was my third trip to North Carolina and although you know how much I love David Sedaris, for some reason I didn't put it together that I was going to his hometown until I arrived the first time and my friend saw that I was reading one of his books (which are perfect for long flights because I can read a few short stories, fall asleep, and then wake up and read a few more pages). Now whenever I go, I wonder how creepy it would be for me to show up to see Lou, Melinda, and the Rooster.

Where are you planning to go in NC? You should check out the Duke campus if you are going to be in the area. Each year, I tell myself I'm going to see Duke and I never make it out there. The UNC campus is also really nice if you're going to be in Chapel Hill. There are lots of cute shops, bars, restaurants, etc. nearby. Carrboro is an adorable little town near campus - lots of public art, local bands, and cool hippie stuff. If you like beer, go to Milltown which has an insane beer selection. They have poutine too! I ate at this awesome place called the Saxapahaw General Store - best food I've ever had inside a gas station. Seriously delicious local organic food. Mmmm, duck fat fries. I could go on and on, but let me know where you're planning to go!

emmie, I totally want to visit Montreal. The food alone is enough to keep me busy for a week. Haha, do I sound like I'm really hungry right now? I loved New Orleans. We were supposed to go back for a conference in 2006 but they moved it to Atlanta because of Katrina. I was really hoping that they'd keep it in New Orleans so that we could bring a ton of money back to the city through the conference. 20,000-30,000 nerds can really stimulate the local economy! I'd love to go back to New Orleans but we probably won't be able to swing it for a few more years. I took a picture of Anne Rice's black cat (or the neighbor's black cat) in her yard. I felt like a total stalker, but it was worth it. This was about a year before she left New Orleans, so I guess it's a good thing I took the opportunity to be a stalker!

Let me know if you want to meet up while you're in California!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 24th 2011, 3:22 am

So my friend and I are starting to make plans for our trip this summer, and now that I have slightly more info on what she's planning than I did the last time I posted, I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions, etc. Emmie, you used to live in Savannah, right? Thanks!
Here is what I am thinking, fly into Savannah GA, after a few days drive to Charleston, SC; next stop Bald Head Island, NC. Not sure if flying home out of Charleston, or back to Savannah, Raleigh is too far of a drive. Thinking of at least 7 days, but there is sooo much to see & do, maybe 10.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 27th 2011, 12:32 am

So, I kept meaning to post this but my first attempt was lost after the site logged me out after taking too long, and I just never got around to it again till now. I should probably post here, but I guess it now fits this thread too.

So maybe a month or two ago I went to another David Sedaris reading, and it was excellent as always. But what was supposed to make this better than other readings was that this time I had something substantial to talk to him about -- I am going to his home town -- the place of lackluster summer Shakespearian performances, where mother's shoes are lost in snow drifts, where wood floors are inlaid with roosters, and where there are vacation homes with names such as "The Ship Shape" "The Nut Hut" "The Wait and Sea" and "The Toothless Black Man Selling Shrimp from the Back of his Van"! So when I shared that I would be taken this trip and asked f he had any suggestions of what to do, or things to see, it was a big disappointment when all he had to say was "Oh boy, I don't know, I haven't been there for ages. I only go to my dad's and my brother's." I tried to encourage him by mentioning the time he gave Ira Glass his personal tour of Paris, but all that lead to was: "Are you going to the beach?" That was it. Nothing after my confirmation. Oh well, I now it must be hard to talk to stranger after stranger, always feeling on the spot.

Anyways, I'm leaving for the trip this week, any last insider tips of things to do or see from Savannah to Raleigh?

Wishing everyone an excellent summer with lots of good travels!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jul 15th 2011, 8:01 am

The trip was AWESOME! Saw and did so many great things, met really cool people, heard great music, ate really good food, got a really good tan. Went to UNC and Duke, both beautiful! (though not impressed with the interior aesthetics of the Duke main library), found a really cool bookstore in Chapel Hill, and, thank you Natasha, the Saxapahaw General Store was awesome! Great recommendation! I'm still thinking about my sandwich! The lady that was helping us at the bookstore was really excited we were going there. (Don't know how long it's been since you've been there, but the've converted the old textile mill into condos, adding a bar and a jus-opened legit music venue. It was all I could do not to just drop my bags and move in. Anyway super great trip.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2011, 8:31 am

You know, even though I've gone three times now, I STILL haven't made it over to Duke. I meant to go the first year because an old co-worker teaches there now so I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to check out the campus. I just didn't realize how tight my schedule would be! This year I couldn't make it out there and OF COURSE they went to UNC. Of all the luck! I've driven past the Chapel Hill campus a few times while I was in town but I wish I could have stopped and walked around. I did get to see some of the area near campus, which was cute. We went to one of the thrift stores and a wine bar. I swear, next time I am going to make time to go to at least one of the colleges! Ha, is it any wonder I haven't had time to stalk the various Sedaris family members?

How disappointing that David couldn't give you any good recommendations? If someone were going to my hometown, I'd at least remember a few restaurants or points of interest to check out. Then again, maybe he doesn't want to send people to one of the few places he goes when he's in town since some of us may be stalkers!

I'm so glad you made it to the Saxapahaw General Store! I want to hear about what you ate! When I was in NC last summer, I think I ate there three times and I was only in town for a week! It was conveniently located near my friend's house, which I loved! Even without the yummy good, it's so cute. I bought some lotion and other stuff while I was waiting for my food. I also loved the variety of items. When I was there last year, the music venue was still under construction so I didn't get to see it in person, but since it opened I've seen some pictures and it looks pretty cool. Did you get to see a show there?

If you can believe it, I was supposed to be in NC from June 19-June 27 so we would have just missed each other!

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 29th 2011, 8:01 pm

Jody, I'm sorry that I haven't checked the forum in so long. I would have given you a plethora of great places to visit in Savannah. did you end up making it there?

I was reading over my last travel post and laughed when I saw my great plans for a road trip. unfortunately it didn't work out this year. it's so difficult to go on a road trip when you're older and have a full time job. especially when you're in a relationship. we have managed to go to some great local cities though. we visited DC for memorial day which was a perfect, if not crowded, time to visit. we also visited Boston this summer, loved that city too! and this weekend we are going to Chicago. I love visiting US cities and really getting a feel for our own history, even if it's young. I just replied in the parental post about meeting up in LA possibly next summer. hopefully my road trip will actually happen and I'll get to see the grand canyon and some of colorado too. I've never seen the desert, and am just dying to get. I have weird obsessions once I get an idea in my head, ha ha.

I've been hearing of David Sedaris a lot lately. just one of those random things that keep coming up. if two of my fav internet people love him, I'll def have to check him out. any books that I absolutely have to check out?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Sep 4th 2011, 12:09 am

Emmie! I loved Savannah! I actually thought of you when we walked by some of the SCAD buildings (although I don't know that's where you went). We ended up kayaking off of Tybee with some filmmakers who'd gone to school in Savannah but now live in Austin. We didn't have nearly enough time in the city, but we did love it!! God, it's beautiful. It struck us as a great walking/biking city. (I don't know if it's super touristy, but we did shut down (nearly) Savannah Smiles. It was a trip -- we befriended a biker couple, got my White Stripes played, and heard the army song (which I swear I'd never heard before) sung four times.)

Thanks to the California budget crisis we've got some travel time this winter and we're driving out to Sedona, and then the west rim of the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon was one of those places I never wanted to go to as a kid when my parents planned trips, but now I'm really excited to be there! (I'm a little bummed it's going to be cold, and that it won't involve rafting the Colorado, but I guess it's not going anywhere.)

I highly suggest a road trip, even if it has to be a short one; we had such a time driving up the coast, stopping at all the beaches (which I guess seems kind of like a silly trip for someone from a beach town. It's also funny how the beaches seemed really similar and also totally different from our beaches.)

Chicago and Boston are both high on my list. As are New Orleans (maybe this summer), Austin, Philadelphia, and Nashville.

It's hard to narrow David down... my first instinct is to say Naked, but then I think Me Talk Pretty One Day, and then no, When You are Engulfed in Flames, and then wait, what about Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Maybe I'll share some of my favorite stories. I love "Ashes", "Six to Eight Black Men" is funny, as is "Nuit of the Living Dead". Because of my job I love "The Learning Curve", and because of my childhood, and a little because of my job, I love "The Drama Bug." "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and absolutely "Jesus Shaves". I love the stories with his mother, and my sister only likes the stories with his brother Paul. "Dinah, the Christmas Whore" is good. My absolute current favorite is "Keeping Up." One of my favorite things he's written is the intro to his collection of others' short stories "Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules". One thing I love about his stories is his structure -- he'll begin with one thing, move on to something else, and then connect ti back to the first. "Six to Eight Black Men" is a good example of this. You should definitely hear David read some of his stories, you can do a search at This American Life's website as he contributes to them from time to time. (I have a Sedaris poster behind my desk at work, and occasionally I'll pull out a mirror and inevitably I jump because there seems to be man directly behind me.) :mrgreen:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30866231/Davi ... -and-Gloss

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... /drama-bug

Natasha, this is a belated answer, but, as I can still taste my meal at the Saxapahaw, I guess it's fine. Had a local ale, the potatoes you'd mentioned (delicious), a greens salad, with kale lasagna (amazing!!!) and the most incredible meatloaf sandwich -- literally, life changing. I dream about that sandwich. (We went to take a picture of the chalkboard menu, but they'd already changed it entirely. We did, however, buy a t shirt for our friend who was home with a new baby, and every time I see the shirt I smile.) Sadly we did not see a show at the music venue. We found out about it too late.

Emmie, you need to make it to LA this summer, I'm determined we're going to do this meet up. :D

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Mar 22nd 2012, 10:23 pm

Did the 'road trip' to Sedona, AZ about a month ago (is it still technically a road trip if you reach your destination in one day?). We did a lot of hiking, did the South Rim of Grand Canyon, did a really cool hike in Prescott, and visited Jerome, where, let me say, if I ever take up motorcycles and become a totally different person, this is the town I'm moving to to do it -- loved it. The best thing about Grand Canyon, besides the sheer majesty of it, is the warning signs posted everywhere. Yes, they're meant to save lives, and some tell very sad stories, but they're all presented in this tongue-in-cheek manner that makes them all a little bit absurd. Anyway, great trip. Looking forward to a time when i can spend some time on the Colorado.

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Mar 25th 2012, 3:16 pm

I'm so glad you made it to the Grand Canyon, Jody! 'Majesty' is definitely the right word for it. And I think it still qualifies as a road trip. I hope I can get back there in the near future.

No classic road trips for me this summer but I will have two work trips to China. I'm not sure if I'll have the chance for too much sight seeing, though. :?

What is everyone else doing?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 27th 2012, 6:53 am

I'm going to Washington DC (for a funeral) and Virginia wine country (for a wedding) in a few weeks. I haven't been to the area since I was a little girl. My aunt used to live there so I visited her a few times when I was younger. I went back when she got married and then a few years later when she had her first baby, but there was no sightseeing on either of those trips. My husband's last (and only) visit to the area was when he was in eighth grade, so both of us are looking forward to playing tourist. The only problem is narrowing down what we have time to see while we're there! My husband would be happy driving around to every Civil War battlefield but we decided that we're not going to rent a car so we're going to stick to the major museums/monuments around DC. If anyone has recommendations for absolute must sees or awesome places to eat, let me know!

I've still never been to the Grand Canyon. The only times I've technically been to Arizona were on a few layovers, when I went to the Hoover Dam, and when I went to Laughlin. I have been to Waimea Canyon on Kauai, and it's known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. I took almost an entire roll of film there (yes, back in the olden days when we still used film) and was so disappointed when I saw the pictures because they couldn't do justice to the way it looked in real life.