Calendars

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 5th 2005, 2:21 pm

mmmm, yes, her flank is exposed. :twisted:

Babes with Blades wouldn't be my choice from the calender rack, but I believe your friend now has one more fan on her work.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Jan 5th 2005, 3:37 pm

Nothingman wrote:mmmm, yes, her flank is exposed. :twisted:

Babes with Blades wouldn't be my choice from the calender rack, but I believe your friend now has one more fan on her work.
HA HA HA!!! she'll be glad to know it! LOL actually she's a costumer in LA, but a frined of hers was doing this shoot and asked her to be in it. She told me "I'm so photoshopped you'll never recognise me!"
She does amazing work in leather and and metal, she also started out as the person who build guitars...sorry I don't remember the proper name.
ANYWAY take a look at her site here: http://www.vivarebecca.com/index.html

she's also an amazing artist!http://www.foxyworldofrebeccaseven.com/
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 5th 2005, 5:49 pm

grim4746 wrote:
Kristin wrote:I hate that stuff. Especially that Ann Geddies photography - YUCk.
So then my new avatar doesn't brighten up your new year? :twisted:
Did you do that just to spite me? :lol: I will sick those babes in amour on you! Although... perhaps that's not the best threat? :D Yes, I really hate the Anne Geddes: I can feel the last thing I ate crawling back up my throat every time I see that sacchrine junk.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 9th 2005, 9:43 pm

I always used to have several calendars: one at home, one at work, and a daily planner. This provided me with the opportunity to have all kinds of calendars I liked! I had a Sierra Club calendar that I really liked, as well as an Ansel Adams calendar that was gorgeous. I'm open to anything with beautiful scenery though - one year we brought home calendars from Hawaii to remind us of our vacation. I also like pictures of the human body, so calendars of ballet, dance, yoga, pilobolus, etc. are also well-received. Last year I had an art calendar. I bought it solely because it had my favorite Bouguereau painting. I still haven't bought a new calendar for 2005.

Count me in with the anti-Geddes group. My sister used to love those pictures and I never understood why. Of all the photos I have seen, I think maybe one or two of them seemed okay but that was cancelled out by the immense dislike I had for the rest of her work. Those photos of babies dressed up remind me of the those Wegman weimaraner pictures - ugh.

I also really dislike the Wyland paintings of whales and dolphins. Lots of people love them though, so I guess I'm the freak.

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 10th 2005, 1:03 pm

candygirl wrote:II also really dislike the Wyland paintings of whales and dolphins. Lots of people love them though, so I guess I'm the freak.

In the art world they call that kind of stuff kitsch - art that doesn't make a bold statement. Generic stuff you would see in a hotel lobby. I learned that in a painting class I had a couple semesters ago. People love it because it's non-controversial and "pretty", easy on the eyes and mind. People don't like to think much or be shaken up I guess.
Last edited by SanDeE* on Jan 10th 2005, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2005, 4:31 pm

I don't think that something has to be shocking in order to be considered art - I just don't like cheesy pictures of dolphins.

:mrgreen:

I don't have an issue with kitsch per se, but the fact that these Wylands sell for thousands of dollars seems a bit out there. I don't think Mr. Wyland considers himself kitsch either.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 10th 2005, 5:14 pm

candygirl wrote:I don't think that something has to be shocking in order to be considered art - I just don't like cheesy pictures of dolphins.

I don't have an issue with kitsch per se, but the fact that these Wylands sell for thousands of dollars seems a bit out there. I don't think Mr. Wyland considers himself kitsch either.
I agree with you, candygirl - I don't think art necessarily has to be shocking to be condsidered art... I hope you didn't get that impression from my last post. Not all the art I create is shocking or make political/ethical/etc. statements. I also agree that a lot of kitsch art doesn't need to cost as much as it goes for. The bad thing about non-kitsch art - the kind that does make bold/shocking statements - is that it is inaccessible. For example, who wants a Frida Kahlo painting in their house? Her work is amazing, beautiful, and powerful, but usually very unpleasant subject matter. I have a book on her, but I wouldn't want one of her paintings hanging in my living room, if you know what I mean. The dolphins, etc. are accessible to everyone, not just those in the art world, and they are pleasant to look at, so that stuff ends up in people's homes. I totally get that, I hope you don't think I'm an art snob! I have pleasant stuff hanging up in my apartment, like Van Gogh and Monet prints. But no dolphins or dressed-up babies. :wink: Kitsch is not necessarily the same as too-cutsie-poo.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2005, 6:34 pm

No, I didn't think you were implying that at all! I just meant what you said much better than I did - that it's possible to have accessible, non-offensive art that isn't cheesy, cliche, or cutsie.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 11th 2005, 8:00 pm

I think good art makes an emotional connection. Of course that varies for everyone. There is also the appreciation of the skill it takes to make certain types of art. I enjoy photography and scenic artwork because I like to taken somewhere, and reminded of places I've been or wish I could visit. I also like pieces that make me think.

I see babies dressed up as flowers as a red flag. If that's what a girl is into, that's fine. There is nothing wrong with liking it, but it does point out that we probably have very different emotional triggers. Not to mention the fact it makes me want to gag.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 11th 2005, 10:28 pm

I'm strongly considering getting the Suicide Girls' calendar. :oops: :twisted:
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

wicked
Catalano

Post by wicked » Jan 12th 2005, 2:47 pm

If that's what a girl is into, that's fine. There is nothing wrong with liking it, but it does point out that we probably have very different emotional triggers. Not to mention the fact it makes me want to gag.
I keep hearinf sinefelds "Not that there's anything wrong with tha!"

LOL I agree whole heartedly... barf.
It's too saccrine for me personally
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"