Best Year Ever

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 10th 2005, 9:10 pm

I wasn't quite sure which thread I should post this on, I thought maybe "Moving," but since it's not actually me who will be moving, I thought this was as good a place as any. Over Memorial Day weekend I went to help my friend and his wife and a bunch of their friends and family members construct their new home. They live in the Santa Barbara mountains, and have been living in a very modest cement and recycled wood two room structure, and are now upgrading to this awesome dome! It's over 36 feet tall, and they will eventually be building a redwood deck all the way around, putting in a bamboo floor and a loft. It's really cool to stand inside and look up, and out that huge window. The top of the dome can either be the green tarp (which is good for during the summer to keep it from getting too hot), or clear plastic like the huge window (which is good for the winter when they'll be wanting more light and heat). (You can definitely see my friend and his wife in the pictures, and I think you can see my black tank top and ponytail, and later my light green sweater in a few).
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Jun 10th 2005, 10:13 pm

that dome is really awesome...

how does one heat such a dome?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 11th 2005, 12:11 am

Well, the night we all stayed in it after we put the cover on (but before it was tightened, or the door was installed) it was FREEZING -- I was so cold I was crying, well, nearly. Anyway, when they move in they will have a wood burning fireplace, and maybe a space heater? It will be nice and cozy. These two are pretty used to being cold though, they're basically outside at all times unless they are sleeping, and their current living quarters is not all that well heated. I tend to think it will heat up to a high degree during the summer though. You can see in some of the pictures that the bottom flaps can roll up to help release the hot air when needed. The little circular windows you see pop in and out, you can switch back and forth between screens and clear plastic. They will have electricity and running water -- a big sink, a refrigerator, oven/stove, and a washer and a dryer. Last year they finally got a water heater after living up there for five years without it. They also just built a bathroom up there last summer -- a free standing structure with a sink, a shower, and a "toilet".
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 13th 2005, 12:23 am

pgh kenny wrote:that dome is really awesome...

how does one heat such a dome?
Very cool pics thanks for sharing.

Jody,

Looks like hard work but mostly fun, yes?

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 13th 2005, 10:10 am

Wow, that looks very cool. what an amazing place to live! I sometimes wish I had the guts to just bug out and get rid of all mod-cons and live like that. I hope it turns out really nicely for them.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Spreading joy

Post by lance » Jun 23rd 2005, 12:32 am

Well for a while I didn't think I would have anything to contribute to this thread for a while...

I took a gamble (no pun intended) when I moved out from Vegas to Santa Cruz. Many, many people close to me questioned this decision. And it has been hard but I have good news.

In the past two years I have seen so much and grown much more as person as I did over the past 10. Last week I finally, finally secured a library job starting in July. After more than year I will be able to do the work I love to do...and get paid for it.

In addition I have fallen very much in love with Santa Cruz. When I initially came to this city I had not much thought beyond a few months. I have come to love the weather, the people, the beach and the beauty of the place.

I was out on the beach the other day and I saw my first wild seal. I don't know if I can sufficently describe to you this feeling. Growing up in the Midwest the only seal I had seen was well pampered one at the zoo. The other day I was on the beach and I looked out, and there beyond the breakers bobbing along was a brown seal. He was doing what ever one else was, enjoying the beach and the nice weather.

I have some more pics of Santa Cruz at my site

http://www.lanceland.net/California_SC.htm

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 23rd 2005, 5:30 am

WOO-HOO!!!! Congratulations Lance! That's fantastic news... starting July, so not too far away :D 8) :onfire: :onfire:

I'm really happy for you, having found a place to live that you enjoy, a job... that's great :) Plus I looked at those pictures and I'm very jealous. I love the murals - why have a concrete wall when you can have art? It's brilliant. The area looks wonderful, and I don't think much can compare with living by the sea in terms of calming relaxation and stress reduction.

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 23rd 2005, 2:12 pm

That's wonderful news Lance, Congratulations! Hopefully you've found in Santa Cruz a place where you can settle in and enjoy for a while. I love Santa Cruz, a friend of mine lives in Aptos, it's great up there! :sunshine:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 25th 2005, 5:04 pm

starbug wrote:WOO-HOO!!!! Congratulations Lance! That's fantastic news... starting July, so not too far away :D 8) :onfire: :onfire:

I'm really happy for you, having found a place to live that you enjoy, a job... that's great :) Plus I looked at those pictures and I'm very jealous. I love the murals - why have a concrete wall when you can have art? It's brilliant. The area looks wonderful, and I don't think much can compare with living by the sea in terms of calming relaxation and stress reduction.
Thanks Jody, Starbug

Yeah, I see myself being here for couple of years easy. Nothing like seeing the ocean to give one perspective.

The cool thing with moving is that you start over again. You don't know where anything is. So you have this small "play pen" that you operate of. Sort of a comfort zone where you know where everything is. As you learn more streets, find more stores your world gets a bit bigger. So my play pen has gradually gotten larger as I have been to Half Moon Bay, San Jose, Monterey, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Sunnyvale, Redwood City, and Berkeley.

Not quite local yet, but I am working on it.

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 25th 2005, 9:48 pm

Oh, I love Monetery! Have you been to the aquarium? It's by far my favorite one -- the tuna tank is amazing, and all the jelly fish tanks with the neon lights, and the sardine instalation in the ceiling, it's so cool. I'd be there everyday just to hang and read and write if I lived there. You're definitely in good distance of some great places to visit, enjoy Lance!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jun 29th 2005, 6:12 pm

Congratulations lance! I don't have much insight on living in CA at all, but it's awesome that your move there was worth it. And there's nothing better than getting paid to do what you love. Again congrats!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jun 29th 2005, 6:31 pm

I just was in Kansas City for six days - just got back. While I was in KC I went to a string shop to look at basses (big upright basses). Just LOOK, and get an idea of prices so maybe I was thinking of talking to my folks about saving up for one. Well, people... I'm in love. I ended up putting a deposit on a beautiful bass - chocolate brown wood, 3/4 size, made in 2005. I will be this bass's first owner!!! I'm so super excited --- it is an extremely big purchase. It will be the most expensive thing I have ever owned (thus far). More expensive than my car. So this is a big deal. Best year ever! :D
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 29th 2005, 11:21 pm

Yeah Kristin! Such a great instrument! Congratulations, what fun!

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 30th 2005, 11:46 pm

Kristin wrote:I just was in Kansas City for six days - just got back. While I was in KC I went to a string shop to look at basses (big upright basses). Just LOOK, and get an idea of prices so maybe I was thinking of talking to my folks about saving up for one. Well, people... I'm in love. I ended up putting a deposit on a beautiful bass - chocolate brown wood, 3/4 size, made in 2005. I will be this bass's first owner!!! I'm so super excited --- it is an extremely big purchase. It will be the most expensive thing I have ever owned (thus far). More expensive than my car. So this is a big deal. Best year ever! :D
Oh so very cool!

:D

-LanceMan

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jul 1st 2005, 1:21 pm

In the past two years I have seen so much and grown much more as person as I did over the past 10. Last week I finally, finally secured a library job starting in July. After more than year I will be able to do the work I love to do...and get paid for it.

In addition I have fallen very much in love with Santa Cruz. When I initially came to this city I had not much thought beyond a few months. I have come to love the weather, the people, the beach and the beauty of the place.
Lance - Glad to hear that you have settled nicley in Santa Cruz. The pictures are beautiful!