Best Year Ever

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Jul 1st 2005, 1:25 pm

Kristin wrote:I just was in Kansas City for six days - just got back. While I was in KC I went to a string shop to look at basses (big upright basses). Just LOOK, and get an idea of prices so maybe I was thinking of talking to my folks about saving up for one. Well, people... I'm in love. I ended up putting a deposit on a beautiful bass - chocolate brown wood, 3/4 size, made in 2005. I will be this bass's first owner!!! I'm so super excited --- it is an extremely big purchase. It will be the most expensive thing I have ever owned (thus far). More expensive than my car. So this is a big deal. Best year ever! :D
How exciting Kristin! Hope you have fun with your new purchase :D

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jul 25th 2005, 4:08 pm

Hey everyone - sorry I've been away for so long! I went up further north in Wisconsin for my cousin's wedding, and that was about 10 days because we went camping after. Then I went to Chicago for Lollapalooza last weekend, which was awesome!!! So I've been out of town. Also, the internet here at my parents' sucks. But anyway, thanks lance and schris! I am super excited about the bass. I'm going to KC on Wednesday to make another payment on it and I think I'll be able to finish the payment the first week of classes at the end of August. SWEET!!!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 16th 2005, 1:24 pm

:shock:

oh my gawd.

Ya know its hard being a prophet. That's what always have heard.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/09/14/library.html

(Please note the report is in greivous error, more than 50 employees have been let go-see below)

Especially if one is like Cassandra of Greek myth, given to know what terrible events will follow, warning and all and being ignored by all.

Thus this week I and my friend have received tremendous vindication. For those confused let me back up.

I and my friend both used to work at the Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County. I was there for 5 years, he was there for 7. What follows is rough timeline of what happened while we there:

The previous library director had many faults but he kept the library systems funded. 95% of the funding comes from State Revenues. With the recession of 2001 the new Library Administrator knew that revenues were going to fall. Instead of taking drastic long term action to head off what was coming she chose instead to temporize, to stall in other words to put off the hard decisions (closing branches, reducings budgets for buying materials, for putting a levy on the ballot to bring in revenue). In fact a new fundraiser for the library would not be hired until 2003. The fundraiser later quit in sheer frustration at the bureacratic incompetance she encountered. Meanwhile the library director instituted a hiring freeze in 2002 and away we go.

-Before the hiring the freeze in 2002 PLCH had 909
employees.

-At the end of the hiring of the freeze PLCH had 791.
During the freeze they froze the hiring process until
100 positions were elimanted. At the end of the
freeze they forceable reassigned people to fill gaps
in the service but a large number of the people
reassigned were assigned to branches on opposite sides
of the city from where they lived. In a blantant
attempt to force people out.

-March of 2005 PLCH announced that 150 positions where
being elminated. They clearly elimated people at the
top of the pay scale irregardless of service records.
They basically fired everyone, made them reapply for
their own positions and uniformly failed to rehire the
people at the top of the payscale.

Back in 2002 I and my friend attempted to form a union, to have some say in the future of the library. Nobody showed at the meeting. All were too scared of losing their jobs and believing the worst would not come, and it did. So I and my friend got out.

Finally, finally after more than 200 jobs have been lost the remaining workers have decided enough is enough and they are forming a union. I wish them the best of luck.

(sigh of satisfaction)

:D

Tis a good week.

-LanceMan

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Dating again..

Post by lance » Oct 2nd 2006, 10:11 pm

:shock: :D

Well I can honestly say that I didn't think I would be here again, but I am dating again and its wonderful.

Met a really nice woman who goes to University. She is a Computer Engineering student and just brilliant. She also kind, sensitive, beautiful and makes makes me laugh. I smile ever time I think of her. She is also a huge Sci Fi fan and we have a lot of shows we like to watch together.

So no predictions, no rushing, just really, really enjoying being kissed again, being hugged again. Thought I would share the good news.

-LanceMan :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 3rd 2006, 2:16 am

Awwww, good for you!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 3rd 2006, 6:13 pm

hugs are the best!

that's so great, I love hearing good news. :)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 3rd 2006, 6:25 pm

That's awesome Lance. It's an amazing feeling to desire and be desired at the same time. Enjoy.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 14th 2007, 9:56 pm

Hey all,

Been away from the forum for a bit. Been debating for a couple of weeks exactly where I would put this post: Best Year or Worst Year.

Last year (2006) I was evicted twice, experienced great romance and great heartbreak not once but twice, learned who my friends were and who weren't. And I wouldn't have traded those experiences for anything.

Things are still difficult in Lanceland but its like waking from a bad dream. After some heartbreak I am slowly wading back into the thick of things. After major housing upheavals I now have a home for at least another 6 months. After not really having any answers to financial stress I am in the hunt for 2 jobs that could really make a difference. So I am not out of the woods yet but I just spotted one of those "You are Here" signs.

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 14th 2007, 10:47 pm

Lance, sorry to hear about all the negatives this past year, but I'm glad it made it into the "Best" instead of the "Worst" year thread. Two evictions in one year? That sounds awful. Having to move out of my place this summer was upsetting and stressful, I can only imagine having to do it more than once. Heartbreaks and friend-aches, you’re not alone there. I hope your circumstances improve and that things get easier, and that in the meantime you're able to keep your head above water. Good luck with your perspective jobs.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jan 16th 2007, 10:49 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:Lance, sorry to hear about all the negatives this past year, but I'm glad it made it into the "Best" instead of the "Worst" year thread. Two evictions in one year? That sounds awful. Having to move out of my place this summer was upsetting and stressful, I can only imagine having to do it more than once. Heartbreaks and friend-aches, you’re not alone there. I hope your circumstances improve and that things get easier, and that in the meantime you're able to keep your head above water. Good luck with your perspective jobs.
Thanks very, very much Jody.

-LanceMan

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jan 18th 2007, 12:52 am

I agree with Jody that although all that happened, you were still able to look upon everything with a grain of salt and at least it made it into the best year thread. but like you wrote, you were still fortunate enough to have those experiences.

in my opinion, it almost seems worse to have those 'finding who your real friends are' situations. because it's almost expected to have heartbreak in a romance, but to feel betrayed by friends? that's one thing in your life that is supposed to be a constant you can depend on, so I feel ya on that one.

I'm glad though that you feel semi settled for the moment with hopeful prospects near! good luck with the two potential jobs!

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 18th 2007, 2:17 am

Hi Lance, I know that things will become better for you. Every person has some times in their life that are a little tougher than others, but they always lead you to the right thing/place/job/person in the end. Hang in there! I agree and I'm glad you ended up in the "Best Year" thread.

My brother is going through a similar situation with the friends. He recently broke up with his girlfriend of 9 months, and all of their friends have turned on him... even though SHE was the one who initiated the break and SHE is the one who strung him along for almost a year. I don't think this girl is a bad person, but I do think she is very confused about what a relationship is all about - one way in front of him, a facade in front of everyone else. She was complaining to him in the end about all his little flaws she doesn't like (the way he tells stories, for example), that you just have to get over about people. But now, all these friends of theirs have taken her side. My brother lives with a few of these people, too. And my brother is so great and sweet and genuine... he really believes in the goodness of people and is very loyal... so he is torn up about these "friends". I told him that the break up is a personal thing between two people, and it's none of the friends' business. These people are showing him their true colors, and it is probably time to separate from them, too. It is so hard to forgive a friend for falsely accusing you of something or turning their backs on you over nothing. He did absolutely nothing wrong to deserve this.

The same thing happened to me too when I was 13... I had a close group of friends (mostly 13-15) and one of the girls (13 too) wanted me to date her 17-yr-old brother. I couldn't do that - too big an age difference at the time for me (and I talked with her brother and he agreed). But this girlfriend of mine got angry and convinced all of our group that I was not worthy of their friendship anymore. I was lonely for quite a while and it hurt a lot. But I got through it - and now I have run into a few of these people in the past couple of years, and I realize I was better off without them anyway.

Okay, enough rambling and time for bed!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Re: Best Year Ever

Post by Brunkster » Jan 4th 2010, 6:46 pm

I just had to resurrect this discussion because it seemed to be a fitting place to say. . .Happy New Year! How is 2010 looking for you all? Amazing, terrible, mischievous, productive, scary, turbulent, etc.? All I can say for my 2010 so far is that it looks busy. :P