Ipods suck!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
kappster
Three Rivers Resident

Ipods suck!

Post by kappster » Nov 22nd 2004, 3:54 am

I had been saving up and splurged and bought myself a 40 GB Ipod from buy.com at about $370. I received it last thursday and for 3 days it was the coolest thing that I had ever owned. Sound is great. Easy to use. All of my Mp3s and CDs in one place. Awesome.....and then.....I dropped it. I had it in my back pocket and went to sit down. It fell out of my pocket and hit the ground (linoleum). It fell a total of about 2 feet...and shattered the display. Still plays music perfectly, but I can no longer read the menu so it is near impossible to navigate. So in short...$370 down the drain and Ipods suck. I can't believe that this is a portable device, meant to be taken anywhere and it can't survive a 2 foot drop. Did I mention how easily the chrome back scratches? Thought for a moment that I would send it back and say that it arrived damaged (not very honest, I know) but it shows so much wear (scratches) in 3 days that they would know it was used. I am so pissed! Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 22nd 2004, 4:03 am

Bummer! Nearly the same thing happened to my brother. He didn't order his, he bought it in person in an electronics store. But he dropped it maybe a week or so after he got it, and he said the display was messed up. I told him to check his warranty & receipt, and bring it back to the store to see what they could do.

I don't have the money for an iPod. I don't really want an iPod, but if I were ever to get one, it would be in a couple of years when the price goes down some. Maybe by then enough people would have dropped them and Mac would figure out how to make the iPods tougher!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Nov 22nd 2004, 8:08 am

The other day I was shopping for new headphones and noticed that a lot of them featured cords wrapped in kevlar, the same resilient material used in flak vests and other protective clothing. So if they can do that on the cords, why can't they just coat an entire I-Pod in it? I'm pretty sure I've seen other small electronic devices with shock-hardened components, albeit usually on outdoorsy stuff like GPS beacons and walkie-talkies.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Nov 22nd 2004, 12:16 pm

Hence why I bought a Dell DJ. I haven't dropped mine yet (hopefully never will) but I have seen pictures of some peoples online where they have dropped it several times and the DJ looks banged up to hell, and they still work perfectly.

I was going to buy an iPod, but like most things Apple I decided they are way overpriced. I got the 20GB Dell DJ for $199. You can not go wrong with that price IMO.

You can probably send it back to Apple and get it fixed or a refurb for a good price. I remember I stepped on my Handspring PDA and cracked my screen a few years ago. THey had a replacement system like I mentioned above.

Bolt
Tino

Post by Bolt » Nov 24th 2004, 1:13 am

Ugh, that's such a shame.
I baby my Rio Karma (or at least I try to and fail), but I've dropped it at least thirty times over the past 11 months and it's working fine.
Screw Apple.

blueone
Overlooked Sibling

Post by blueone » Dec 6th 2004, 2:27 am

That's a shame, I would have thought Ipods were made to last especially since they cost a fortune! I'd try anything to get it replaced, even if it involved lying about what happened.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Dec 6th 2004, 1:33 pm

I wrote earlier that my brother dropped his and it was messed up. He told me over Thanksgiving that he just brought it back to the store and they gave him a brand-spankin' new one. Of course, he was lucky that it broke within the warranty period. I don't know what Mac would do otherwise.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

toolostinyou
Jody Barsh

Post by toolostinyou » Dec 6th 2004, 8:21 pm

damn that really sucks!!! and i wanted one!!! i've dropped my cd player so many times and that thing works just as well as when i first got it!!! few scratches, but at least the sound and display are good!!!
"Apparently Delia Fischer smiles at everyone. She probably comes from one of
those small towns where everyone's friendly and smiles at you for no reason.
I hate that type of town."
-- Brian

Post by Guest » Dec 7th 2004, 12:28 am

I had purchased form Buy.com and I sent it back last week. They didn't receive it until friday and i am still waiting to hear back from them. I was definately within the warranty period, so I hope they replace it no questions asked. Keeping my fingers crossed and am hopeful.