geeze... I'e tunred into such a wuss

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
wicked
Catalano

geeze... I'e tunred into such a wuss

Post by wicked » Oct 25th 2004, 4:40 pm

tried to start running again this week.

I get winded after ONE FREAKIN BLOCK...I mean I was never super in shape but really what is that all about...sigh
then my knee starts to give out

I've just turned into this old lady...someone hand me my cane.

( watch it with the comments or I'll send ya all to your rooms without supper...the old get kinda cranky ya know :wink: )
"So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wive's tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS - OTHER PEOPLE!"

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 25th 2004, 6:09 pm

Kudo's for getting back into exercise. I'd recommend the eliptical machine to minimize joint impact. It takes a lot of time and effort as I'm sure you know, but it's worth totally worth it. May I ask why the sudden motivation to run again? Don't get discoraged by one block making you winded, a brisk walking pace for a few weeks will help ease you into it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Oct 25th 2004, 6:26 pm

Good for you, wicked! :D
wicked wrote:then my knee starts to give out
I'm only 21 and I can't run for the life of me. Never really could, either. My knees just start to hurt too much. I've bought the good shoes, asked gym employees and other people who run what I'm doing wrong... they just say that running isn't the exercise for me. So I bike instead, and I do yoga, pilates, and a little weight training too.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 25th 2004, 10:29 pm

Ditto the elliptical machine. It's a great work-out.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 25th 2004, 11:00 pm

Kristin wrote:Good for you, wicked! :D
wicked wrote:then my knee starts to give out
I'm only 21 and I can't run for the life of me. Never really could, either. My knees just start to hurt too much. I've bought the good shoes, asked gym employees and other people who run what I'm doing wrong... they just say that running isn't the exercise for me. So I bike instead, and I do yoga, pilates, and a little weight training too.
-Ditto, kudos wicked.

My knees are such that I run but only every other day.

-LanceMan

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Oct 26th 2004, 10:44 am

Well done Wicked! To me, actually taking the step of putting on running clothes, going outside and running, is by far the biggest part of the battle won! :D
Me, I've done it exactly twice in my life, and both times I thought I might die. now I occasionally run on the treadmill but only out of desperation.

I find running way more physically demanding than other exercise, for some reason. it's harder than the elliptical step machine (I sometimes think I could do that all year) definitely. For some reason though the calorie read-out of the running machine results in instant depression as it seems to register about 1/3 the calories the step machine does. :?

Anyway, at the moment I'm doing an 'ultratone' class at the gym, which is basically like really low-level weight training. I need an instructor at the front of the class yelling at me, or I just don't push myself. I also do cardio once a week... which involves me getting a magazine, finding the elliptical step machine, and reading for half an hour while my legs move independently beneath me.

Seriously, if you find motivation an issue I think it really does help to have some militant other-worldly muscular creature yelling 'come ON! You can DO IT!' at you from the front of their class. Plus the woman who does my class has the body of Sarah Jessica Parker crossed with Elle McPherson, which provides some inspiration for a goal. 8)

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------