Masters Degree

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 10th 2006, 4:49 pm

Woo hoo! Congrats on finishing, starbug!

:clap:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 14th 2007, 11:42 pm

After two years of semi-idle talk and contemplation of going back to school, I'm starting to take steps towards applying to the 2007 Fall semester at a local state university for my Library Media Teaching credential. I'm not sure if I'll also go for the masters in Librarianship. So far I'm just gathering letters of Rec, working on my personal statement, and updating my resume -- and of course stressing about time and money, money and time. I'm also a little worried about choosing a new career -- is it the right one? Is there something I'd rather do? This would be a relative safe transition for me, but does that mean it's the one I should make?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 15th 2007, 12:01 am

Wow, that is a lot to think about Jody. That is partly why I wanted to just bite the bullet and start my masters immediately after finishing my bachelors. I was afraid if I waited, I would lose momentum, interest, and drive to go back to school.

This is my LAST semester for my masters. I have to complete my thesis (composing a "musical work of substance"... those are the only stipulations) and defend it, take and pass my comprehensive exams, go through all the graduation rigamaroll [sp?], get ready to move back home in May... all on top of a full credit load, job, extra-curricular activities, scholarship duties, and regular household stuff and hobbies. AND sustaining a long-distance relationship. AND helping my mother (in WI) with wedding plans (I'm in MO). PHEW!!!! Cross your fingers I'll make it out alive!!!!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 15th 2007, 1:07 am

I think it depends on the program. With a PhD program, which takes a lot longer, it's generally better to take some time off after you finish your bachelors degree, if for no other reason than to stop, take a look around, and see where you are after 16+ years of nonstop school. I know some people who went into a PhD program straight out of their undergrad and ended up realizing that although it seemed like the next logical step, it wasn't the right place for them to be. Most of the people I know who are in PhD programs took off at least a year after finishing their undergrad degrees.

I agree that taking time off might make you lose some of your momentum and drive to go into a graduate program, but I don't know that it's necessarily a bad thing for that to happen. I've seen so many people pursue higher education because it's what's expected of them or that's what they think they're suppose to do or because they aren't ready to get a "real" job yet, and none of those reasons seem compelling enough to me to commit to a graduate degree. But take that with a grain of salt because I'm pretty biased at this point. After working with lots of people who are working towards PhDs or already have PhDs, graduate degrees do not impress me in the least anymore. I used to think people like that had to be really brilliant, but it turns out that is not always true. I'm still all for education, but I've definitely taken come to realize that any sort of degree is only worth what each individual puts into it. I've seen some pretty stupid people BS their way into degrees, which makes me really sad for the state of education in general.

Jody, what made you decide to do this now? Please don't take my above rant as trying to discourage you from going to grad school! Are you tired of teaching? Are you just ready to try something new? What stopped you from pursuing these library programs in the last two years?

Just because it's a safe choice doesn't mean it's the wrong choice. It sounds like you've been thinking about this for a while, so maybe now is the right time for you to make the switch.

Hang in there, Kristin - you're almost there! Have you started composing your thesis? Do those stipulations say just how substantial? Like a minimum length or anything? I'm sure you'll do great!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 15th 2007, 1:55 am

I was one of those people who graduated undergrad and was in grad school exactly seven days later (after working a 50 week at my old summer job). I went straight through after my BA for my credential and masters in education, and I can't remember ever really making that decision ... Anyway, parts of teaching I really love, and parts I would continue to love if teachers had any real control for radical change, and other parts are literally breaking my spirit and sucking away my will to live. I've put off applying to a library program because I've been worrying about money, deciding between a masters in Library Science and a library media credential, hoping work would improve, and procrastinating. I'm concerned about emerging from the program prepared for another profession I can't live long-term with. I think I'd kind of like to do something with my hands ... carpentry has interested me since high school, or maybe farming. I have friends who own a peach farm, and my sister's in-laws have a farm. I don't know ... But being a student again sounds really nice.

Good luck with everything Kristin!!!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Re: Masters Degree

Post by SanDeE* » May 28th 2008, 8:24 pm

Haha - weird to read that old post of mine above. Well, things didn't exactly work out like I thought they would. I ended up finishing my masters this month (May 2008) after taking an extra year to finish. Didn't end up married... didn't end up moving home... actually life if much better this way I think. I was able to really focus on my thesis, I'm in a great new relationship a million times better than the last one, and I have a job here that is possibly going to lead to a better one in the near future. So, it's all good. Funny how things work out!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Jun 2nd 2008, 6:01 pm

Hey Sandee! good to see you again! Congrats on finally finishing your degree, sometimes time is the best option. I'm glad that things are working out for you now, even though it's different than what you thought. are you still doing music?

I wonder if Jody Barsh went back to school or is still teaching.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jun 4th 2008, 3:45 am

Ha! I'm still teaching. I'm in my classroom right now catching up on grading (and, at this moment procrastinating), just this week and finals to go! Still planning on the library thing, and still struggling with the same concerns. I'm freaking myself out on the personal statement thing. It's nice to see you guys! Kristen I'm glad things are going so well. Congratulations on the masters, and the possible new job, what an achievement!