Masters Degree

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
starbug
Lifehead

Masters Degree

Post by starbug » Aug 10th 2004, 11:18 am

OK, so I'm feeling a little behind on the post count (I'm going to get into the debates in 'Show' but it's going to have to be tomorrow........) so I thought I'd ask you all to keep your fingers crossed for me.

I've just applied to do an MA in Human Rights. Part time, which will mean cutting my hours (and my pay) down to 4 days a week and working like a dog during evenings and weekends to keep up. It's something I've wanted to do for ages, and now seemed like the best time. No kids, little actual responsibility, and I work for a Uni, who quite like the PC-points scored by giving their employees the opportunity to become more educated.

Eventually, after 2 years, I should be more on the road to doing a job I actually want, rather than one that lost its appeal about a year ago.

The application is in, and now all I have to do is wait and see whether I'm accepted.... :turn-l:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Aug 10th 2004, 11:21 am

Good luck starbug! It's good that you are doing this now, like you said, with no real responsibilities like kids, etc. If you would have waited you would never get around to it since life always gets in the way.

Hope you get accepted and eventually get out of the job you don't want. :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 10th 2004, 4:09 pm

I agree - do it now!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 10th 2004, 6:05 pm

Good luck and consider all my fingers and toes crossed for you!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 10th 2004, 9:21 pm

That great, good luck! What kind of job is it that you will be on the road to? It sounds hectic, you will definitely need that new computer. When do you expect to hear back from admissions?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 11th 2004, 4:35 am

Thanks guys :)

Admissions could be anything up to 6 weeks. I've had the robot-produced acknowledgement of my application, which told me what I already knew since I hand-delivered the form.

I have to get one further academic reference (the reference-giver is away on hols and back next week) but I submitted without it after clearing it with the department I'll actually be studying in.

I'm planning on working in human rights public policy somehow; either for an NGO (non-governmental organisation - like a lobbyist/monitoring organisation I suppose) or for any one of a number of official bodies within either local or central government who need advice on human rights being entrenched in society in a sensible way ie not just a matter of being overly PC but actually finding measures that hold up theoretically and practically. Much of the course is about policy formulation, as well as the substantive individual rights and the sort of generic human rights political theory. There's quite a hefty international slant to it too.

I did some HR studies at undergrad but it was very legal (although this course will build on that, it's not the main focus), which just served to whet the appetite really.

I really hope I get in. I'm not quite sure of a realistic way into the field otherwise. Most applicants for those jobs at least have a masters, and probably oodles of experience too.

grim4746
Krakow

Post by grim4746 » Aug 11th 2004, 8:34 am

That sounds amazing starbug! I don't know you well but from what I've read I think you will flourish in such a work environment. That sort of work has a huge appeal to me. I was about to go into a rant about NGOs and how valuable they are and that they are under attack by governments claiming to be democratic but who don't like to see the people trying to exercise power and influence outside of the ballot booth (or inside in some cases) but it became a little too specific and political so I'll just say hurray for NGOs and the sensible, compassionate people involved or in this case striving to be involved in them (though boourns to those involved for the sole purpose of forcing their own special interests which benefit only their own group, onto society as a whole).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 11th 2004, 3:45 pm

Wow, six weeks is a pretty fast turnaround! Here in the States, a lot of programs require your application be submitted by December in order to be considered for the fall term, and they have until April/May to notify you whether you have been accepted or not. That's a long time to be sitting on pins and needles! Six weeks is just long enough for the nervousness to begin to wear off before you start obsessively checking the mailbox :mrgreen:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 12th 2004, 4:30 am

Yeah, it struck me as fast too. I think it's because it's a masters, and there isn't really an application deadline as such so they tend to filter in gradually so they're easier to get through for the admissions.

For undergrad, there's a national application system, and it takes forever. I rember having to write the form almost a year before I went off to Uni.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Aug 12th 2004, 11:03 am

You go Starbug, get your learn on! :D

(Sorry for the delay, I was unplugged for a while.)
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 12th 2004, 12:31 pm

Good Luck Starbug.

As long as you have plenty of caffeine handy you should do well.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 12th 2004, 3:49 pm

UC Berkeley doesn't offer many master's programs - almost all of the graduate programs are for PhDs. Just as an example, the neuroscience graduate program accepted less than 20 people last year (I don't remember the exact numbers off my head), but all the application/paperwork crap is due mid-December, which is a only few weeks later than the undergrad deadline (end of November). Sounds like your school makes it much more convenient for everyone!

:mrgreen:

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 15th 2004, 12:02 am

OHH! I am so EXCITED for you STARBUG!!! Nothing makes me happier than the thought of going back to school! I wish you all the luck with admissions!!
UC Berkeley doesn't offer many master's programs - almost all of the graduate programs are for PhDs.
Yeah, for most of the graduate degrees in the UC system (the only colleges I'm really familiar with) you apply for the PHD program, and then if you only want your masters you drop out at that point. I have my masters in Education, M.Ed., but am just waiting until I can go back for my MA in English
... or Comp Lit, or Ethinc/Gender studies, or film, or ... Basically I just want to keep collecting degrees!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 3rd 2004, 11:35 am

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! I got in!! I'm sooooo happy :n00b: :sunshine:

Induction is the week beginning 27th Sept, and teaching starts from 4th Oct, so I've got a bit to do before then. Like finally buy that laptop I want, get a broadband wireless connection to my house, go part time at work, and start learning again!

It's going to mean big changes but I'm sure it will be fine. And since I work for a uni, they pay half the fees. My boss is chucking £1000 in my direction and allowing me to go part time. Which, considering the course has nothing to do with my job, is pretty generous.

:D :D :D :D

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 3rd 2004, 11:45 am

wow Starbug, that sounds like a great deal!! congrats!! and have fun becoming a student again. :go: