Severe Weather

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 8th 2006, 1:16 pm

I'm so jealous!

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Nov 8th 2006, 1:28 pm

It snowed here 3 weeks ago. I got back in town just as the snow really started to stick. I was in my car with summer tires on, made it to my friends house and when I left there was about an inch coating everything. So of course I on the way home I had to stop in the Albertsons parking lot and unleash a few broadies to celebrate. Thank god for quattro!

Then yesterday it was 70, and we had to cancel all the hockey at the rink because there were puddles on the ice even with the refigeration on full blast. So I don't know what's coming next, it's raining today, we're driving 11 hours to Denver this weekend, so here's to hoping it doesn't storm.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 8th 2006, 5:13 pm

sunny and 80 today here in KC! Too bad I have to do homework the rest of the day. boo.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 9th 2006, 4:23 am

Well, today seemed pretty severe. But I'm a weather wimp, so I doubt it's that bad in reality.

It's springtime here in Kiwi-land, though you wouldn't know it. Today it has hovered between around 4 degrees (celcius) and about 9 degrees. It hailed, and there was some sleet. For once, the wind wasn't too bad, but my god I am freezing.

Kiwis don't believe in central heating (or, apparently, insulation), and because it's 'summer' none of the stores have any electric or oil convection heaters for sale. Our shipping container hasn't arrived yet, so the one solitary fan heater we have in there is notable by its absence. Eventually Mr. S, after two days of looking in stores and searching the web, found one in a shop after work today, so we have some heat at least, but it is nowhere near enough to heat the open plan living area we now have. You basically have to stand over the heater to feel any sort of direct warmth.

The cause of the cold weather is a 'Southerly' wind, meaning it comes from the south. What's south? Antarctica! It's kind of exciting knowing that, for some reason.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Jan 16th 2007, 2:14 pm

Weirdest weekend ever. Anyone else effected by the winter storm across the midwest?

On Friday last week, classes were cancelled at 1pm so everyone could get home safely. There was a severe ice storm moving in, expected to last all weekend. HOWEVER, the campus was open on Saturday and Sunday, even though it was really really bad weather out there. Monday of course was MLKjr Day, so no school anyway (better weather Monday - just cold and a little snow, but no more ice/sleet!).

Today it is beautiful outside - sunny, pretty much all the ice is gone from the streets (not sidewalks, though), 20s. But CLASSES WERE CANCELLED again today. WTF???? So weird. I walked down to campus before I knew school was closed. At least I got some exercise and fresh air after three days holed up inside. I checked out my car, and there is a solid inch of ice coating it entirely. I was able to jimmy the passenger door open, move to the driver side and start the car, so that's good. But it took forever to chip the ice away for a 4 square inch area on one of the windows, so I give up. I guess it'll be a few days before I drive anywhere!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Apr 6th 2007, 12:12 pm

so I was all proud of myself for making it through my first new york winter. in the last couple of weeks, the weather has gradually been getting warmer, even up to the 60s a few times. the city has been slowly waking up as well, with everyone getting spring fever. and then bam, out of nowhere, it got ridiculously cold again. and yesterday it actually snowed for a little bit. snow. in. april!! I just can't believe it. I'm officially griping that I'm tired of the cold weather. it's wearing me out, man!

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Apr 24th 2007, 11:05 pm

I don't think I could do it Emmie. 60 is cold for me!!! Congrats for making it through! Not to sound totally regionally ignorant, but did it snow where you used to live, or is the snow totally new?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 25th 2007, 11:59 am

Wow, it been warming up to 60's here lately. Everyone has their windows rolled down. Shorts and flip flops are showing up. People are out washing their cars.

Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Apr 25th 2007, 9:36 pm

It's definitely warming up here in Florida but it's not too bad yet. It gets so bloody hot and humid here. I'm ready to move somewhere else! Plus it's almost time for hurricane season.
RM

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Apr 26th 2007, 5:47 am

We're having the warmest April since 1901 here in Germany. It hasn't rained for 4 weeks now where I live and it's just beautiful every day: 25-29° Celsius (77-86°F) and sunshine the whole day. We completely skipped spring and went directly to summer. It feels like June or July.

Ah, the joy of the global warming... :shock:

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Apr 28th 2007, 4:32 pm

Jody: no, I'm originally from Alabama, so I'm not used to the snow at all. it's in the 70s this weekend!! it's so exciting! people eating on patios at restaurants, and going to the botanical gardens today was awesome! warmth is my comfort zone, I'm so glad that winter is over!!!!! :multi:

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 30th 2007, 7:03 pm

Summer really gets here for only 3 months, and it never feels like it's staying. Just about the time it's getting hot at night and you can't sleep the days start getting shorter and the nights get cooler. It's still a bit cool the begining of July and by the last weeks of August it's started to cool off again. I think the short season makes you really appreciate it. In July and August I spend almost every weekend at the lake and I refuse to schedule anything else. You make sure you take advantage when you have the chance, because it's a long winter.

I've always imagined that in warmer areas the summer seems to stay more constant from June through September, but I really don't know. This is, and probably always will be home.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » May 14th 2007, 6:18 pm

Except for two scorching days early last week, it's been pretty mild where I live and work by the beach, but LA has been HOT = fires. Griffith Park (Location of LA Zoo, the observatory (location for Rebel Without a Cause), the Greek Theater, and beautiful and precious urban wilderness) has been burning, and Catalina Island -- my absolute favorite place -- has also been ablaze. Upsetting.

On a more positive note, the warm days have been leading to a lot more time swimming laps, and lots of hours gardening. Hydrangeas, gardenias, foxgloves and vegetables -- yea! (Off topic: a skunk sprayed outside my open window last night, and now my whole house, as it is very small, reeks. So I didn't know this, but skunk scent changes -- the initial marijuana-esque scent passes and morphs into something much worse. I keep thinking of The Grapes of Wrath when they had to burn the feather beds to rid the house of the skunk odor -- I'm a big fan of my down comforter and do not want to have to burn it! :| )
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 14th 2007, 9:36 pm

The skies around Tampa have been filled with smoke from wildfires in surrounding counties and all the way from south Georgia. Outside and inside smells of burning leaves. There hasn't been enough rain to wash away the smoke. People with breathing problems are encouraged to stay inside.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 15th 2007, 6:01 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:(Off topic: a skunk sprayed outside my open window last night, and now my whole house, as it is very small, reeks. So I didn't know this, but skunk scent changes -- the initial marijuana-esque scent passes and morphs into something much worse. I keep thinking of The Grapes of Wrath when they had to burn the feather beds to rid the house of the skunk odor -- I'm a big fan of my down comforter and do not want to have to burn it! :| )
At least once a year we get a heinous amount of skunk stench due, usually due to one of the baby animals trying to make friends with a skunk. Sadly, I am familiar with the overwhelming skunk scent. A few times it's been so bad that I had a massive headache combined with an urge to vomit. When it's really strong, it's like a punch in the face and I end up not being able to sleep. Ugh.

A few summers ago when I had the misfortune of having two really bad skunk sprays within a week, I bought a bunch of mint candles that I keep for special occasions like skunk spray. It doesn't completely rid our house of the smell, but it does help more than other candles or room sprays.

P.S. JODY! I feel like a sixth grader seeing a friend after summer vacation. I want to tackle you and squeal!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?