Severe Weather

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Mar 13th 2006, 12:36 am

Hey all,

Back in January we had some really torrential rains in Northern California. I finally have some pics here:

http://www.lanceland.net/California_SCWinter.htm

This past weekend we actually got snow in Santa Cruz. The main highway connecting Santa Cruz to San Jose (Highway 17) was closed down due to ice and snow. So some more pics:

http://www.lanceland.net/California_SCWinterPage2.htm

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 14th 2006, 2:47 am

It's been raining almost nonstop for what seems like weeks. There is now a small lake behind our house from all the rain. My digital camera broke so I can't document the pond, but suffice to say it's so wide you can't jump across it. It hailed the other night too - crazy! Supposedly it snowed a few miles away, but I didn't drive over to see it. I was trying to keep my toes warm and dry! Yup, I was being a wuss.

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 14th 2006, 7:50 pm

Is this seriously "The Day Before Tomorrow" or something? On Sunday here in Kansas City there were several funnel clouds spotted, tornado watch ALL DAY LONG and some tornadoes spotted (thankfully for me) outside of KC. And there was tennis ball (yes, TENNIS BALL) sized hail documented north of here. Yikes! Lawrence, KS got hit pretty hard. All classes at KU were cancelled Monday.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 15th 2006, 12:37 am

Damn! That sounds scary! That makes the hail around here look like nothing!

Stay safe out there!

(Why am I so exclamatory today?!)

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 22nd 2006, 1:31 pm

to a southern girl, living in the north qualifies as severe weather! ha ha. so guys, I need some advice from people who live in cold regions. what kind of coat should I get? I know this sounds simple, but I've never really had to deal with getting a good coat. and if I'm going to spend $100+, I need to know I'll survive! ha ha

I went to Burlington coat factory the other day and was completely overwhelmed.

wool?
down filled?
leather?
suede?
angora (mmm .... so soft)

blah, help a southern girl out! :)

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Sep 22nd 2006, 1:59 pm

Well, I live in cold snowy ski town, so my advise might be a bit overkill. I’d classify leather, suede, and angora all as fashionable, but not what you want when winter really hits. Great to have in the closet, but not what you want in your first and only coat. Qualities you’re looking for are water and wind resistant (Nylon). Wool is great at this if you don’t mind wearing it, but snow will stick to it, but the water stays out. Most everyone here has a good ski/snowboard jacket that serves as their primary coat for most of the winter. A hood is a great thing to have, when you don’t have a hat, or to keep the chill off your neck on the cold windy days. Down isn’t necessary, a good fleece jacket to go underneath is more than sufficient. That’s the other thing, layer. I’ve got a fleece jacket that works great in the fall and spring, and I have ski coat that I wear in the winter, and when it gets really cold, I just wear both. Also you don’t have to pay a ton of money for one, Columbia is a good example of cheap coats that work fine for everyday use (say $60-$75). That’s what mine is, and I have Solstice jacket for skiing, but I don’t need something that serious to walk from my car to the super market. If you find a coat you like, check Ebay for it, you can get some great buys that way. Bottom line, it’s clothing, if you don’t feel good in it, you won’t wear it.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 2nd 2006, 10:00 pm

emmie wrote:to a southern girl, living in the north qualifies as severe weather! ha ha. so guys, I need some advice from people who live in cold regions. what kind of coat should I get? I know this sounds simple, but I've never really had to deal with getting a good coat. and if I'm going to spend $100+, I need to know I'll survive! ha ha

I went to Burlington coat factory the other day and was completely overwhelmed.

wool?
down filled?
leather?
suede?
angora (mmm .... so soft)

blah, help a southern girl out! :)
Layers, always go with layers. Especially if you get below freezing with windchill thrown in for good measure. A good coat, a sweater (possibly hodded) and at least one shirt or blouse. Cuts down on the icy winds that the North can hit you with. Worked a job that involved changing letters on outside sign and layers are what kept me from getting frostbite.

And mitttens (if you can find them, I recommend outdoor/ski places) are better than gloves for keeping your hands warm

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 3rd 2006, 2:14 am

Layers are definitely a must. Finding a good scarf, hat, and gloves really make a difference. I have some nice leather gloves that are lined with Thinsulate. Granted, it's not as cold in California, but even though they are ten years old and pretty beat up, they still keep my fingers warm.

Scarves make a HUGE difference in keeping you warm. I always get soft ones because I never know what I will be wearing it with. If it touches my skin on the back of my neck or when I'm wearing a v-necked sweater, I don't want to keep reaching inside my coat because my scarf is scratching my skin. Sometimes when I'm cold at work, I just put in a scarf and I feel a lot warmer. There is a saying that if you keep the wind off your neck, you will not get sick. Scarves, baby! When you choose a scarf, think about how you're going to wear it and how long your coat will be. It's always awkward to have the ends of your scarf hanging out of the bottom of your coat.

When you look for a hat, get one that covers at least the top of your ears. As important as it is to keep the top of your head warm, I find that my ears get cold and start to hurt. If you're going to get a hat, you might as well get one that will do double duty and keep both your ears and head warm!

As for the jacket or coat itself, you definitely want something that is going to let the water bead up and slide off rather than getting absorbed into the fabric. I totally agree with Nothingman - if you don't like the way it looks and that keeps you from wearing it, then your coat is a total waste. Make sure you like the way it looks on you with different pants/shoes combinations. If you get a coat that you think only goes with certain shoes or pants (dressier versus more casual), you will be hesitant to wear it with that portion of your wardrobe.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Oct 5th 2006, 6:04 pm

I forgot to recomend wool gloves. I'll agree mittens are warmer, you can go with wool mittens, or the fingerless gloves where the mitten foldes over your finger tips. You don't want to go skiing in them, but for driving and everyday activity they are great. Wicks moisture away from the skin, rarely do they ever get wet enough where they won't be dry the next day, and they are cheap and warm.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 5th 2006, 7:08 pm

I read ages ago that you should never wear the same shoes two days in a row because you need to give them about a day to dry out (under normal circumstances, not just when it's wet and rainy). When it gets cold, I make sure to rotate my hats and scarves so that they have time to air out. I try to remember not to leave my gloves crumpled up in the pockets of my jackets, but it happens a lot.

:lol:

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 5th 2006, 11:46 pm

I'm pretty wimpy when it comes to even mild weather, I LOVE my wind proof fleece jacket from Land's End. My dad is a really big fan of utility clothing, and I grew up with a lot of REI, Patagonia, and Lands End coats and fleeces (that was before Old Navy made fleeces cool). Good luck facing that weather Emmie! I'm going to be facing my own version of cold weather pretty soon, as my new apartment has those irritating horizontal slatted windows (what are those called?) and they TOTALLY do not shut well -- my curtains are always billowing, I'm guessing it might get chilly.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Oct 8th 2006, 11:10 pm

thanks for all the advice from everyone!! I'm personally leaning towards getting a wool coat. that just seems like something that I could wear in any occasion, formal or not. I already have a scarf and hat (though I loathe wearing hats, I'll make an exception for cold weather!).

it's funny that you mention mittens, Nothingman. I had always thought that they were for children! ha ha. but definitely something worth looking into. this whole northern thing is going to be a big adjustment. I'm scared but excited. I've literally lived in the south all of my life!

I wonder how life functions here with snow? in Bama, everything basically gets shut down til it melts or the roads are cleared. I'm guessing that's not the way here. guess I'll have to get boots or galoshes too. sheesh!! :roll:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 9th 2006, 2:13 am

Life in New York doesn't stop for something as trivial as snow!

:jumplaugh:

(in other words, yes, get some boots so you can navigate the slippery, slushy, snowy, icy streets!)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Oct 10th 2006, 12:29 pm

emmie wrote:thanks for all the advice from everyone!! I'm personally leaning towards getting a wool coat. that just seems like something that I could wear in any occasion, formal or not. I already have a scarf and hat (though I loathe wearing hats, I'll make an exception for cold weather!).

it's funny that you mention mittens, Nothingman. I had always thought that they were for children! ha ha. but definitely something worth looking into. this whole northern thing is going to be a big adjustment. I'm scared but excited. I've literally lived in the south all of my life!

I wonder how life functions here with snow? in Bama, everything basically gets shut down til it melts or the roads are cleared. I'm guessing that's not the way here. guess I'll have to get boots or galoshes too. sheesh!! :roll:
Emmie,

You will do fine. Yes boots are definate must.

My understanding is that places like New York, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo just take snow in stride. Takes a TON of snow falling quickly to shut down those cities.

The other cool thing you will notice is how much more you will appreciate Spring when it arrives. The seasons have a definate and definative contrast in the North.

Enjoy the difference.

:D

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 8th 2006, 11:52 am

I've certainly been enjoying this 90' weather we've been having this week (I've had a couple of barbeques etc.), but it's hard to go to work, much less get ready for the winter holidays when it feels like July or August. I can't complain too much though, since the longer the rain stays away, the longer I have to finally put away all those moving boxes I still haven't unpacked that are sitting out in my garage, which I'm fairly certain is going to flood a little when the real rain starts falling. Anybody have snow yet?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !