Severe Weather

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 23rd 2005, 9:28 pm

Greetings from a very dry El Paso.

My family was coming to town. My dad was flying in from Houston yesterday. He was in line for 15 hours.

Appears that half the TSA security guys failed to show up and many of the pilot couldn't make it is so they were canceling flights in mass.

Fortunately my dad made it here late last night.

Craziness.

-LanceMan

season
Liberty High Student

Post by season » Sep 24th 2005, 5:06 am

I'm glad your dad is safe and well. Are there more of your family that lives there?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 17th 2005, 5:55 am

OK today, it is officially COLD for the first time this year. I had to get out my big coat that looks like a duvet... it's cold, but clear and crisp, which i like.

Apparently this year in the UK we are in for a very cold winter indeed;

Coldest winter for decade could spark energy crisis
By Angela Jameson, Industrial Correspondent , and David Rose

THE Government has summoned industrialists and generating companies to an emergency meeting next month amid fears of an energy crisis if Britain suffers a harsh winter.
Long-distance forecasters are predicting that the country is facing its coldest weather for a decade, putting lives at risk and forcing businesses to lay off workers.
The CBI said that there were only 11 days’ gas held in reserve. In comparison, other European countries keep an average of 55 days in reserve. The Met Office has already put the energy industry, the NHS and the Government on high alert. Now there are fears that Britain could run out of fuel.
Sir Digby Jones, the Director-General of the CBI, said: “If we have a cold winter, we are going to throw the switch; businesses will shut down.”
The National Grid has identified emergency measures to ensure that power is maintained to homeowners. Under the plans, manufacturers who use large amounts of gas for industrial processes would be required to shut down factories on very cold days.
Britain has not had a particularly cold winter for ten years, but some experts believe that temperatures over the coming months could plummet as low as the winters of the 1970s.
Paul Simons, The Times weatherman, said that the shift in temperature was influenced by a phenomonon known as North Atlantic Oscillation, or NAO, influenced by a lowpressure system over Iceland and high pressure over the warm Azores islands in the sub-tropical Atlantic. When the Icelandic pressure rises and the Azores pressure dips, Britain catches blasts of bitterly cold air.
He said: “In the 1940s the NAO turned negative and brought some of the coldest European winters of the 20th century, including the bitter freezes that helped to defeat Hitler’s invasion of Russia. Another bout of negative NAOs in the 1960s included the worst winter for more than 200 years, when homes were buried under snow and ice floes drifted in the English Channel.
“The Met Office is forecasting a negative NAO this winter. Although they cannot tell how severe the weather will be, the past ten winters had such ridiculously mild weather that even an average British winter will come as a rude shock.”
Last week Ofgem and National Grid Transco gave warning that gas supplies were at their lowest for ten years. The energy market regulator said that large industrial users and gas-fired power stations would be switched off in the event of a severe winter. Gas is used to fuel around two fifths of the country’s power stations.
Malcolm Wicks, the Energy Minister, said: “It’s not about switching off the domestic customers but there could be problems for industry.”
The National Grid has not imposed compulsory measures to conserve power supplies since the blackouts caused by the miners’ strikes during the 1970s.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Nov 17th 2005, 8:02 am

starbug wrote:OK today, it is officially COLD for the first time this year.
Yeah, here too. The temperature was for the first time below 0°C when I woke up this morning.
Paul Simons, The Times weatherman, said that the shift in temperature was influenced by a phenomonon known as North Atlantic Oscillation
Interesting. I never heard about that. Some german weather proverbs also claim that if there's a warm and dry October, we get a very cold January. And we had quite a warm October this year. At least my recent purchase of new (fricking expensive) winter tires for my car would pay off :)

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Nov 17th 2005, 4:33 pm

that's really funny, because today was the first cold day here too. literally yesterday it was 80 and I was getting a sunburn just talking to my friends outside of class. and then today it was just 60 and I was wearing a sweater and scarf. and since I abhor cold of any kind, I'm not a happy camper. and worse, it's colder where my parents live. *sigh*

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 17th 2005, 8:42 pm

Only 60!?!? Here it has been in the 30-40 range. I can't wait until it gets nice and cold and starts snowing! It snowed here in KC a little bit the other day, but it didn't stick on the ground - it was more mixed in with rain, which was nasty. Although I did hear that it snowed up in Wisconsin where I'm from, so hopefully when I go up there for Thanksgiving next week it'll still be on the ground!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

JOEYEVANS
Tino

It's Cold Outside!!

Post by JOEYEVANS » Nov 18th 2005, 7:02 am

Hello,

Well here in Western New York (Near Buffalo) it is freezing out!!! :x

It snowed all day yesterday and it seems that winter has set itself in once again for another year.

Blah!

The older I get....the more I dislike the cold.

I now have the spring to look forward to and I am already counting the days.

JOEY
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 18th 2005, 3:17 pm

It's been unseasonably warm lately - we're talking 75 all week! It's been very Santa Ana - dry and windy. I'm enjoying the fact that I was able to bust out the tank top in November though because I know it will be cold soon.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Nov 24th 2005, 12:41 am

candygirl wrote:It's been unseasonably warm lately - we're talking 75 all week! It's been very Santa Ana - dry and windy. I'm enjoying the fact that I was able to bust out the tank top in November though because I know it will be cold soon.
Been very nice here: 40s at night, 60s and 70s during the day.

I do feel for all of you getting hit by winter weather.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Nov 29th 2005, 1:06 am

Just last week I was thinking about how ridiculous it was to be sitting outside in a halter top and knitting scarves (no joke!) but it turned cold this weekend and then started raining today. We had to turn on the heater a few nights ago, which marks our Official Beginning of Winter.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 29th 2005, 4:52 am

Impressive scarves! I'm jealous of the weather in California. Although, I do really like getting wrapped up warm and torturing myself with a walk in the cold and drizzle, so I can tramp into a pub and have a half of real ale and some scampi fries! It's all worth it, just for that :D

Mr. S and I were away this weekend in the Peak District (150 miles north of London) for a relaxing break, and it was -1C. The car wouldn't start, which was fun... but now they are saying it is meant to warm up towards the end of the week. My parents were trapped in this - it took them 14 hours to get from Taunton to Falmouth, which I think is around 100 miles.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 29th 2005, 1:28 pm

I was up in Wisconsin last weekend for Thanksgiving and it was cold - about 11F for the highs. I got back to KC just in time for a severe thunder/hail storm, and there was a tornado watch all over the path I just finished driving. Crazy! But today it is crisp and beautiful out - sunny! Last night it snowed a little, which I loved.

starbug - glad to hear your parents made it through at least, but how miserable!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 4th 2005, 9:02 pm

Ooh, scampi fries sound yummy. The only scampi I'm familiar with is shrimp, so are scampi fries doused in butter or topped with shrimp?

:mrgreen:

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 5th 2005, 5:13 am

candygirl wrote: are scampi fries doused in butter or topped with shrimp?

:mrgreen:
If only this were the case... now I'm imagining shrimp, some kind of butter garlic sauce, and a wadge of chips. Mmmmmm. :jumplaugh:
That would probably increase their potent healthy qualities by a factor of 100.

You can see Scampi Fries here although I appreciate the outside of the packet doesn't give much away.
They are mainly made of a variety of chemicals, I think, and taste roughly of fish/crab, salt, vinegar and something indescribable that leaves a strange coating on the roof of your mouth. Basically, they look like little orange pillows, but crunchy, and are hollow inside. They should probably be banned, but are a staple in British pubs. I love them! The rest of the family munches on pork scratchings but since I prefer my pub snacks chemically synthesized and with less squooshy fat, skin and (ugh look away now if you're squeamish but I have witnessed it myself) hair, I opt for the Scampi Fries.

Having said that, you can get something called 'scampi and chips' as an actual food dish that comes on a plate, also in pubs. But they are little bits of (I'm quite sure it's not shrimp) some kind of fish (monkfish?) coated in breadcrumbs and deepfried, served with chips (fries) and usually some peas and tartare sauce or something. I also like this very much, but I was referring to the snack food originally :)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 6th 2005, 1:21 am

Mmmmm, that's what I was picturing too! Buttery scampi and some fries (chips) doused in garlicky butter sauce! Your scampi chips still sound pretty good, chemicals and all! Here in the U.S., there are shrimp chips which are supposed to taste like shrimp. I love shrimp and I love shrimp chips, but I think they are very different tastes.

I found an online recipe for making homemade shrimp chips, but I've never tried it. I'm happy buying them at the store!