Severe Weather

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Severe Weather

Post by lance » May 27th 2004, 8:48 pm

For those of you not familar with North American Springs, now is the time of the tornado.

As I type Cincinnati is being rocked by Thunderstorms. Southeastern Indiana reports funnel clouds. The local Children's hospital is without power. 5300 local residents are currently without power in several local communities.

Since 7:30 pm EDT the local weatherman has been in a battle with ABC. He keeps trying to update the situation and GM commericals keep trying to overide him. Very surreal.

So far I have not seen any rain, thunder or anything. Things have become very, very dark.

Anybody else have any tornado or severe weather stories? Please share.

-LanceMan

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » May 28th 2004, 11:29 am

Fortunantly I don't have any tornado stories, but my flight out of Chicago last week got messed up due to a bad storm. It was really humid and wanted to rain all week, we were pleading for mother nature to just get it over with. Of course she did as we were trying to leave. Two different flights, a new airline, a canceled flight, countless torn up tickets, and two hours late I finally arrived back home in the mountains where I belong.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

weather

Post by lance » Aug 21st 2004, 3:54 pm

Here in Vegas people talk about summers like people back east talk about winters.

I had just finished an orientation session and I was standing outside with a couple of my co workers.

Lance: "Man, its hot what is it 109?"

Co-worker 1: "More like a 112 but hey do remember last summer?"

Co-worker 2: "Oh yes, we got up to a 125. This summer has actually been pretty mild."

This past week Vegas dropped down to the upper 90s. One of my co-workers said that she felt it was getting "quite chilly".

:D

-LanceMan

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Aug 21st 2004, 7:16 pm

we get a lot of tornadoes here in Alabama. it's scariest when it's quiet and there's no rain, just a pitch black sky in the middle of the day. the calm before the storm. that's when you know it's coming. ironically, I had a dream about a tornado last night. scary stuff!

I was in San Francisco last week and chatting with a local. it was unusually warm this day, like 80 something because the wind was mild. he asked where I was from and I told him Alabama. he asked if it got as warm down there. I laughed. in the summer it's 100% humidity and feels like 110. there is no wind, hardly a breeze. so yeah, 80 would be a welcome cold front. perception is a funny thing, huh?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 22nd 2004, 4:39 pm

emmie wrote: perception is a funny thing, huh?
Most definately.

-LanceMan

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 22nd 2004, 7:05 pm

Yes, I definitely take my beach climate for granted. I have never really lived further than six blocks from the beach, and I basically go into shock when I have to go somewhere with actual whether. A few weeks back, I spent a weekend with my friend who lives in Pasadena, I thought I was going to die of heat stroke. There's nothing like an ocean breeze.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 22nd 2004, 9:01 pm

Hahaha, when some friends from Colorado visited me in Los Angeles, they experienced some weather shock. One of the guys was sitting in my room, his face turning pink, breathing hard. I said, "Are you okay?" He said, "It's just a little warm in here. And humid." I said, "Are you crazy? It's MARCH and it's so cold that I had to close the windows!"

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 22nd 2004, 10:26 pm

The first time I can remember a hailstorm I was pretty young, maybe 7,8,9, something like that. I was playing (read: torturing :twisted: ) the ants in our front yard when I heard a small noise beside me. I saw something small hit the ground, and I thought 'Hey, some kid is throwing rocks at me!'. But of course no one was around, and these little stones kept popping around me every few seconds. I figured it out just in time, and ran inside before the full force of the storm hit. Fortunately the hailstones didn't get much bigger than pebble size, so even if I had been hit they probably wouldn't have seriously hurt me, though they did scare the bejesus out of me!

:o
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 22nd 2004, 10:30 pm

Haha, I posted my little ant confession in the shoutbox before reading your post. It's serendipity that we're all about ants tonight.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 22nd 2004, 10:56 pm

candygirl wrote:Haha, I posted my little ant confession in the shoutbox before reading your post. It's serendipity that we're all about ants tonight.

Okay, that is the weirdest thing ever!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 22nd 2004, 11:06 pm

Especially since Nostradamus and I seem to share a love of torturing/killing them.

:mrgreen:

I remember in seventh grade, this guy I know was just sitting watching the ants in his driveway. I asked, very logically, "Why don't you just kill them?" He gave me some long hippie answer about nature and stuff. When we were in college, he called me one day to complain about having to kill all the ants that had invaded his apartment. I reminded him of the zen/love the ants conversation we'd had during puberty, and he said, "Gawd, what was I thinking back then?!"

:lol:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 22nd 2004, 11:21 pm

candygirl wrote:I asked, very logically, "Why don't you just kill them?" He gave me some long hippie answer about nature and stuff.
Haha! Where's Eric Cartman when you need him?

:P

Believe it or not though, the biggest things I have ever personally terminated were a couple of Praying Mantises, and then only because they had been accidentally injured and I wanted to put them out of their misery before the scavengers arrived.

:(
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 22nd 2004, 11:23 pm

I do love me some Cartman. "Stupid hippies!"

:mrgreen:

He and Beavis express my id very succinctly.

I think the biggest things I have ever intentionally killed were the huge honking spiders that seem to appear almost daily. I have killed plants, but those were all accidents or ineptitude.

:hammer1:

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 22nd 2004, 11:29 pm

candygirl wrote:I think the biggest things I have ever intentionally killed were the huge honking spiders that seem to appear almost daily. I have killed plants, but those were all accidents or ineptitude.

:hammer1:
Oh, well if you're going to get all Birkenstock-clad super-hippy on me, then yeah, I've cut down trees, sometimes just to watch them die...

:wink:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 22nd 2004, 11:46 pm

I am a habitual plant killer :oops: it's depressing and embarrassing. I seem to remember killing snails when I was very young. The crunching was satisfying at the time, but I hate to think of it now. It's funny, it seems like generally we're more sensitive, or at least less hardened and cynical, in our youth, but we sure did like killing small bugs and insects back then. That killing urge seems to fade as we mature... Maybe it's the post-Charlotte's Wed mentality.