Severe Weather

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 1st 2005, 10:33 am

I read that Hurricane Katrina is the worst natural disaster to ever happen in the United States. It will take years to rebuild New Orleans, if they even can. I'm even wondering about my aunt & uncle + their 2 kids in Montgomery, AL - how they're doing. I also read that Katrina travelled north all the way through KY, TN, and OH, with tornados spawned and flood warnings in those states. Just horrible. I really should donate blood.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

emmie
Liberty High Graduate

Post by emmie » Sep 1st 2005, 11:49 am

I'm actually from Birmingham, AL and know quite a few people in Montgomery and Mobile. luckily, all of my friends are fine. I think Montgomery overall is okay, mostly just power outages and phone lines. the gulf and Mississippi seem to have gotten it worse. my mom said that when it reached B'ham, that the winds were still in the upper 70smph. it's amazing that the storm stayed so strong for so long. and devastating.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 1st 2005, 1:48 pm

thanks, emmie, for the info on Montgomery. Anybody know how Miami fared? I have a friend who is on his honeymoon there.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 1st 2005, 1:56 pm

It's really terrifying to see what's happening in New Orleans. They just reported on the news that they had to stop all search and rescue missions because of the violence and looting in the city. Unbelievable.

German newssite "DER SPIEGEL" has some satellite pictures of the area: http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,553 ... _3,00.html

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Sep 1st 2005, 10:02 pm

This New Orleans TV channel has 24-hour live coverage on the web... the local coverage paints a much more dire picture than even the national news. The U.S. government is just not getting the resources to where they are needed.

It is well worth a few hours of your day watching this coverage. On the first days after the hurricane, they were transmitting from a makeshift location at the transmitter. Now they are set up in a remote studio, but the coverage is still raw.

main page: http://www.wwltv.com

live coverage:
http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/ ... s=livenoad

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 2nd 2005, 3:03 am

I finally got a hold of my friend in Mississippi! She and the house are okay, but the town is a mess. There are trees that fell through houses, knocked over lamp posts, etc. and nothing is being done to clear the heavy debris, probably because most of the people have been sent to help in New Orleans. They have no power, but thankfully they do have running water and a gas stove. Since everything in the freezer was going to spoil, they invited some people over and feasted on the shrimp and salmon. They were told they might not have power for another two to three weeks, so they might as well eat up the goodies now!

The reports of violence and looting are so awful. I understand trying to get food, diapers, and other necessities, but the people who are stealing jewelry, DVDs, and big screen tvs - those are just greedy, opportunistic thieves. There is a difference between trying to survive and taking advantage of the situation. And the people shooting at the helicopters with supplies? Gah. They are the reason there are people on the streets who haven't eaten for days.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 2nd 2005, 5:01 am

candygirl wrote:I finally got a hold of my friend in Mississippi! She and the house are okay
Excellent news. As long as they are safe that's the main thing.
candygirl wrote:The reports of violence and looting are so awful. I understand trying to get food, diapers, and other necessities, but the people who are stealing jewelry, DVDs, and big screen tvs - those are just greedy, opportunistic thieves. There is a difference between trying to survive and taking advantage of the situation. And the people shooting at the helicopters with supplies? Gah. They are the reason there are people on the streets who haven't eaten for days.
It's terrible. Food, water, essential clothing etc, I can understand. But what do these people think they are going to do with a television and a dvd player in the current conditions? Are they just carrying it around with them? It's stealing, plain and simple. For once I am glad the Prez has come down hard. People do desperate things in desperate situations, but that's just ridiculous.
Shooting at rescue workers is the height of stupidity. I almost couldn't believe the reports of it when I heard... clearly the breakdown of law and order has been swift and extreme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm what went on in the Superdome sounds horrific. Can you imagine what the majority of good, honest, people went through at the hands of the renegade minority? Christ.

My brother is living in OH at the moment, and he emailed this morning to say that he couldn't believe the power of Katrina even as it passed over OH - solid sheeting rain for 48 hours apparently. I really feel for the people of the affected areas who bore the brunt of it.

Now probably isn't the time, but there are going to have to be conversations about how this could have been prevented or the human catastrophe minimised. I would also like to see some debate over the fact that there is no way this law and order crisis could have reached such heights if people didn't have ready access to firearms in the USA. Even disregarding personal firearms carried about, if everybody and their mother's uncle can loot Walmarts and arm themselves, it's no wonder it has escalated so far. I would imagine people in the UK may well behave the same way in a true disaster, but at least they wouldn't have guns. You involve a gun, and it automatically makes the situation 100 times worse.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 2nd 2005, 9:17 am

starbug wrote:For once I am glad the Prez has come down hard.
He has? Huh. I read that there aren't enough troops to help with the rescue effort. Where are all the troops then? OH WAIT... I remember where they are. :evil: I also read that the supplies aren't going where they need to go. I got the impression that the government has really dropped the ball on this relief effort.

candygirl, I'm glad to hear your friends are okay. starbug is right - that is the most important thing.

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 2nd 2005, 9:25 am

Another thing - my boyfriend thinks that New Orleans is basically ruined and it will never be able to be rebuilt. I disagree. I think that New Orleans as we knew it is gone forever, but this is an opportunity of rebirth for the city. I think that there is no way they could just let New Orleans be finished, because it's historical value to our country is too great. It will take a long time, to be sure, and maybe there is some way of raising the level of the city, so it is not below sea-level anymore. Who knows, I am not a city planner. But I think that we will have New Orleans back again. What does everyone else think?

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 2nd 2005, 10:02 pm

The awesome ladies at Go Fug Yourself have compiled a great list of organizations that are accepting donations. It is by no means comprehensive:
A Momentary Fug Break: Updated 3:14 p.m.

Thank you beyond measure to everyone who's sent us links we might otherwise never have found; there's a ton of really interesting stuff being done, from major national charities to Whole Foods supermarkets getting in on the action, to Brett Favre galvanizing his foundation to take specialized donations. Read on for a consistently updated list.

About the only thing uglier than the perfect storm of fug that blows through this site is the actual hurricane that's just wiped away towns, soaked and sullied one of the country's most unique cities, and devastated three states in such a way that these people -- these families -- don't know when life can ever resume in anything resembling a normal, familiar way.

We know you've been inundated with horrifying news images, reports, and personal stories from the Hurricane Katrina tragedy, and we also know most of you have already reached into your pocketbooks to help the people in need. But just in case anybody out there needs some direct links to Web sites through which they can contribute to relief efforts -- especially in lawless, contaminated New Orleans -- we'd like to list a few here. Especially because, due to the volume of traffic, the traditional Red Cross site might be running slowly.
For ease of use, we've recategorized these -- as best we can -- into charities and local relief, donation-matching foundations and organizations, donation-matching retailers, and retailers sending profits straight to relief organizations.

CHARITIES & LOCAL RELIEF

Network For Good -- A nonprofit organization that has a page on its site devoted to listing different types of groups to whom you can donate besides the Red Cross -- including the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (rescuing pets), Charity Hospital of New Orleans, Salvation Army, and Operation Blessing.

Storm Aid - run by Clear Channel in conjunction with the Red Cross.

Feed The Children - An international nonprofit organization.

Mercy Corps -- Formerly refugee-focused organization that now focuses on helping find long-term solutions for families living in poverty.

Hurricane Housing -- This is a housing clearinghouse trying to match people made homeless by the storm with available beds and rooms and couches located within 300-500 miles of the Gulf Coast.

Give Life -- A blood donation site that helps get quick appointments at clinics near where you live.

The Humane Society of America -- The link takes you to its disaster-relief fund.

Noah's Wish -- An animal-rescue facility, critical because so many people are being forced to leave their pets behind or make Sophie's Choices between several.

American Kennel Club - Another animal relief effort.

Brett Favre: Hot And Socially Conscious: The Green Bay Packers quarterback is a Mississippi native whose Fourward Foundation is taking donations for the victims. Click the link to find out how to contribute.

Southern Mutual Help -- Appears to be a for-profit organization that aims to help rebuild disaster-stricken rural areas.

Ronald McDonald House -- A reader tells us, "There was a Ronald McDonald House on Canal Street in New Orleans that probably will need some major help. The families staying there have children being treated for cancer and other serious illnesses at nearby hospitals. I haven't heard anything specific on the news, but it seems like both the families staying there and the building itself will need help. I don't know the URL for the Ronald McDonald House in New Orleans, but donations can be made to the national office. You can also find contact information for your local Ronald McDonald House there."

St. Vincent De Paul -- Another reader shares, "My alma mater of LSU has recently been turned into a makeshift shelter for evacuees. Our local chapter of the Red Cross is up to capacity with donations and has asked that funds be sent to the St. Vincent De Paul Dining Room. These folks are working overtime to feed the thousands of people taking refuge in the capital, and I'm sure donations would be much appreciated. Unfortunately everything must be snail-mailed, but the contact information is located online."

Food for the Astrodome - Another reader from Houston writes, "I am a volunteer in the Houston area for the displaced New Orleans evacuees being housed in the Astrodome. If you would like to donate money to provide meals to these evacuees locally, you can do so by clicking that link. If any of your readers are in the Houston area, they can also find information on how to volunteer their time serving food and providing other services at the Astrodome."

Second Red Cross link -- Yahoo! has up a site that gives straight to the Red Cross, but can handle overflow traffic the regular Red Cross site can’t. Thanks to the reader who sent this to us!

Northwest Medical Teams -- The site says, "We are... helping local church-based groups provide lodging and food for refugees; shipping emergency health supplies; dispatching mobile health vans to address public health needs; sending staff and volunteers to help medical relief efforts." A reader tells us NWT has a four-star rating from Charity Navigator.

PETsMART - The retailer is funneling funds from its usual charities to Hurricane Katrina victims. Click to investigate and donate.

DONATION-MATCHING FOUNDATIONS

The Barry Manilow Fund - The Schnozzed One's personal foundation will match donations and send all of it to the Red Cross.

The Chicago Tribune's McCormick Foundation -- This group is matching 50 percent of each dollar of donations made through their site (up to two million dollars). All donations go directly to hurricane relief organizations.

DonorsChoose.org - A reader says, "Right now they're participating in the Amazon Challenge, in which a group of charities is competing to receive the most donations until Sept. 30, because Amazon will then match those donations. DonorsChoice just sent out an e-mail this yesterday saying that all donations to the Amazon Challenge for the next week will go to Hurricane Katrina-related projects, such as a 4th-grade class that wants to replace lost school supplies for another class in the region."

DONATION-MATCHING RETAILERS

Whole Foods Market -- Apparently you can buy donation coupons at the chain's stores, and Whole Foods will apparently match these donations up to $1 million. Proceeds go to the American Red Cross. Click the link for more information. The supermarket is also implementing a job relocation plan for people who worked in its damaged locations.

Amoeba Music - One of the coolest record stores around is matching all contributions given to donation buckets in its stores.

Best Buy - Through the end of September, if you donate at the register or through the Web site, the company will match it dollar-for-dollar and send the contributions to the Red Cross.

Peet’s Coffee -- Matching dollar for dollar all contributions made.

Costco - The retailing giant is matching contributions dollar-for-dollar.

DONATE AT THE REGISTER (OR JUST BY SHOPPING THERE):

Lisa Kline - From an employee, "Starting yesterday (and we haven’t put a cap on it, just going on as long as necessary) Lisa Kline has pledged 5% of all sales -- not just profits -- from http://www.lisakline.com to the American Red Cross for hurricane relief efforts." Wawa - This convenience store, located in five states, is offering a donation program that funnels money to the Red Cross.

Office Max is apparently allowing its customers to add donation money to their total bill when they check out.

From a reader: "Bungie, a subsidiary of Microsoft and creator of the super nerdy on line X-box Halo games has made this shirt, which is being sold for $20, $15 of which goes to Red Cross."

A reader in Southern Minnesota tells us that some local branches of the Great Harvest Bread Co. are donating all of Saturday's proceeds to hurricane relief; she suggests you contact your local branch to see if they, too, are participating.

Crafters' United - An online shop created exclusively to sell donated items. All the proceeds are going to the Red Cross Hurricane Relief Fund.

- A reader says, "Knitters have pledged dozens of donations of yarn, finished knitting, and other knitting-related items to be used as prizes and auction items. As of this writing, they've already raised over $15,000. They're also accepting cash donations for the American Red Cross."

If any of our readers have links to unique organizations we haven't listed, please let us know and we'll happily update this list. Our hearts go out to everyone in that blighted region.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2005, 3:38 am

Another article:

Stars Pledge Help for Katrina Victims

By JAKE COYLE, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 2,11:21 PM ET

NEW YORK - Celebrities including
Ellen DeGeneres, Jay Leno, Master P and Dave Matthews are contributing star power to relief efforts for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

DeGeneres, a New Orleans native whose 82-year-old aunt, cousins and friends had their Gulf Coast homes destroyed, has taped an episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" dedicated to discussion of the devastation. It will air Monday, the start of the syndicated talk show's third season.

"We have a different show planned for you today because things have changed and we cannot pretend they haven't," DeGeneres tells the audience. "I can't pretend to do a normal show."

DeGeneres also plans to announce a hurricane relief fund. The show's producer, Warner Bros. Entertainment, said it would donate $500,000 and match viewers' contributions up to another $500,000.

NBC aired a heartfelt and dignified live benefit Friday night featuring some 18 celebrities, including Wynton Marsalis, Lindsay Lohan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Harry Connick Jr., Tim McGraw, Mike Myers, Hilary Swank,
Claire Danes, John Goodman and Aaron Neville. It took an unexpected turn when the outspoken rapper Kanye West launched into a tirade about the government's response to the disaster, claiming "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

NBC eventually cut away from West and host Matt Lauer noted that "emotions in this country right now are running very high." Then the entire ensemble performed "When the Saints Go Marching In."

Beginning Tuesday, Jay Leno will ask his "Tonight Show" guests to sign a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that will be put up for bid later this month on the eBay Internet auction site.

Earlier this year, the NBC late-night talk show raised $810,000 for tsunami victims in Asia by asking guests such as Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio and Dustin Hoffman to sign a Harley-Davidson cycle.

Master P, whose house in New Orleans was destroyed, has formed a foundation called Team Rescue to "save the neighborhood and rebuild our communities." The rapper was still looking Thursday for missing family members in the New Orleans area.

The Dave Matthews Band, which has played at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, announced a Sept. 12 benefit concert in Denver.

"We're just getting in line behind those people, getting in line a long way behind the Red Cross or National Guard, but we all have to do a little bit," Matthews told The Associated Press.

E! Networks announced that it would produce a public service announcement to support the American Red Cross featuring Eva Longoria, Pamela Anderson, Destiny's Child, Steve Carell, Nicole Richie, John Larroquette, Mariah Carey, Carlos Santana and Paula Abdul.

Larroquette, a New Orleans native, said Friday he would also contribute artwork to an online auction organized by actor Morgan Freeman.

"I feel quite impotent in this situation," said Larroquette. "Since I can't get down there on the ground and help ... I just want to help appeal to people to care about people in this country as we do so generously to those in trouble around the world."

Alan Jackson, Keith Urban and Alison Krauss will perform a Grand Ole Opry benefit concert in Nashville, Tenn., on Sept. 27. It will air live on cable network Great American Country.

Velvet Revolver will play a benefit concert at the Orlando, Fla., Hard Rock live concert venue. The rock band had been scheduled to perform at the Sept. 9 opening of the Hard Rock in Biloxi, Miss. — which was damaged severely in the hurricane.

Jazz will also get into the act. Marsalis, Bill Cosby, Elvis Costello and Diana Krall will perform the Higher Ground Hurricane Relief Benefit Concert for Jazz at Lincoln Center Sept. 17 in New York.

Many stars have also pledged money directly to the Red Cross.

Celine Dion and the partners of her Las Vegas show, "A New Day" — companies Concerts West/AEG Live and Dragone — pledged $1 million.

Sean "Diddy" Combs and Jay-Z jointly pledged $1 million.
Nicolas Cage, who has a home in New Orleans, also pledged $1 million.

The rappers said they felt responsible to give because many of those most affected are black.

"We are all descendants from each other's families," Diddy said. "When you hear black people say `brothers' and 'sisters,' it's really true. These are all people that I know I'm related to somehow, some way — the human race family."

Cage's publicist, Annett Wolf, said the Oscar-winning actor "wishes to help his neighbors during this most devastating time."

Hilary Duff said she will give $200,000 to the Red Cross and $50,000 to USA Harvest, which is supplying food to shelters. The 17-year-old actress-singer is encouraging fans to bring canned food donations to her concerts.

Pat Sajak, who was taping "Wheel of Fortune" in New Orleans last week before the show canceled early to get out of town, said he had donated $100,000 through the Lesley and Pat Sajak Foundation.

Some of the most visible work by celebrities will be seen on TV.

Jerry Lewis said his annual telethon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association, which begins Sunday night (check local listings), would also include appeals for donations to hurricane victims.

Chris Rock, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, Diddy, Russell Simmons, Marsalis and Master P will participate in a telethon Sept. 9 on BET.

The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Green Day, Paul McCartney, West, Brian Wilson, Sheryl Crow, Ludacris, Gretchen Wilson, Usher, Alicia Keys, John Mellencamp and Rob Thomas are set to appear on a Sept. 10 special that will air on MTV, VH1 and CMT.

"Your first instinct in a situation like this is to say, `Is there something I can do?'" Thomas told the AP.

"New Orleans underwater, it's just insane," he said.

special_k
Yearbook Team
Location: Closer to here than there, in the land between dreaming and waking...

Post by special_k » Sep 3rd 2005, 4:36 am

Kristin wrote:Another thing - my boyfriend thinks that New Orleans is basically ruined and it will never be able to be rebuilt. I disagree. I think that New Orleans as we knew it is gone forever, but this is an opportunity of rebirth for the city.
I think your boyfriend is on to something. Given that Louisiana irreparably damaged their protective wetlands with the Mississippi levee system, which only contributed to this disaster, and the fact that through the years, the city has been reported to have been sinking in inches, perhaps the smartest thing to do would be to abandon New Orleans and relocate the city elsewhere in the state? You can only blame nature for so much when humans have had such a large hand in manipulating it to their own, often poorly thought out, and greedy ends. Get everyone out and let it go.
"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong, and those are the ones that change your life."

Jessie, "Once and Again"

season
Liberty High Student

Post by season » Sep 3rd 2005, 4:51 am

Special K, that is the way I looked at it too.

Now that celebrities are contributing, how is it helping to reach those people. And is the feelings toward Bush still changing for the worst?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Sep 4th 2005, 1:52 am

Kristin wrote:
starbug wrote:For once I am glad the Prez has come down hard.
He has? Huh. I read that there aren't enough troops to help with the rescue effort. Where are all the troops then? OH WAIT... I remember where they are. :evil: I also read that the supplies aren't going where they need to go. I got the impression that the government has really dropped the ball on this relief effort.

candygirl, I'm glad to hear your friends are okay. starbug is right - that is the most important thing.
Yeah, it is the opinion of many that our "glorious" leader blew this one, badly.

Again, for the first four days the people at the convention center got nothing from the police, FEMA or the National Guard.

The only relief they received was from looters who dropped off food and water.

-LanceMan

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Sep 23rd 2005, 5:56 pm

I hope that no one here has family/friends in the path of hurricane Rita. This one looks like it will be pretty devestating, too. At least it looks like more people are taking the evacuation thing seriously, even though it's taking forever for them to get out of there. Hopefully our government learned it's lesson for this hurricane, too. We'll see.

~~Kristin~~