What did everyone get for christmas?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

What did everyone get for christmas?

Post by fnordboy » Dec 27th 2003, 5:10 am

So what did everyone here get for xmas? I will list a few of my favorites that I received:

* a can of Slurm™ with a deck of Futurama playing cards inside it
* a Sakaki-san (from Azumanga Daioh) model kit
* a Popotan model kit
* a Freddy (Nightmare on Elm Street) figure from Sideshow
* Forever Knight season 1 DVD set
* Hoshi no Koe DVD Book
* the Mr. Show book

I also bought an Evil Dead Ash in his S-Mart outfit, also from Sideshow, off of my girlfriend's cousin at Christmas.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Dec 27th 2003, 1:22 pm

THE ALIEN QUADRILOGY (though if I'd dropped any more hints, I think my family would have killed me so it was close...)

A digital TV box so we can now have more than 5 TV channels!

A jug and glass set.

more glasses (hey, we do lots of entertaining)

socks
scarf
a camera (though not digital - we're not quite there yet)

The entire season 1 of SATC

many many chocolates

a breadmaker

with the advent of marriage nearly upon me, Mr. S and I have begun receiving joint christmas presents, which means that since we both don't generally like the same stuff, most people err on the side of extreme caution with neutral gifts, hence the glasses etc.
Of course, if I had my way, I'd have a big pile of DVDs.
still, I will be marathoning the quadrilogy asap.

:D
I'm very happy.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 27th 2003, 2:53 pm

Twas a good haul this year...

On the DVD front...
Niea under Seven box set
Hulk (you're damn right I liked it. :D)
Will and Grace Season 1
Ocean's Eleven Collector's box set (it's on backorder)
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

Lesse, what else?
- A book on tape (CD actually) of Burroughs' "Princess of Mars".

- Art of "Fellowship of the Ring", "Two Towers" and "Return of the King" (the last is on backorder too). These books are gorgeous.

- A comforter and sheets, and a swanky dress shirt from my bro.

I'm a happy guy! :D

Gary

p.s. Enjoy the Aliens Quad starbug - It's great!

p.p.s. Fnordboy, only you would add links to your list of Christmas booty... showoff. :wink:

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Post by guitarchick » Dec 27th 2003, 6:49 pm

DVDs:
-Full series of the Wonder Years (off ebay, ofcourse).
-Season 2 of Dawson's Creek (I'm a sucker for that stuff...)
-Run Lola Run
-Donnie Darko

Books:
-Shopgirl
-A book about screen writing

My parents pretty much stuck to my list... but that's cool by me. :-)

Emilie

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Dec 29th 2003, 1:24 am

Lets see:

DVDs:
Sports Night box set
Finding Nemo
Animatrix
Naqoyqatsi

Books:
Diary:A Novel by Chuck Palahniuk

And a Game Boy! Yay, no more boring trips!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Dec 29th 2003, 11:03 am

I bought myself 4 new tires for my car so that I could make it home to be with my family for Christmas.

My oldest sister gave me pots and pans. Since I'm a bachelor, I can always use pots and pans.

My older sister gave me a few paperback books.

My brother gave me a coffee table book about the seasons in Japan. He lives there. The pictures are beautiful.

My mom gave me two flannel shirts, very MSCL.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 29th 2003, 11:37 pm

Aside from the usual obligatory candy, cards, and, indeed, two shirts (poly-suede, not flannel :wink: ) I made off with:
  • A 1:25 scale 2000 Chevrolet SSR Concept model

The new dvd edition of Trivial Pursuit

A sleek new fishing tackle box (I don't fish, but I do collect wargame-miniatures, and this beats the hell out of lugging my army around in several ratty old shoeboxes)

A late-arriving DS9 S3 dvd set, I think...
:D
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Dec 30th 2003, 10:38 am

My husband and I had a wonderful Christmas.

From my awesomely generous parents, we got a down comforter (which I have wanted for years!), a Kitchen Aid mixer, and a hefty gift certificate to Home Depot, which has already been put to good use (a chandelier for the dining room).

We also got picture frames, a beautiful picture of my siblings and I at my brother's wedding, Christmas ornaments, and a memory board.

We got a wet/dry vac from my in-laws, and a bunch of weird little gifts. The funniest gift received was a box of paper clips to my husband from his parents. The best part was that it was half of an industrial pack. I think his mom just likes wrapping things up. But, it's the thought that counts. We did have a good laugh over that one. :lol:

What a great Christmas. I have so much to be thankful for.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 1st 2004, 12:55 am

guitarchick wrote:Full series of the Wonder Years (off ebay, ofcourse).
Great present! I am jealous. Understand that I do not know the whole story behind the Wonder Years DVDs -- I have heard that they are not made and that people have to petition to have them made (a nightmare I am not looking forward to participating in again, although I do love my MSCL DVDs), but I have seen them (TWY) on Ebay. Basically I'm asking, how's the quality of these, what's their story, are they worth buying? Anyway, enjoy your presents! and happy New Year to all! (I'm still SICK = no New Years partying for me tonight :(
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jan 1st 2004, 3:30 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:Understand that I do not know the whole story behind the Wonder Years DVDs -- I have heard that they are not made and that people have to petition to have them made
Quick explanation AFAIK is that it is a legal nightmare because of all the music rights...I am sure there are more problems too.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jan 2nd 2004, 11:34 am

I gave my girlfriend wonder years episodes for christmas, or rather I revieled my collection to her. I've been downloading them for the past 6 months. I've got 97 or the 115 episodes and the A&E TVography, hopefully I'll be able to get them all eventually. I'm not an advocate of downloading shows or movies, but since they aren't out on DVD, I'm not waiting. I'll gladly buy them if they ever get the music rights done, but untill them I'll watch my grainy free versions.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

Post by guitarchick » Jan 2nd 2004, 11:44 am

Basically I'm asking, how's the quality of these, what's their story, are they worth buying?
The quality is pretty high considering they were made by taping the episodes off tv. The guy I bought them from put them all onto his computer and edited out the commercials. I got all 7 dvds for $100. I think it was a pretty good deal and I'm very happy with them. I'd definitely recommend it. :-)

Happy new year!

Emilie

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Jan 2nd 2004, 1:01 pm

Thanks everyone for the very thorough replies! I apreciate it. Happy New Year!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Dave Reed
Jody Barsh

Post by Dave Reed » Jan 2nd 2004, 4:28 pm

I'll try to keep this thread going on things here:

* The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Special Collector's Edition. My girlfriend and I are in the middle of our Trilogy viewing, watching the aforementioned movie today and seeing RotK in theater tomorrow.

* Speed Racer: The first 11 episodes on DVD. The Special Edition with the faux tire track across the front.

* This cool holly tree candle that stands almost 11 inches tall. That'll go towards my collection of holiday-themed candles that I use to decorate my room.

* Money for various things, including the lifetime membership to my alma mater's alumni association. I need to pay that before the huge hike goes in effect.

Happy New Yeary, everyone!

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 2nd 2004, 4:55 pm

In the gifts for others dept....

I was able to do very well on a Christmas budgeted for about $100. I shopped at Wally World (AKA Wal Mart).

I gave my mom Vanilla Fields perfume -- her request.

I gave my oldest sister a musical Precious Moments figurine -- she collects them. I tried unsuccessfully to take the price tag off after realizing I had left it on.

My older sister received a scented candle set (pumpkin pie...yummy).

I gave one of my nephews Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited I'm trying to educate him on great music made way before he was born. I gave him Led Zep last year.

I gave my oldest sister's husband cologne. Oddly enough, he only received cologne from me this year.

I gave four other nieces and nephews Clemson hats. They grow up so fast.

So, I think I did pretty well on a budget.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/