Moving

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 12th 2005, 12:52 pm

Okay, so now I am in Madison. I had a really hard time leaving KC - about an hour before I was going to hit the road I started feeling really sick to my stomach. Not like REALLY sick, just something was off. And then, when I finally actually did leave, my hand was shaking when I locked the door behind me. Ugh. I really did not want to leave. Not that Madison is so bad - it's great in the summer - but most of my friends are all staying in KC, I have my own amazing apartment there, etc. Just wanted to stay. Now in Madison, I haven't started work yet, so it's been pretty quiet for me the last few days. I'm just bored and lonely. I hope that once work starts up I'll feel better, but it's just sad right now. :cry:
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 12th 2005, 5:46 pm

Kristin wrote:Okay, so now I am in Madison. I had a really hard time leaving KC - about an hour before I was going to hit the road I started feeling really sick to my stomach. Not like REALLY sick, just something was off. And then, when I finally actually did leave, my hand was shaking when I locked the door behind me. Ugh. I really did not want to leave. Not that Madison is so bad - it's great in the summer - but most of my friends are all staying in KC, I have my own amazing apartment there, etc. Just wanted to stay. Now in Madison, I haven't started work yet, so it's been pretty quiet for me the last few days. I'm just bored and lonely. I hope that once work starts up I'll feel better, but it's just sad right now. :cry:
Kristin,

Awww, I hope things work out for you. Remember that this is just for the summer.

I have finished the second leg of my move, most of my stuff is out of boxes now. A bit more to unpack. I have to go back to Vegas one more time to get the rest of my stuff.

Right now I am faced with the quest for work.

(Sigh) A rather depressing period of my life, honestly.

I have come to think of it as

"Low Balled: why Gorillas don't swim."

Low balling is what temp agencies continue to do. Amazing what they expect to you to live on. Also amazing is the fact that according to them all that exists in the work world are busy executives who are usually in meetings most days and the Admins who screen out people the execs don't wish to talk to.

So I heard on NPR about 2 years back that Gorillas don't swim. Seems that these intelligent beings feel no need to learn how, why do something that you don't want to do and that you know is dangerous?

Right now, I wish I was a Gorilla because, once again I have to beg and scrap for the privelige of not earning enough to live off of doing something I don't want to do.

So the quest continues.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 13th 2005, 1:29 am

Awww, Kristin, I remember that feeling too. It's hard to go home for the summer when you feel more at home where you go to school. I always got that awkward fish out of water feeling. Well, not quite that extreme, but it was like trying to fit into jeans that don't quite fit the way they used to - a little bit of chafing.

:mrgreen:

It was always a little weird trying to re-adjust to living at home again too.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 13th 2005, 3:59 pm

Thanks lance & candygirl. I think that once this summer gets rolling with work and my "summer events" like the weddings I'm going to and festivals, things will be better. Plus the weather is really crappy, and that's bringing me down. I can't go outside to play! But my brother is almost done with school too, so he'll come home next week and then I won't be alone in the house all day. We can scare up some trouble. Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure I'll start feeling better next week.

Good luck on that job hunt, lance! I'm sure you'll find something that is right for you. Glad to hear the move is almost over.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » May 13th 2005, 4:18 pm

Kristin, maybe you could post some of your music for us while you are waiting for the summer. Or make a mix tape (sorry showing my age there - make that a compilation cd) for yourself of songs of all the fun bands you'll see at Lollapalooza.

My wife is a nurse and I have this same mini-crisis of boredom any time she works night shift or on a weekend. When she first started working I went to coffee shops all the time which resulted in a pretty serious insomnia issue for me, so now I just do low key things.

Recently, my boredom reducing projects have been refinishing our kitchen wood door and finishing the digitization of my entire music collection onto my computer. I converted a lot of my old tapes into mp3s which is pretty easy to do but a little time consuming. At least now I can here the Stone Roses any time I want to. Now I am moving on to making dvd's of old home videos.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 17th 2005, 6:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, kenny. I've been thinking about joining myspace.com, where I've heard you can put like three or four of your songs on there. I have to look into it more. Mostly I've been practicing bass and catching up with family and some friends.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Greeting from California

Post by lance » May 17th 2005, 10:37 pm

Hey all,

Been here over a week and I have some interesting observations about life in Santa Cruz.

Well the weather has simply been gorgeous. Lows in the 50s generally, highs in the 70s and 80s, usually a cool ocean breeze coming. The car culture here is completely different than in Vegas. In Vegas just about every other car was an SUV. There a lot of Humvees in Vegas. Here in Santa Cruz I doubt a Humvee could fit down some of the streets here.

A great many hybrids and a fare number of diesels prowl the streets. There are quite a few fender benders here. The anecodatal stories are that various straight men are distracted by attractive women passing by and don't pay attention to the cars in front of them. The streets in Santa Cruz continually merge down to one lane. This does not mean however that the same street merges the same direction each time. Thus you can go down one street and merge left, left, right, left, right and left.

Speaking of attractive woman I was strolling through downtown checking out the various stories when a very well...endowed women walked by with a bright red teeshirt which read:

"Boobs not bombs"

:shock: :D

Shopping is also interesting. Having mostly grown up in the Midwest I did some interesting comparison shopping.

Produce in California seems to be a bit cheaper than Vegas and certainly Cincinnati. I have had the best oranges and the freshest salmon in my entire life here. That said bread and cereal is EXTREMELY expensive.

In Vegas average loaf of bread: around $2.00 Santa Cruz/San Jose $4.50

A 15oz of Cheerios (granted much of that is air) in Vegas: $2.83, Santa Cruz/San Jose: $6.50

:D

So I am going back to Vegas for the rest of my stuff and to stock up on several loafs of bread and boxes of Cheerios.

-LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 18th 2005, 4:16 am

Damn, Kenny - you can come organize my house whenever you have some free time! Those are things that I have been meaning to do (along with scanning all my photos and the stuff I always intended to put into a scrapbook).

Lance, unfortunately the cost of living is higher in California but $6.50 for a box of Cheerios is ridiculous. Shop around - you might be surprised to learn that there are a bunch of food items at my local Target (which is one of the newer ones with frozen foods and all kinds of food) and Trader Joe's are cheaper than the grocery store. And get yourself to Cost Co for cereal!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 18th 2005, 4:44 am

Lance, from the tone of your post I can tell you're much more happy already! :D That's great. It sounds like california is a beautiful place.

Good luck on the Cheerios quest too - I used to have dreams about bulk buying cheerios :oops: because they are my all-time favourite cereal, possibly even food, and you can't get them in the UK. You can get a cereal called Cheerios but they aren't the same at all. Bring on the big yellow box! one of my earliest memories is getting through 3-4 bowls in the morning at my grandmother's house, watching cartoons. having said that I think even I would balk at $6.50 a box :shock:

I'm glad it is all coming together for you - how's the house?

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

pgh kenny
Angelica

Re: Greeting from California

Post by pgh kenny » May 18th 2005, 8:07 am

Well as a move in gift I sent you the first part of a gift that I think you'll find to be entertaining, but now I am thinking I should have sent cereal or maybe a bread maker? Maybe you could barter what I did send for cereal.
lance wrote:Hey all,

In Vegas average loaf of bread: around $2.00 Santa Cruz/San Jose $4.50

A 15oz of Cheerios (granted much of that is air) in Vegas: $2.83, Santa Cruz/San Jose: $6.50

So I am going back to Vegas for the rest of my stuff and to stock up on several loafs of bread and boxes of Cheerios.

-LanceMan

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » May 18th 2005, 8:18 am

candygirl, now that I have organized all of my music onto a server at home I am thinking of using this Audiscrobbler website to rank the songs I listen to most and to get ideas for songs I might like.

I already found out when I sync my mp3 player with my computer it will pick the songs you listen to most which is kind of funny because you end up with a list of songs that would be on your all time favorite radio station. Despite giving up some privacy, I think it would be fun to have a webpage that summarizes your life musically.

[Now for compliance with the topic theme, let me just say that even though I own my house now, having mp3's back in college sure would have made moving easier than lugging all those cd cases during those yearly apartment moves.]

I could go on for pages talking about how much I love digitizing my life. I am dumping all my vhs tapes and copy everything onto dvd's. there are some funny home movies that thankfully will be preserved so my kids know how big a dork I was at their age.
Welcome to Audioscrobbler http://www.audioscrobbler.com/
Audioscrobbler builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on this site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations.
candygirl wrote:Damn, Kenny - you can come organize my house whenever you have some free time! Those are things that I have been meaning to do (along with scanning all my photos and the stuff I always intended to put into a scrapbook).

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 25th 2005, 11:51 am

lance wrote:Speaking of attractive woman I was strolling through downtown checking out the various stories when a very well...endowed women walked by with a bright red teeshirt which read:

"Boobs not bombs"

Nice segue! :D Love the shirt.

I'm glad the move is almost over for you, lance. Sounds like you are already enjoying Santa Cruz better.

Speaking of enjoying better, I'm having a better time in Madison since last I was able to check mscl.com. Work has started up for me, so that's making me feel like I'm being somewhat social. The basement isn't fixed up entirely yet, so I can't practice bass daily like I'd like, but soon. I also drove up to Green Bay for a day to visit my grandparents. So I've been busier lately. It's better. Not awesome, but better.

~~Kristin~~

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 28th 2005, 11:14 am

Kristin wrote:
lance wrote:Speaking of attractive woman I was strolling through downtown checking out the various stories when a very well...endowed women walked by with a bright red teeshirt which read:

"Boobs not bombs"

Nice segue! :D Love the shirt.

I'm glad the move is almost over for you, lance. Sounds like you are already enjoying Santa Cruz better.

Speaking of enjoying better, I'm having a better time in Madison since last I was able to check mscl.com. Work has started up for me, so that's making me feel like I'm being somewhat social. The basement isn't fixed up entirely yet, so I can't practice bass daily like I'd like, but soon. I also drove up to Green Bay for a day to visit my grandparents. So I've been busier lately. It's better. Not awesome, but better.
Kristin,

Thanks. Santa Cruz is very nice.

Glad that Wisconsin is being kind to. "Better" beats out "ho-hum".

-LanceMan

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » May 28th 2005, 10:58 pm

Kristin - glad to hear things are picking up for you in Madison. Working always helps me feel like Im being productive!

Lance - Santa Cruz sounds great. Hope all goes well with the rest of your move and the job hunt.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » May 28th 2005, 11:05 pm

Hey thanks again schris and lance. Now that the weather is getting nicer here in WI I'm enjoying myself more too. This time it just took a little more getting used to. Especially leaving my apartment all to myself and all of a sudden having three roommates again (my folks & brother) was sort of a shocker. Again, work has been great - I've become closer to my co-workers from last summer and made some new friends with the newer employees. Everyone there is so cool! And my parents are really great too. They are so loose and "whatever" that I feel fine going out late or doing whatever I want to do. I'm really lucky that way. Anyway, yeah, I'm fine now. Still a little bored some nights - checking mscl.com on a saturday night for example... but of course I'm expecting a call a little later to go out! But it's been fine. And I've been able to practice upstairs without my folks bothering me. So that's good too. Thanks again!

~~Kristin~~