High School Reunion Class '92

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: High School Reunion Class '92

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2008, 8:51 pm

I talked a friend of mine into going to his 10 year reunion because it was very close to where he currently lived and it wasn't expensive. He also knew that his high school girlfriend would be there and he really needed some closure on that relationship. In his context, the reunion seemed analagous to prom in that it wouldn't be a huge deal to go, but that if he didn't go he would end up building it into something bigger in his head and spend the next ten years wishing he had gone. He ended up going, he saw his ex, and that was that.

I totally understand the price tag being a factor - I couldn't stomach the thought of paying THAT much plus a plane ticket. For that much money, I could have several really good dinners!

:mrgreen:

One of the many great things about the internet is that you can get back in touch with all sorts of people without the hassle of a reunion - it's free and there is no travel involved! I've had a lot of friends and ex-boyfriends from high school and college find me on facebook, myspace, etc. and it's been fun getting to know them again. I'd always thought that if I wasn't talking to them anymore, so be it, since there was probably a reason why we lost touch/didn't make more of an effort to maintain the friendship, but I've come to realize that life happens and the secondary or tertiary friends get lower and lower on the priority list. It's been great catching up with them, and some of them told me that they went to our reunion but that it was just okay. I patted myself on the back for saving so much money but still getting the opportunity to find old friends elsewhere. If I'd been living closer, I might have gone. I don't know.

A friend of mine went to a small school and every year on the day after Thanksgiving, they have an unofficial reunion at the same bar, regardless of what year they graduated. Crazy!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Sep 19th 2008, 3:49 pm

Mscl.com will always hold a special place in my heart.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Feb 21st 2021, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 20th 2008, 2:51 am

Haha, glad I can provide some amusement! Facebook is the fourth social network I joined, so I am now careful not to fall into the friendster trap of getting excited when an old friend gets in touch with me and adding them to my list. Because I did this at friendster, I ended up with a bunch of people on my friends list who sent me friend requests and then never contacted me again. What is the point of finding an old friend just to add them to your list of 500 friends? It also drives me crazy when old friends send me a friend request without any accompanying message to say hi. To me, that's a sign to deny a friend request since they can't even be bothered to say hello or how are you?

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 6th 2008, 10:08 pm

It (the reunion) was lame. $82 worth of lame (yes, I paid late and they charged an extra $10). I guess I'm glad I went because how else would I have known it was lame ... but yeah, nothing that great or special. I did see and talk with several people with whom I was friendly in high school who still live in my area -- people I liked and who had friends in common, but with whom I was never super close, maybe something will come of it, but like as not no. The best part was reconnecting with my high school best friend who came out from Virginia. Spending a few days with her was the best.

There was this questionnaire we were all supposed to fill out and send in (which hardly anyone did. I filled mine out but missed the deadline to send it in. (One of the questions asked who you had a crush on, my answer was "Jordan Catalano".)), and one girl, who I vaguely knew and interacted with in classes etc. wrote these incredibly bitter responses like how high school is not something worthy of a reunion (although it does apparently rate the effort to fill out and mail a questionnaire and photoshop your sexy myspace-esque model pose with your Coast Guard officer-in-action photo). To the question that asked if we have done anything for our family or community for which we are particularly proud, she wrote that she didn't want to brag or get into a "pissing contest" with us, but that she serves her country and most of us probably don't (my answer to this question was that I support public radio).
Ouch. That was pretty high school of me to repeat that story. Sorry. I guess it's a good thing there's another ten years before the next one.
Natasha (candygirl) wrote:It also drives me crazy when old friends send me a friend request without any accompanying message to say hi. To me, that's a sign to deny a friend request since they can't even be bothered to say hello or how are you?
Totally.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 7th 2008, 5:29 am

Ha, that is actually pretty funny, Jody. I don't get why bitter people bother filling out things like senior memories or other questionnaire type things. I understand that they have just as much right to speak their mind, but wow.

I guess the way I look at it is there are lots of lame things that annoy me, but I don't waste my time dwelling on them. If I went Kramer style and wrote back to every company that sent me junk mail or chased down every person who cut me off, I wouldn't have time for my actual life.

As OCD as I can be about certain things, one of the important things I've learned in my old age is to let a lot of things go. I don't want to waste my time being mad about stuff that's over and done with.

It does kind of crack me up to think about that chick - she's bitter but she made the time to read all about the reunion, fill out the questionnaire, find a picture, and mail everything back? She obviously still cares what everyone thinks about her or she wouldn't have bothered. And you know how not to brag? Don't brag. It's actually pretty easy. Don't want to get into a pissing contest? Then don't act like you are better than everyone else because you made a particular choice. It annoys me when people say, "I don't want to brag/make you mad/insert other phrase implying my words or actions WILL be offensive." If you don't want to, then don't. If you do want to, then don't be so passive aggressive about it.

So does this mean you'll be skipping your next reunion?
:mrgreen: