Snow Days

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Snow Days

Post by lance » Feb 17th 2003, 12:20 pm

Hey all,

I thought now might be good time share your experiences with winter weather either past or present.

Here in Cincinnati all the universities, schools are closed. You can be arrested for driving in some of the counties here. Yet, the public library is still open. So I am at work. D'oh!

Over the weekend we got a couple inches of ice and several inches of snow. Yesterday was so bad everything was shut down. Didn't even try to go out. Today driving is interesting.

How are things were you are? Come on New Jerseyites what up there? Pennsylvania how bad did you get hit?

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 17th 2003, 12:31 pm

I heard about your snow troubles this morning on the radio - I'm actually sort of jealous as the USA deals SO much better with snow than the UK.

Sorry you have to be at work though Lance, that's tough when everyone else is out playing in the snow :( .

Here, a couple of weeks ago we had 2 whole inches of snow. Result? London grinds to a halt. I am turfed out of the underground (yep, it's underground but apparently points can still freeze - it's called 'adverse weather conditions') 3 miles (and 2 premature stops) from where I need to be, with traffic gridlocked and therefore no chance of a bus or a taxi home. My only option? To walk 3 miles home on ice slick pavements as the local authorities hadn't gritted. Number of days warning of this snow from the Met Office? 3. Number of hours it took me to make (in total) a 7 mile journey? 3.

Seriously, people were trapped in their cars overnight on motorways in subzero temperatures and it was amazing nobody died. I'm thinking any baby or elderly person in that situation would have to be pretty hardy.

Boy were people pissed off :twisted:

I hope none of you have to suffer any major inconveniences like that - it's miserable, especially at the end of a long day...

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 17th 2003, 12:40 pm

Here in Virginia I think we got about 15 inches. Yesterday was amazing. I love snow. Last night it started sleeting. My office is closed today, and my husband didn't go in. I think that we are about to go cabin-fever-crazy! Maryland, Virgina, and DC are in a state of emergency.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 17th 2003, 1:50 pm

Megs wrote:Here in Virginia I think we got about 15 inches. Yesterday was amazing. I love snow. Last night it started sleeting. My office is closed today, and my husband didn't go in. I think that we are about to go cabin-fever-crazy! Maryland, Virgina, and DC are in a state of emergency.
Wow!

15 inches, that's insane. Megs, what does tomorrow look like for you? Are still going to be at home?

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 17th 2003, 1:52 pm

starbug wrote:I heard about your snow troubles this morning on the radio - I'm actually sort of jealous as the USA deals SO much better with snow than the UK.

Sorry you have to be at work though Lance, that's tough when everyone else is out playing in the snow :( .

Here, a couple of weeks ago we had 2 whole inches of snow. Result? London grinds to a halt. I am turfed out of the underground (yep, it's underground but apparently points can still freeze - it's called 'adverse weather conditions') 3 miles (and 2 premature stops) from where I need to be, with traffic gridlocked and therefore no chance of a bus or a taxi home. My only option? To walk 3 miles home on ice slick pavements as the local authorities hadn't gritted. Number of days warning of this snow from the Met Office? 3. Number of hours it took me to make (in total) a 7 mile journey? 3.

Seriously, people were trapped in their cars overnight on motorways in subzero temperatures and it was amazing nobody died. I'm thinking any baby or elderly person in that situation would have to be pretty hardy.

Boy were people pissed off :twisted:

I hope none of you have to suffer any major inconveniences like that - it's miserable, especially at the end of a long day...
Starbug,

Do you normally take the underground to get to work? I heard this morning on NPR about the new tax on people driving cars into London. Are you affected by this?

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 17th 2003, 2:11 pm

Well it is still snowing like crazy outside falling at a rate of 1 to 3 inches an hour. I am right outside New York City and we have about 16 inches on the ground so far and it is supposed to continue snowing all day long, expected around 24 inches when all is said and done.

Haven't even attempted to push my door open yet, though I do need to get out there and shovel soon.

I am going to be taking digital pics for my sister and her husband who just made it out of here last night on there way back to london to show them what they missed :evil: anything worhtwhile I will post up ;)

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 17th 2003, 3:49 pm

Since I live in Florida, I really can't relate. We have hurricane days though. But, those aren't the same as snow days.

Sometimes, it does get pretty cold. I remember that on really cold days my school sent us home because not all the heaters worked in the classrooms. It was pretty old. It didn't have air conditioning either. In Florida, no less. The school had a new heating/air conditioning system installed the year after I graduated. However, the workers caused a fire and burned half of the school down. The alumni collected money to help the county rebuild the school.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 17th 2003, 3:50 pm

lance wrote:
Megs wrote:Here in Virginia I think we got about 15 inches. Yesterday was amazing. I love snow. Last night it started sleeting. My office is closed today, and my husband didn't go in. I think that we are about to go cabin-fever-crazy! Maryland, Virgina, and DC are in a state of emergency.
Wow!

15 inches, that's insane. Megs, what does tomorrow look like for you? Are still going to be at home?

Best,

Lance Man
I don't know. I hesitate to use vacation days for snow days. :( I would probably only stay home if the federal government is closed; which would be the only reason my office would be closed. Other than that, I am off to work! I like to save my vacation days for a real vacation! Not being stuck in the house with my grump husband.

:wink:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 17th 2003, 9:39 pm

Megs wrote:
lance wrote:
Wow!

Best,

Lance Man
I don't know. I hesitate to use vacation days for snow days. :( I would probably only stay home if the federal government is closed; which would be the only reason my office would be closed. Other than that, I am off to work! I like to save my vacation days for a real vacation! Not being stuck in the house with my grump husband.

:wink:
Grumpy Husband!

No my wife never has to deal with one of those...

:roll:

She usually says, "Uh maybe you want to go the Y (YMCA) now."

Thank goodness they are open again. No more snow for us, so back to work tomorrow (Trudge, trudge)

:D

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 17th 2003, 11:43 pm

Woo-hoo! The Federal Government is closed, so no work again tomorrow. What am I to do?I have already watched every movie I want to. Hopefully my hsuband will pass his grumpiness. It's getting old!

:lol:

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Feb 18th 2003, 12:03 am

I really love snow too. I get so sad here at school in Kansas City because it gets plenty cold, but not really any snow on the ground. Maybe it'll snow for a couple hours, but it will never stay more than a day or two. I'm used to Wisconsin winters. People here in KC complain when they have to scrape their windshields ONCE, and in Wisconsin you scrape every time you go to your car in the day. They are also wimps about two inches of snow, too. They don't close things down every time it snows necessarily, but everyone is late for everything.

When I was in 4th grade (1993) my parents, grandmother, and I took a trip to Virginia and DC over my spring break. We stayed at our friends' farm. The day before we were supposed to fly back to Wisconsin, a HUGE snowstorm hit. We literally could not leave the house. Airport was closed. So we stayed about two extra days and I thought it was so great that I missed half that week back to school!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 18th 2003, 6:47 am

lance wrote: Starbug,

Do you normally take the underground to get to work? I heard this morning on NPR about the new tax on people driving cars into London. Are you affected by this?

Best,

Lance Man
Hey Lance :)

Yeah, every day I take the tube to work... it's a pain quite alot of the time. It costs in the region of $130 for a month. Actually, it's worst in summer as there isn't aircon and temperatures hit 100F. Not pleasant when you haven't any choice but to stand next to someone's armpit :P

Congestion Charging started here yesterday. I live outside the zone and work inside it, so if I ever wanted to drive to work I would have to pay the charge. But I'm terrified of driving in London and try never ever to do it... it's really pretty scary, mainly as people don't tend to look what they're doing. Also the road layout is not particularly rational in today's society: most of the roads were there long long before cars were invented and you can be in the middle of a junction and suddenly find that your lane has disappeared for no apparent reason. You then have to basically push your way into heavy traffic and hope that someone nice will let you in. People shoot out of tiny sideroads without a second's thought and the rate of accidents is high. I personally hope the charge is successful in cutting traffic and it is definitely a radical solution, which is what was needed. I do sympathise with those who need their cars to get to work though. There are very few exceptions to the charge....

Boy, I'd give anything not to have to be at work today :(

Have fun throwing snowballs at each other guys!

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 18th 2003, 9:32 am

TomSpeed wrote:Since I live in Florida, I really can't relate. We have hurricane days though. But, those aren't the same as snow days.

Sometimes, it does get pretty cold. I remember that on really cold days my school sent us home because not all the heaters worked in the classrooms. It was pretty old. It didn't have air conditioning either. In Florida, no less. The school had a new heating/air conditioning system installed the year after I graduated. However, the workers caused a fire and burned half of the school down. The alumni collected money to help the county rebuild the school.
Tom Speed,

I hear ya on the hurricane front. I went through Hurricane Alicia in '83, in Houston. We lost power for 14 hours. My dad took the dog out to use the restroom. Everytime he lifted his leg, the wind would catch him and send him down the street. Finally Dad just had to hold him until he was done.

The eye part is pretty cool. Totally silence...then the other side of the storm hits.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 18th 2003, 9:35 am

Megs wrote:Woo-hoo! The Federal Government is closed, so no work again tomorrow. What am I to do?I have already watched every movie I want to. Hopefully my hsuband will pass his grumpiness. It's getting old!

:lol:
Megs,

The great thing about moods is that eventually, they swing :D
Hopefully hubby will brighten up. Hope your day gets better.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 18th 2003, 9:38 am

starbug wrote:
lance wrote: Starbug,

Best,

Lance Man
Hey Lance :)

Yeah, every day I take the tube to work... it's a pain quite alot of the time. It costs in the region of $130 for a month. Actually, it's worst in summer as there isn't aircon and temperatures hit 100F. Not pleasant when you haven't any choice but to stand next to someone's armpit :P

Congestion Charging started here yesterday. I live outside the zone and work inside it, so if I ever wanted to drive to work I would have to pay the charge. But I'm terrified of driving in London and try never ever to do it... it's really pretty scary, mainly as people don't tend to look what they're doing. Also the road layout is not particularly rational in today's society: most of the roads were there long long before cars were invented and you can be in the middle of a junction and suddenly find that your lane has disappeared for no apparent reason. You then have to basically push your way into heavy traffic and hope that someone nice will let you in. People shoot out of tiny sideroads without a second's thought and the rate of accidents is high. I personally hope the charge is successful in cutting traffic and it is definitely a radical solution, which is what was needed. I do sympathise with those who need their cars to get to work though. There are very few exceptions to the charge....

Boy, I'd give anything not to have to be at work today :(

Have fun throwing snowballs at each other guys!
100 degrees in a subway, Eek!

I have heard talk that improvements may be made to the tube, hopefully that will be sooner rather then later.

With school and work it is actually cheaper here to drive than take the bus. We had a major transportation levy on the ballot last fall that would have brought light rail to Cincy. The voters turned it down, D'oh! Oh well, back to the gas station.

Best,

Lance Man