Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Superjesus
Overlooked Sibling

Re: Newbies!

Post by Superjesus » Jun 20th 2011, 6:39 am

Even though I've posted already and the forum seems pretty much dead, I may as well do this.

When did you first see the show? Only about a week ago. I'd just gotten out of a relationship, and a friend gave me the DVD box set because she thought that I would get some insight into why I can't keep a steady relationship with a woman.

How has the show impacted your life? It hasn't helped my work, since I skipped two days (I work casually so it didn't matter, but still...) to see every episode twice. But it has helped me understand myself a bit better and now I know what my friend meant when she said that I have a Catalano Complex (which, in her humble opinion, means that my lost boy/puppy dog facade allows me to get away with the fact that I'm basically a giant prick underneath) even if I don't agree fully.

What are your goals and aspirations? Figure out what true happiness is. Have enough success with my music that I don't need a day job but not so much that I have to sell out just to maintain ourselves. Gain the testicular fortitude to one day ride the Cape Solander break off Kurnell. And witness a Cronulla Sharks premiership. (I think happiness is some combination of all three, but I'm not sure).

What is your greatest accomplishment in life so far? Probably getting into university, when you consider my final year of school. I think there was one term (the second) where I attended class with any regularity and that was mostly because a) it was too cold to surf every day and b) I didn't have my own car at the time. Term 1 and 4, surfing all day - Term 3, driving around with the boys. Yet I still did well enough on my finals to get into the course I wanted.

What is your shoe size? Men's 10.5.

What is your favorite fruit? Mango, followed by watermelon, pineapple and green grapes.

Guilty pleasure? MSCL? Definitely Gossip Girl.

Best childhood sugary Saturday morning cereal? Fruit Loops, but we never had them at our house. I had them a few times at mates' though.

Favorite cartoon character? Oooh, tough one. Homer Simpson has been a favourite since childhood, and he comes to mind first...so I'll go with him. I wish I had a dad like Homer at times.

What is the ultimate disco song? Hmmm, I'm a punk rocker and all and I hate disco generally...but whenever I hear Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees, I can't stop myself from humming the falsetto in the chorus.

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling
Location: 100 miles from Three Rivers, on the good side of the River

Post by RCBS » Jun 29th 2011, 6:36 pm

Goodbye.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 17th 2016, 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mutajon
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Mutajon » Jun 30th 2011, 5:40 am

RCBS wrote:
After starting to watch the show again, Ive found that it has me looking inward at myself.
Exactly what it did to me as well. Definitly one of the reasons I hold it in such high regard. Creations that make you think and question yourself (and the world around you) are the ones that have, at least for me, the most lasting impression (and the ones that touch me the most).
RCBS wrote:
The following two quotes have reached into my soul on this go-around:

Angela: It just seems like,you agree to have a certain personality or something. For no reason. Just to make things easier for everyone. But when you think about it, I mean, how do you know it’s even you?

Angela : [riding a bicycle up the street] People always say you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing, like a toaster, or something. Like you can know what it is, even. But every so often, I’ll have like…a moment, where being myself, and my life right where I am is, like, enough.
Yup. Very true descriptions about young adults (and maybe even later? haven't been there yet so can't tell for sure). I also found them both very disturbing, in a good way, because the're so true for me right now...

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)
"Aaaand dance by the light of the mooooon"

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling

Post by RCBS » Jun 30th 2011, 7:25 am

:?
Last edited by RCBS on Sep 10th 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacchante
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by Bacchante » Jun 30th 2011, 12:02 pm

So many new people! Welcome to the forum guys :)
"I know you think, how could someone like me understand. Only, I do."

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling

Post by RCBS » Jul 1st 2011, 11:12 am

Cookies.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 17th 2016, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCBS
Overlooked Sibling

Post by RCBS » Jul 2nd 2011, 12:10 pm

Water.
Last edited by RCBS on Dec 17th 2016, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuffaloLawnmower
Liberty High Student

Post by BuffaloLawnmower » Jul 17th 2011, 7:17 am

Hi all; I'm new to the forum!

(I derived the name "Buffalo Lawnmower" from the band "Buffalo Tom" (featured in the show) and from a quote of Brian's about a certain item belonging to his parents that "sounds like a lawnmower".)

I'm also 'new' to the show. I was around when it first aired, but was really little, so I didn't watch it. I 'found' "My So-Called Life" when I looked up another show that I liked and this show was mentioned--so, when I found it on TV, I decided to watch it on a whim and ended up loving it. I haven't seen every episode yet, as I just watched it for the first time a few days ago, but I am in the process of doing that, and I do already know what happens. (I don't really mind spoilers too much, to be honest. Even if I know what happens, I'm still curious to see how it happens and to watch it play out--to experience it "firsthand").

My favorite character so far is Brian. I relate to him the most. I think that even older fans of the show can probably still relate to some aspects of the characters; I know that I do (I'm in my 20s). That's actually one of the things that I really love about this show: even though the characters are teens, some of the things that they feel are things that adults experience too, even if it's in a different way or in a different context (such as feeling isolated or alienated). The other really big thing that I love is that none of the characters are perfect or complete monsters, either.

So, that's it. Glad to find other fans and I look forward to discussing the show with you all :wink:

*edit: I now have seen all of the episodes; finally finished the series! (and will re-watch, of course) :-)
Last edited by BuffaloLawnmower on Aug 27th 2011, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeachSnowFalling
Frozen Embryo

Looking for friends (or more) in Denver

Post by PeachSnowFalling » Aug 22nd 2011, 2:45 am

Hi everyone! I'm a rabid fan after rediscovering MSCL recently (I originally watched with my sis as a pre-teen). I must say it's incredibly lame how they ended it (and I realize it was supposed to be a cliff-hanger for season 2). Maybe Winnie could've at least written a summary/outline ending or conclusion to tie things together? Alas, until we gain real Slider technology so we can go to alternate universes (say, one where the show went its full run of 20 seasons :-P ), we'll have to hit the repeat button on season 1 (could be worse, in my opinion ;)).

But I honestly hope to meet some new people and make some friends, maybe/hopefully even local to the Denver Colorado area to gush it up about MSCL, and do other things friends might do. I am probably a mix between Angela and Brian; introverted, socially awkward or shy, very self-introspective/analytical and timid around attractive women. I'm admittedly a bit of a loner but would like to make some regular buds as well as find my own female Jordan Catalano someday, so I can do the whole Angela thing for real :lol:. I'm laughing, but seriously, it's true!

I'm so glad to have found this site and look forward to the connections I'm sure I'll make. Peace out, Liberty High alumni 0X

Gray

fapolito
Frozen Embryo

Original MSCL viewer

Post by fapolito » Oct 23rd 2011, 3:22 pm

Hi, my name is Frank Anthony Polito. I'm a published author living in New York City, and I'm venturing into the field of "Young Adult" ficiton, which is part of the reason I'm re-watching MSCL on Hulu -- and just because I remember loving it the first time around, and haven't seen it since. (I can't believe I am now OLDER than Angela's parents!)

I'm in the process of attempting to publish a book set in-part in 1994, so watching MSCL and getting to see the '90s fashion first-hand (so much plaid!) is really fun. I feel that the show could easily be aired on ABC Family or even TeenNick today. It really is/was a precursor to all the "teen girl" shows we have on TV now -- only better than most!

For more about me and my books:
http://www.frankanthonypolito.com
Frank Anthony Polito
author of LOST IN THE '90s
www.frankanthonypolito.com

Brian Vasquez
Frozen Embryo

Post by Brian Vasquez » Dec 25th 2011, 2:36 pm

Hello all!
I've checked back here a few times since MSCL ended, but I didn't find the forums until today. (Happy X-mas, BTW!)

I found MSCL during its initial run on ABC back in 1994 when I was in college, and I kind of became a little obsessed with it. I sought out the music from the show, and I bought the first issued DVDs (the BMG version with zero extras) when they came out.

As you can probably tell by my username, I relate to Brian and Ricky most strongly, and I think "Life of Brian" is my favorite episode while at the same time being one of the most painful to watch.

At present, I am married with two cats. I still love the music from the show, but I've found other things to be obsessed about. (Other TV shows I love: Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (2004), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Carnivale, Firefly, The Shield.)

I'm not really sure what else to write here, but I'm sure that I'll be contributing a bit to other forum threads in the weeks to come.

Kyle Vinovich
Frozen Embryo

Post by Kyle Vinovich » Jan 5th 2012, 6:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

What an amazing show. I just discovered My So-Called Life for the first time about a month ago, and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since. This show had such an impact on me and I am so happy that I found it. Everything about My So-Called Life is so important, relevant, and interesting to me. The acting in MSCL is so good especially Claire Danes'. Claire Danes is exceptionally beautiful in my humble opinion.

I wish I had been old enough to experience this show when it first aired on ABC, or at least the MTV reruns, but I was too little. I have looked for and bought most of the songs in the show, as well as the soundtrack from 1995.

Bye for now
There's something about my life. It's just automatically true that nothing actually happens.

kinderwhore
Frozen Embryo

Post by kinderwhore » Jan 17th 2012, 5:06 am

i love mscl...i wish they'd bring back the show on tv.

estrid
Tino

Re:

Post by estrid » Mar 3rd 2012, 12:51 pm

Natasha (candygirl) wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:Or, was I supposed to just say, "Hi!"
Nope, you did a great job as the inaugural newbie!

The mods just thought it would be nice to have one place at the top of the forum for everyone to introduce themselves and say hi rather than having a bunch of "hi I'm new" threads that eventually slip down the page and out of sight.

For the rest of you new kids on the block (hee, sorry - please don't go girl!), feel free to introduce yourselves, tell us when you first saw MSCL, how it has impacted your lives, your goals and aspirations, your greatest accomplishment in life thus far, your shoe size, favorite fruit, most guilty pleasure, best childhood sugary Saturday morning cereal, favorite cartoon character, and what you consider to be the ultimate disco song. The bikini and talent segments will follow.

Really - you may tell us as much or as little as you like. As long as you entertain us :wink:
I was a fan of Tavi's Style Rookie blog, and a year ago she made a post all about rayanne graff's mind-blowing style. I fell in love with her immediately. rayanne was perfect, she had the look I had been wanting forever. so I started watching MSCL and I was stuck.
I really, really love mscl and I am forever thankful to tavi gevinson for introducing me to it. I've watched it 4, 5 times now and it's - besides twin peaks- my favorite TV-show. I was obviously not alive when it first aired, but I can absolutely relate to angela, since I am a 15 year old girl.

but the one who catched my eye in the first place was miss rayanne marie graff. I just think she's amazing and every morning I'm getting dressed before school she's there, in my mind, telling me to add just one more necklace or tie a flannel shirt round my hips. I admit she's my number one style icon. therefore, at my school - my fashion sense is considered very... weird. :P

I want to leave this town and go somewhere, explore, and live my life. I want to be a musician. okay, I want to be a rockstar. :wink:
I'm a vegetarian. I write poetry. I love candy. I read a lot. I listen to a lot nirvana, the doors, grateful dead, smashing pumpkins, soundgarden, hole, jefferson airplane, yea.
I wish I could've lived in the 60's or the 90's.
I am a chaotic marriage between hippie s**t and 90's grunge.
have a nice day. :D

rachelle1165
Frozen Embryo

Re: Original Viewer

Post by rachelle1165 » May 29th 2012, 10:22 am

I can't believe I recently found this site and it looks like I may have found it way too late, lol.
I watched the show when it originally aired. I was in my late 20's at the time and married. I loved the show, watched every episode. It was a happy time in my life, in retrospect, and watching the show now brings back very strong feelings of nostalgia. At the time i felt it was realistic and it conveyed the teenage years pretty accurately. I was disappointed when it was cancelled. I may have caught a few re-runs on MTV, but that was a long time ago, i might be mixing up my memories with the original airing. Recently i found the show on Sundance channel and have been watching it ever since. I do not own the DVD set yet(wasnt even aware it existed until a few months ago).

The questionnaire:

Greatest Accomplishment-
I have professionally published poetry and articles.

Shoe Size: 8.5

Fave Fruit: Avocado

Guilty Pleasure: MSCL? Tootsie Rolls

Best Sugary Cereal: Count Chocula (do they even still make it?)

Fave Cartoon Character: Hmmm, thats a tough one. Homer Simpson, Cartman, Stewie

Best Disco Song: "Stayin' Alive", hands down. Though i was too young (twelve) to see Saturday Night Fever when it was first released, i fell in love with the song from radio, etc. Had it on a little 45 record, used to play it with my friends in the back yard and dance around. Silly but fun!!