Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
sarahr_81
Overlooked Sibling

Post by sarahr_81 » Sep 16th 2004, 2:48 pm

yes, lol, i guess there is, we gotta stick together, lol.

Kate and her Guitar
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Kate and her Guitar » Sep 24th 2004, 6:32 am

Hi everyone. I've decided I wanted to join a new forum, so here I am.

I was 14 when MSCL first aired, but unfortunately didn't get to see much of it. I've recently felt regret at not having appreciated all of the great TV and music around in the nineties! I'm hoping for the day when the DVD will be released in the UK. Pleeeeeeeeease, if anyone's out there!

I am 24. I live with two friends in SE England but am from near Nottingham. I love travel, films, languages ( I speak German so may be in the German section sometimes). And if you hadn't guessed, I play the guitar. Not brilliantly, but I'm improving.

So, I will be around...

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Sep 24th 2004, 7:03 am

Welcome, Kate... hope you enjoy using this forum! you can get the DVD to run on a multi-region player (I have) and you might be able to get hold of the DVD set on ebay, though I read that people are having problems enough in the US/Canada... so I don't know how likely it is now.

Anyway, hello!

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

I have just joined the MSCL forum

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Sep 26th 2004, 5:16 pm

Hello to all the other MSCL fans. I am glad I am among the thousands of fans the show still has even though the show went off the air over 10 years ago.

I was 12 years old when the show first came on ABC and I didn't watch it when it was on ABC. I don't think I would have understood the show back then as I do now. I caught a few episodes when MSCL was on MTV in 1996 but MTV only showed the show in the middle of the night or marathons and I couldn't stay up all hours of the night back then, compared to now.

I finally saw all 19 episodes on the N just this past summer and I can't believe it took me so long to see this show. I never watched Dawson's Creek or any other of those teen shows because they didn't feel real and after watching MSCL, I can't watch another teen drama show.

MSCL got to me because the characters were real, just out of place in their own ways like just me. The characters were just hiding who they really were to specific characters, like Brian Krakow being in love with Angela Chase and not being able to directly tell her.

I couldn't really say that I related to one character over another because there were bits and pieces of each character that I related to, Brian's shyness, Rickie's feeling alone in the world, Angela's being fixated on somebody but not having the relationship work out, Jordan's inability to choose being in a relationship with Angela versus hanging out with his friends, etc.

Furthermore, if I had to pick whether or not Angela would have ended up with Brian or Jordan, I would say Brian. Jordan would have never been able to get his act together to make Angela an important part of his life where as Brian would have done anything for Angela no matter how trivial and she was his dreamgirl and he would have done anything and everything in his power to make sure he didn't screw up his relationship with Angela.

In reality, I don't think she would have ended up with either one because unless Brian and Angela had gone to the same college it would have been difficult for the writers to keep them together given the fact that Brian would have probably gone to an Ivy league school and they would have lost touch, but who knows, maybe they could have stayed in touch but we will never know.

As for my opinion of ABC cancelling the show, I can't repeat it otherwise the moderators of the site would cancel my account for too many duragatory comments. I would have loved to have seen the storylines for the rest of high school and possibly college.

As for me personally, I am a graduate student at Eastern Washington University located in Cheney, Washington which is right outside of Spokane, Washington on the map. I have already posted some chapters on the interactive story focusing on mainly Brian and Angela and I look forward to get to know and commenting on stories and other items from the other MSCL fans and authors who keep the spirit of the show alive through the website.

So hello to all.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 26th 2004, 9:33 pm

Welcome to the forum! What are you studying in graduate school? You can read some of Winnie's ideas for S2 in this thread.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Sep 26th 2004, 10:14 pm

Thanks candygirl for the welcome, I appreciate it. I am currently studying to get my MBA (Masters of Business Adminstration) that means I am taking the core classes for the degree right now.

As for the thread with the season 2 storylines that Winnie Holzman mentioned, it almost makes sense that Angela's parents would split because Hallie was all over Graham at the end. It's also another stage of life that you depend less on your parents and more on your friends as you go through high school even though your parents are still a part of your life, they are not major players as compared to when you just start school.

Angela's life would have been more interwined with her friends and her family life would have been less a part of the show. This change probably would have connected her more to Brian because his parents in the show were just voices and he overanalyzed everything to death. Angela would have felt closer to him because his parents were never actually physically there. Brian and Angela would have gotten closer because a person can't forget where they came from and the good times that come with those memories. Angela spent the whole series looking for something that made sense and the only person who knew what they wanted the whole time was Brian, everybody else's perception of events changed over time to make them want different things.

Brian, no matter how jealous or consending the comment about her life, was the one person Angela probably would have ran to if she had gotten into trouble because he was always there for her, to be her friend and possibly something more at some point.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 26th 2004, 10:48 pm

Very cool - our very own Starbug is starting her MA program this week, and one of my best friends just started his MBA at Michigan this month. Education is in the air!

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Lizka
Overlooked Sibling

Um, hi.

Post by Lizka » Sep 30th 2004, 7:17 pm

Hey. New here, but I guess you knew that already.

What you didn't know: I'm 19, live in Canada, and am in search of a beta reader.

- Liz

EWU MSCL fan
Overlooked Sibling

Post by EWU MSCL fan » Oct 1st 2004, 5:52 pm

Hi and welcome.

LittleWildheart
Tino

Post by LittleWildheart » Oct 15th 2004, 3:06 pm

Hi there...I'm new. :) I've been a fan of the show since it originally aired back in '94. I was a 15 year old high school sophomore at the time...and I just ate up every episode. I, like many others here, identified with it so much and at times felt like the writers had gotten into my head somehow and written a show about me. ;) I discovered this site (or some ancient form of it) in '97 or '98 or so when I was in college. I've been coming here off and on when I got nostalgic for the show ever since. I hopped on the bandwagon and signed the petition and pre-ordered the DVD set from AU. I don't know why I'm just now getting around to registering on the forum, other than I'm known to be rather cripplingly shy. ;) Anyway...just wanted to say hi!

schris
Between Names

Post by schris » Oct 16th 2004, 7:59 pm

Hey Im new - just wanted to say hi to everyone. I've been reading posts here for about a week and it's been really fun to see what everyone has to say about the greatest show ever!!! I was 13 when the show first aired and didn't see too much of it then - but I started watching it on MTV when I was 16. That is when I fell in love! After it went away, I never really thought about the show until recently. Now I am taping them off the N so I can get up to date again. :D

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Oct 17th 2004, 3:47 pm

Welcome Lizka, schris, and LittleWildheart! Lizka, I'm enjoying your additions to the ff page.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

BriansAngst
Liberty High Student

Post by BriansAngst » Oct 28th 2004, 11:54 pm

Hey all, I'm yet another newbie who just joined the forum within the week. MSCL aired when I was in college in Los Angeles... and all my roomates felt I was such a "girl" for wanting to watch the show... LoL, but I was obsessed. Now it's great to watch the whole thing on Family again up here in Canada. Disgruntingly I have to confess I hate missing episodes when I'm on call at the hospital every 4th night practically, but so goes life. I'm a medical slave... errrr resident and I need to find the DVD set soon!

FMaj
Tino

Post by FMaj » Nov 1st 2004, 12:34 pm

Hi,

I just found this forum and I thought I would introduce myself too before I browse all the threads.

Okay I’m French (so hope you don’t mind if I do lots of mistakes when writing in English ;) ) and I’m probably one of the few (if not the only one!) who didn’t see the whole show :( Unfortunately! But I swear it’s not my fault, please don’t :splat: me ;) Kidding lol

Actually, I was lucky enough to see 5 or 6 episodes but didn't get the chance to see more yet :cry2: At first I just wanted to watch the show because I’m a huge fan of Devon Gummersall (ever since I saw him on Roswell and then even more after I met him in Paris this year) and I wanted to see him in other roles.

But I have to say I really really love mscl now! I wish I could see all the episodes, so I hope the DVD set will be available in France again in the future (as I don’t even have a multizone dvd player)…
Oh I have also seen the finale videoclip at mscl.com and it was so sad! Okay no need to say I would have liked to see Brian and Angela end up together but is that just because I’ve not seen the whole show yet?….

Anyway I’m sure here I’ll get to learn a lot about the episodes I couldn’t watch yet.

Er, anything else I should say about me?
Well, things I like maybe:
Talking with lots of people from different countries (thanks to the internet)
Photography
Doing fanarts
Reading
Cinema (some movies I loved: Titanic, 6th sense, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, and many other I don’t remember right now ;) )

ttyl
Laurence

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 1st 2004, 1:28 pm

Welcome FMaj! Are you a musician too? (The FMaj -- like the chord?)
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~