Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
speed24601
Tino

Re: Newbies!

Post by speed24601 » Feb 18th 2008, 2:08 am

Greetings fellow fans! I started watching MSCL during it's original run on ABC back when I was 16 getting ready to turn 17. The show captivated me then, although at that age, I think it was more about hormones and Claire Danes. I recently purchased the new DVD box set from Shout Factory and found out that the show was actually better now than it was when I was a teenager. It's really amazing that the show still seems so relevant. It's even more amazing to find a great website like this so many years after the fact. Thanks to the powers that be for keeping this site going!

cpalmer
Frozen Embryo

I'm new too...

Post by cpalmer » Feb 18th 2008, 10:16 am

I posted this on the other board but kind of explains why I've joined up...

"I got MSCL for xmas cause I am a huge Jared Leto fan and have just had the time to myself all weekend to watch it... all 19 episodes in 2 days... OMG! I am nearly 32 and it just made me so wish I was back at school-all those feelings came back to me-it was so amazing how MSCL managed to capture that time so perfectly. I really don't think that any other show hit the mark so on the button! Like having your social life controlled by your parents again-urghh and that one person who made you just act soooo weird and kooky when they were in about a mile of you!! You just KNEW!
MSCL made me realise that that time of your life is so free in so many ways and how you just wish you could have appreciated it while you were living it-many of those feelings and experiences will never be lived through again-which is kind of sad-which is what makes this show so GREAT! You can be part of Angela's world through your own memories, its like you are right there with her. Why oh WHY did they only make one series! The best show EVER!!!"
C

Just hope that some of you out there are as obsessed as i am at the moment-it'll make me feel better!!!

kimothy
Frozen Embryo

Post by kimothy » May 28th 2008, 6:05 pm

Hey. I'm new. I guess that's kind of obvious though 8)

Tainted Angel
Frozen Embryo

Post by Tainted Angel » May 30th 2008, 11:15 am

Hello all! I've been lurking in this forum for a while, and decided to finally join like 5 minutes ago. :lol:

I didn't watch My So-Called Life in its original run. I did, however, begin watching it when MTV was playing it 24/7 after it got cancelled. I just bought the new box-set this past January. I'm on my 3rd time through the series. I am completely in love with this show. But I see it from a different perspective now that I'm older (I'm in my 30s). :)

ruinawish
Frozen Embryo

Re: I'm new too...

Post by ruinawish » Jun 29th 2008, 7:06 am

Newb here. My fellow newb has expressed some of my feelings here (rather conveniently), particularly this section
cpalmer wrote:I am nearly 32 and it just made me so wish I was back at school-all those feelings came back to me-it was so amazing how MSCL managed to capture that time so perfectly. I really don't think that any other show hit the mark so on the button!
The few episodes that I have of MSCL have made me wish that I had a different high school experience. And gee wiz, I wish I hadn't spent 2/3 of high school in a single sex school :( .

Anyway, I first came across MSCL when I was browsing the local DVD store. From out of the blue, a familiar face popped out. "Who is that...?", I thought, "Could it be...?" Inspecting the DVD closer, the face turned out to belong to one of my favourite obsessions: Claire Danes!

I'm not a fan of impulse buys, so I went home, did my research, watched a bit of the pilot on youtube and to my great joy, I really enjoyed it. So I went and bought the Australian release of the show. Upon doing more research on the internet, the Shout Factory release of the series made me drool. Fortunately, someone on ebay was selling it... and for the same price as the one I had just bought!

So yes, I bought it and I couldn't be happier.

Cheers.

elsie
Frozen Embryo

Post by elsie » Jul 6th 2008, 12:23 pm

It seem's from some of the posts I have read that everyone is older, I am only fifteen. Sixteen in less then a month, I was only about three when the show had first entered our televisions. When I was around ten or eleven, the show ran on fox kids, I never
watched it. I use to always change the channel, maybe because my brother said it was something I wouldn't like. The dvd box set only just arrived in Australia only a few short weeks ago. I am really big on teenage shows, and on different eras. First it was Degrassi, the original one from the 80s. Then Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Along came 90210, a show I hated years ago but now can't get enough of. Then That 70s show and now My So-Call Life. Boredom has gotten the best of me as it is term holidays, nothing to watch on daytime television so I asked my brother to drive me to JB HI-FI. Looking around at the television shows I stumble across in the new section MSCL, picking it up and showing my brother "I remember this from foxkids." He replies saying "You'd like it." I bought it, then reading the cover it says "The complete series." Then discovering it was only a 19 episode series, when I was younger it had seemed it went longer.

The character Claire Danes played sort of connected to me, I know over ten years a lot has changed but I am her age. Its odd, how one show can change you. I only have just finished the series but I started to read up on it, and stumbled across this site.

I think way more now cos her thoughts actually meant something, it was so meaningful.

Well thats all I wanted to say.

Brunkster
Liberty High Student

Post by Brunkster » Jul 7th 2008, 5:29 pm

Welcome, Elsie! I can't tell you how jealous I am of your seeing the show for the first time through the eyes of a teenager years after it first aired. I was a few years older than you when I first saw MSCL and it was love at first sight. I love it even more these days, but nothing is quite the same as seeing it when you don't know what is going to happen and you can't wait to see the next episode. If you have any thoughts or comments on any of the characters or episodes, please feel free to post them in the forums. We'd all enjoy hearing a new viewer's perspective.

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 4th 2008, 5:50 pm

It's been a long time since I've asked one of my tech/Internet-related questions, so I'm going to finally ask something I've been wondering for some time: Who are: Ask Jeeves [Bot], Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]? These can't be real members, even Candygirl isn't on the site this much. :mrgreen: What's the story with the (Ro)Bots on MSCL?
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Aug 4th 2008, 5:53 pm

Hi Magesty. 30 posts in two days is impressive, welcome to the forum!
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2008, 8:52 pm

Jody Barsch* wrote:It's been a long time since I've asked one of my tech/Internet-related questions, so I'm going to finally ask something I've been wondering for some time: Who are: Ask Jeeves [Bot], Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]? These can't be real members, even Candygirl isn't on the site this much. :mrgreen: What's the story with the (Ro)Bots on MSCL?
Those are my aliases.

:lol:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Krys
Tino

Post by Krys » Oct 25th 2008, 4:37 am

Hey everyone! I'm Krystal, and I'm 22. I was only 8 years old when the show first aired in 1994, so I didn't watch it then. I caught it years later in the late '90s on MTV, when I was a bit older and was thus able to connect to it more, though I was still young (12). I remember watching the marathons and falling in love with the show, and dying to know when the new season started, though obviously it was never to come. I didn't know this at the time though, since I didn't have internet until years later. When I was 17, I was lucky enough to catch all the episodes again on The N, and my obsession returned. I wad tempted to buy the BMG DVD release of it, but it was extremely high priced on every site I went to since it was no longer in print. Then last year, in one of my magazines (I think it was Rolling Stone), I saw an ad for the Shout Factory release and instantly ran to the computer and ordered it. :)

I'm so obsessed with the show, I've read Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis, the play Our Town, as well as re-read Anne Frank's diary (I've already read it for school as well as pleasure in the past). I also dyed my hair red once a few years ago, and am considering doing it again once it grows out more! I've even had a red Jansport backpack at one point as well. Btw, has anyone ever seen/owned a copy of Anne Frank that looked like Angela's copy? I've never been able to find it!

Anyway, when I was 15, I was definitely an "Angela." I was very innocent, though it's only looking back that I think so, since no one ever thinks they are at the time. I was also very introspective to the point of shyness, kind of seen as "the weird girl" as a result. And who couldn't identify with obsessing over crushes during that age? Heck, I still do!

Then when I was 17, I met sort of a "Rayanne Graff" when I moved here to Pennsylvania, who was into drinking, tattoos, partying, had tons of boys lusting after her, and was rather popular and extroverted. She didn't have drinking/drug issues though, and was more mainstream popular than Rayanne was, but I did have my first beer with her and tagged along to parties. I turned into a "Rayanne" myself, even more so than this girl, and started drinking a lot, to the point where even this girl drifted away from me. I also got into punk music for a while, and so had many piercings, wild hair colors (with a mohawk even!), and still have tattoos as a permanent reminder.

Even though I saw myself as an "Angela," and while watching the series I still identify with her the most, I think I have more similarities to Rayanne now.
Last edited by Krys on Dec 8th 2008, 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Oct 27th 2008, 4:17 am

Haha! How cute!
I am turning 21 on 11/15.
I was 7 when the show was airing.
Didn't discover it until last year when they were showing it in streaming video on ABC.com as a promotion for the Shout Factory DVD release. My parents bought the DVD set for me for Easter, and I have been writing a fanfiction from Rayanne's POV for about 5 months now (It's got 18 short chapters)...It's amazing how this show can truly capture one's heart! I've never been obsessed about any piece of media, like I am about MSCL!
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

briansfloppyringlets
Frozen Embryo

Post by briansfloppyringlets » Nov 27th 2008, 11:25 pm

hello!
you can call me brian.
i had to be a secret mscl fan because i was a fifteen year old boy when it aired, and i was supposed to be into rugby or fighting or something. my sister knew i loved it and she would deliberately come in and pretend to want to watch something else when it was on, KNOWING i would be too embarassed to admit i liked it.
later i was in a high school band called the sparkling tarts (i lobbied for frozen embryos but the drummer didnt like it) and our best and most popular song was a love song to angela called, with devestating lyrical originality, 'my so called life'

i would say i have always been somewehat conflicted about my love for the show. like, it was too girly for me to be so into THEN, and now i am a full grown man who should really not be spending so much time on the internet. so i will be staying in this section, reasoning that its ok to be here instead of out building business empires or getting married or something, as long as i am pointedly talking about things that are not this tv programme.
so yeah, hi.

LadyGuinevere
Tino

Post by LadyGuinevere » Feb 11th 2009, 1:15 pm

Hello everybody,

Newbie here :wink:
I read I am not the only "older" person here, that's comforting! :P I am a woman, 31 years old, and live in The Netherlands. I am married for 3,5 years. I have been into Jared Leto for a while already, but didn't buy the serie MSCL until recently. Last week, to be precise. I thought to myself I would wacth 1 episode a day...Yeah...Right... :lol: I got hooked on the show, so hooked even I forgot at times I was watching Jared Leto...hehehe...I finished the whole series in less than a week, and now I am lost...

Cruised the internet and came accross this site, very nice! Looked for some fanfic as well, and I did find some here. As I like to write fanfic too, I am working on yet *another* sequel of the show as well.

I loved reading here (in the introduction section) what some people wrote, can't agree more. The show is so recognizable, takes me back to high school at once! The insecurity, the worrying about things that don't seem to matter now, the big CRUSH on someone not obtainable...

I can't promise I'll be here a lot, but it's always nice to know I'm not alone and have a great resource for info! See you around!!
Gee whiz!

Char
Frozen Embryo

Post by Char » Feb 19th 2009, 10:11 am

Hi everyone!
I'm 26 and live in the UK. I recently borrowed the box set of MSCL from a friend after watching it when it came out way back when. I was absolutley absorbed and watched at least 4 episodes a day....i could totally understand everything that Angela and Rayanne went through having been both of the at different points in my life.
The worst thing for me is i'm let needing more....why oh why couldn't there have been a second series to tie up lose ends? i adore this show and would love to know what happened to everyone.

nice to meet you all :)

Char