Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Rainey's_Mischief
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Rainey's_Mischief » Jun 21st 2007, 1:00 am

Hi Helena! Nice to see you here. I live in Florida and it's a very hot and humid summer here.
RM
"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."

dudn3000
Tino

Re: Newbies!

Post by dudn3000 » Sep 30th 2007, 4:43 am

Hello everybody!
I'm Julia from Austria and I'm really happy that I've found this site! I just bought the MSCL DVD-Box (earliest date here in Austria) and i'm totally impressed! Best show ever!!!
Well, I don't know what I should write about me (not very interesting at all) so if you want to know something, just ask!
I'm really looking forward to meet all of you at the board!!!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Sep 30th 2007, 9:52 pm

Hi everyone! I've been poking around this site for years and finally decided it was time to join in! I know a few people here and there who are or were fans of MSCL but it's nice to talk to people who also share my continuing dedication for ths show as well. You know, people who's boxed sets have not seen dust...ever! I'm 27 and I still watch the show regularly, quote it regularly and probably will never stop. I love watching the episodes and letting them take me back in time all the while being amazed at how relevant the show still is all these years later. Because before being a show about a teenage girl and her drama it was first a show about relationships, about life! And it was the first show I had ever seen to really truly get what it was like to be in high school ("School is a battlefield for your heart!") and not miss a beat. Still one of my favorite scenes is when Angela is explaining to her teacher in the pilot why she quit yearbook...if you made a book about what really happened it would be a really upsetting book! I had friends like Sharon and Rayanne and remember being pulled in the direction of my Rayanne-like friends! I had battles with my parents just like Angela did with hers. I had a Jordan Catalano... and a few Brian Krakow's! So many parallels.

I watched MSCL when it first aired on ABC but don't remember it from MTV, I don't think we were allowed to have that channel as kids, haha! I've done my share of obsessing about why the show could not have continued but I've settled on being grateful for the 19 episodes we have. I personally would not like to have a reunion show or movie, but would pay a lot of $$$ to see the cast back together in a special being interviewed, that type of thing. Why oh why can't we have one little teeny tiny reunion special??? :P Just for the sake of closure!

I think it took me so long to introduce myself here because I knew once I got started I wouldn't be able to stop! So I'm done... I look forward to meeting some of you now that I am posting.

Keep posting and keep watching!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

dudn3000
Tino

Post by dudn3000 » Oct 1st 2007, 10:35 am

Hey 4alifetime!
I'm glad that someone posted finally! I was worried if this board wasn't visited very often! Glad that there's someone around yet! And you're right, there are really sooo many parallels to the life of an average teenager, you know, someone who isn't rich or very popular.
I've also got some friends like Sharon but I'm glad that I don't have them anymore because with them I couldn't be the person I am. Now I've also got Rayanne-like friends or friends like Ricky. And it's fine! But unfortunately there isn't really a Jordan but way too many Brians!!!!

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Oct 2nd 2007, 1:18 pm

dudn3000 wrote:Hey 4alifetime!
I'm glad that someone posted finally! I was worried if this board wasn't visited very often! Glad that there's someone around yet! And you're right, there are really sooo many parallels to the life of an average teenager, you know, someone who isn't rich or very popular.
I've also got some friends like Sharon but I'm glad that I don't have them anymore because with them I couldn't be the person I am. Now I've also got Rayanne-like friends or friends like Ricky. And it's fine! But unfortunately there isn't really a Jordan but way too many Brians!!!!

Hi Julia- all the way in Austria!

I wonder too if people are still visiting the site...I hope we didn't join too late! I posted my intro because I still see signs of life here and there, here's hoping people stick around!

I think we all have or had friends like Sharon and Rayanne- you are right it helps make us who we are in the end. And that's the great thing about life we are all different! My favorite part of that friendship triangle was how they showed that people are generally forced and expected to pick one side or be more like one type of person. I personally rather enjoyed the diversity in my friends in high school. It makes things intersting and keeps things from getting boring!
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.

dudn3000
Tino

Post by dudn3000 » Oct 4th 2007, 12:59 am

^^^
That's so true! When I look now at my former friends, the ones like Sharon, I just see perfect girls, make up, diets and a lot of boys who are interested in them without knowing them! Well, in my place it maybe harder to get a boyfriend, but if I get one, he loves me because it's ME and not someone I don't even know. I think that's the better choice and you're right, with my Rayanne-like friend, things neber get boring! :wink:

Sony!
Frozen Embryo

Post by Sony! » Nov 29th 2007, 6:01 pm

I think I am the only one from Colombia...
I don't know many things about the show, [an my english is not that well]; I've seen a few videos, and I found the site when I was looking for....something, it's an excellent site, I like it very much...
-"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time"
-"We must never lose it or give it away. We must NEVER let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the worlds turns, and that things get better"

echinacea
Frozen Embryo

Post by echinacea » Dec 21st 2007, 8:21 pm

Hi, I'm currently a sophomore in college so high school was, thankfully, a nightmare that i woke up from recently. I was about nine when the show first aired so I didn't see it until this station called NOGIN aired it for a time during the end of my sophomore year and saw maybe 10 (if that, I'm not big on TV and I had a heavy work load) of the 19. I understood the identity crisis of Angela, it actually was the main focus of my own diary. I also loved how the show was so unconventional, instead of a stereotypical teen drama it seemed real...
besides that: Im a studio art major (drawing I think) and global environmental studies, i like to cook, im an activist, i have a sarcastic sense of humor, and im trying to find what contentment means...um yes, nice to meet all of you.
N

fju2112
Frozen Embryo

Post by fju2112 » Dec 28th 2007, 9:29 am

it's always welcome to have a newbie thread :) i posted in the dvd section first as I was surprised to find the new DVD is $70.00 at amazon. Not sure if anyone has found a better deal - not that I'm not willing to pay it, I just don't want to pay retail price and then go to my local Newbury Comics (anyone here from New England?) and find out it's $49.99 or something.

As I posted in the DVD section, I loved this show, as do all of you here I'm sure. I noticed from the first time I watched it that the parents' issues being a part of the show were unique, that the intertwining relationships were not melodramatized, that the dialogue was much more meaningful than in any other teen show i had ever watched - and I am not a dawson's creek fan or any of that. I'm more a Lost/The Shield/Nip-Tuck/Sopranos kinda guy now when it comes to TV, and I never liked any of the melodrama teen shows. This show is certainly unique in that it captivates the audience and has real issues that teenagers face(d), at least in the 1990's.

I'm wondering if anyone has done an age poll...figure it out on me, as I was a senior in HS watching reruns of this show religiously in 1996-97 :)

Going to peruse the boards and the site more, and the more I post and look on here the more I'm convinced the $70 is worth it!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 28th 2007, 4:44 pm

The age of MSCL fans has been discussed before - check out this thread:
http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3093

And be sure to vote here too (although, in all fairness, I should add that some of us who voted when the poll was originally posted have since moved into new age brackets :lol: ):
http://www.mscl.com/polls/index.html

FYI - you can always use the search function if there is something specific you want to find in the forum!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Autumns_Confusion
Frozen Embryo

Post by Autumns_Confusion » Dec 29th 2007, 4:18 am

Hi, my name is Tracie and I live in New Orleans, LA. MSCL first aired when I was about 14. I was devoted to the show and completely adored it. I was upset when it wasn't renewed.
But I consoled myself by taping it from it's stint on MTV. I taped it and watched the episodes many times.

I was thrilled when my parents presented me with the DVD set for Christmas.
I spent the next 3 days watching the entire series again. Oh the memories it brought up! :D

At 27 and looking back on it, I realize just how ahead of it's time that show was and how big of an impact it had on my life both then and now.
I feel very fortunate that I was there with that show from the start.

I will admit that I am totally in love with the show. The charecters and story lines. It is in my top 3 favorite shows ever. I am so glad this forum and website exists!

Christina_in_color
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Christina_in_color » Jan 1st 2008, 10:52 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm Christina from the San Francisco area in California, USA, and MSCL is my favorite TV show. Admittedly, my mom was a drill sergeant about an early bed time during my youth, and so I didn't want much television when the show was in its original run. Luckily, I've discovered all the episodes this year, and I'm hooked. I'd love to meet Winnie...

Angela brings me back to a Jordan-like character that I had a crush/obsession with at 15. *Sigh* Even at 24, the show still speaks to me, so much, in fact, that I feel compelled to discuss it with all of you! When I bring up the show with my in-person friends they just look at me with jaded eyes that suggest they're thinking "I am so over this show. I wish you'd stop now..." I'm declaring myself on any unwritten Team Jordan list and looking forward to talking about all the characters, actors, writers, etc.

I'm so glad this site exists. All of the episode discussions and other posts that I've read have been fun to follow.

Abbaloushka
Tino

Post by Abbaloushka » Jan 10th 2008, 6:31 pm

Hi everyone.
I was a freshman in high school when MSCL aired, and I watched every episode. I taped as many as I could when it reran on MTV the next spring, but I didn't rewatch them after high school that I can remember. I bought the box set in December and have now watched every episode, special feature, and commentary (except Katims alone on So-Called Angels). I don't have any real life friends who are obsessed like I am. I've coerced my husband into watching a couple of episodes, but he gets all annoyed when characters cry, which happens way more often then I realized until he pointed it out. So, I've been reading here for a few weeks and am blown away by the old episode discussions- you all catch so much! I love hearing what you all think, and I'm glad to have somewhere to discuss MSCL.
Thanks!
I mean, that, uh, poem? That oak tree poem? That was yesterday. What are you going to write today?

Apollo Gilgamesh
Frozen Embryo

Post by Apollo Gilgamesh » Feb 9th 2008, 4:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm actually relatively new to MSCL. I've been a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a while, and when I learned that Joss Whedon pitched Buffy as My So-Called Life meets the X-Files, well, I thought that I should see what this show was all about. I started getting it from Netflix and halfway through I went and bought the DVD set. I'm in the process of watching the show for the second time. It is simply one of the best television series I have ever seen, and I'm really glad that I found it.

MonnyUK2
Three Rivers Resident

Post by MonnyUK2 » Feb 9th 2008, 8:14 pm

I found MSCL. com about 6 months a go and well I can't get enough. I redisovered the show at the same time. I to ordered the new box set from America and well I have been watching it again and again. I just watched the Halloween episode and I am on to the next episode in a minute. I loved the show when it first aired and I still love it so, so much. It is refreshing to know that there are so many others like me. There has to be a reunion show, they know how popular it is and it has fans fronm all over the world. Come on ABC you owe us after what you did to the show back in 95.